“Below Marriott standards”

Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel
Ranked #18 of 40 Hotels in McAllen
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed here for business travel. My observation is the "priceline consumer" will be impressed by this place and rate it 5 stars. However the seasoned business traveller such as myself, who has seen Marriotts, Westins, Four Seasons, worldwide, will be shocked.

1. Ants in my toothpaste. Upon waking up and trying to brush my teeth, tiny ants up and down my toothpaste tube in the bathroom trying to get a taste.
2. Horrible service at breakfast in restaurant. Maybe three tables with customers, total, and it took 20 minutes to get coffee poured and after we ate (food was average), it took a LONG time to get our check. Come on people.
3. Front desk - my issued key did not work, I had to walk all the way down for a new key
4. They finished a "remodel" but much of the hotel is still old and worn down.

Beds/Rooms are nice. Nothing against that.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Lisa S
sandyarnold, General Manager at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Business Traveler,
As a loyal Marriott guest, we wish to apologize for the experience during your visit. You are the person we cater to and when we do not meet your needs, we need to be proactive and make the changes to encourage you back. Please accept my sincere regret for those issues you mention. Ants in your room is not acceptable and I hope you reported this to the Front Desk so that we could get our pest elimination company on this matter immediately. You are correct, one should not have to wait 20 minutes in a very slow restaurant for service or the check and why your key did not work on the first try is puzzling. I would very much like to speak with you should you wish to allow us the opportunity to apologize . We believe in correcting the problem so if you wish to contact me at the hotel I would appreciate the chance to make this right.. Sandy Arnold

Reviewed September 16, 2012

For a number of years we have stayed at the Renaissance Casa de Palmas. What a great place to stay in the heart of McAllen. The staff are as always so friendly and helpful. The pool is great and we always ove our rooms opening on to the courtyard and pool. The restaurant has and excellent selection of great food. We would not stay any where else on our trips to McAllen !

• Stayed: August 2012
sandyarnold, General Manager at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words. We always appreciate when you can take the time to share your experience with others. Hope to see you return to Renaissance Casa De Palmas soon. Sandy Arnold, General Manager

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Have stayed in Mcallen - Courtyard (very good) Mcallen Residence in (very good) Townplace Suites (very good) But for a Renaissance this should have been the best of the bunch and was not. it is a historical site but as a renaissance but sure is slightly "long in the tooth" - small dark rooms - ordered the tortilla soup and it tasted like water with tomato and chicken with no spices or salt at all, can soup would have been better. they brought bread with the meal it was hard and tasted old. The people are some of the friendliest in the city. They have more tv channels in the workout room than they do in the rooms - (go figure that) i called service and they came in an checked and confirmed (yes) do not know why but if you want to see certain series at night you have to go to the workout room. Concierge level is fair - simple faire but for the price it was ok. Not really pleased with the room suite- very dark- window opens up to the garage -
they are remodleing the bar and foyer maybe the rooms are next

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on the recent visit to our Renaissance Casa De Palmas Hotel. I am so sorry that our soup was not very exciting. My apology and I will make sure our chef is aware of the soup and bread items you mention. As well, our Club Level. More importantly we really appreciate the comment about our team being the friendliest. Sometimes with a historic hotel we need to overcome smaller rooms than the newer built hotels, but you can always overcome some shortfalls with a great team. Again, thanks for the feedback and hope you will be back soon. Sandy Arnold, General Manager

Reviewed August 25, 2012

A business trip took colleagues and me to the McAllen-Reynosa area. We chose the Casa de Palmas based on it being a Marriott-Renaissance and having a bit of history.

The public areas were under renovation during our visit ... amply spelled-out on their website if you visit it first ... it is a renovation that is well needed.

The building is a bit architecturally trapped into the Mexican-colonial flavor that prevailed during the period of its rebuilding. There isn't much that could be done to alter it. So guests need to like it for what it is. The two courtyards at the entryway and in the interior are charming. The swimming pool apparently overflows with ground water when it rains, so was closed for part of our visit.

If your visit takes you to downtown McAllen, the hotel is a short walk away.

The hotel staff, except the restaurant, was friendly, attentive and professional.

My room was well-apointed and clean. There was some noise from an adjoining room, but no external noise as reported by other reviewers.

There is a tidy/clean workout room with newer treadmills, elliptical machines and one bicycle. There is one set of decrepit free weights and one bench. There is virtually no room or provision for floor workouts.

Why are there ash trays on every balcony if this is a 100% non-smoking hotel?

The restaurant was a disappointment ... W-A-Y overpriced for what it offers, even considering it is a hotel restaurant. One evening I ordered a steak. The waitress asked if it was cooked to my liking; I replied "No", and she turned-around and walked-off. After a couple of attempts scouring the menu to find an appropriate value proposition I ate elsewhere.

My experience with Renaissance-branded hotels is that they are normally very pleasant places to stay with very few glitches. This hotel has yet to achieve that level of competence.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Cigano-Gitano
sandyarnold, General Manager at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear Cigano-Gitano,
Your comments were truly appreciated and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Yes we are doing a lobby area renovation and very excited to be able to preview this in the next two weeks. All your observations are appreciated and I have shared them with my team. I am so sorry your restaurant experience did not meet our standards let alone yours. I am currently developing a staff that prides itself on customer service and service recovery and I appreciate your evaluation of that encounter. Please let me know if you are returning to McAllen soon so that I can show you our improvements and buy you one of our great steak entrees. Warmly, Sandy Arnold

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Always stay a few miles away near the new convention center and decided to try something new. It was perfect - Alex at the front desk was very helpful in getting us the best room available and clearing up a double booking I had created. Rooms have fantastic balconies where you can sit overlooking the pool and fountain. Breakfast with service by Naomi was also just perfect. I had read reviews about noise and parking but had none of those problems. They even put spa music on in the mornings - never do this but turned off Fox News & opened the balcony doors to enjoy the music. Finding our way around the hotel was a little confusing but so worth it. Thanks so much to Alex, Ashley & Naomi and countless others who make this property so welcoming. *Blueberry Smoothie Samples were a nice touch~

Room Tip: Ask for room 241 - if you need a double room - it is right in the middle of the hotel and the balcon...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I have stayed here often over the last several years and really enjoy both the hotel service and its architecture. It has a "real" swimming pool, with a deep end. The rooms facing the courtyard have balconies and the rooms have some personality. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. For the first time I arranged a business meeting and they could not have been more helpful and took away a lot of the usual stress of planning such a meeting.

Room Tip: I like the rooms on the inside because of the balconies. There are several corner suites with refri...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I recently visited McAllen for a work event and found the Casa de Palmas to be a wonderful hotel. The courtyard was clean and inviting. The food at the restaurant was excellent. The staff was helpful and the rooms were cozy and clean. I would definitely recommend this. I loved the winding staircase and the cool, relaxed feel of the facility.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business