“Worth the visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of El Divino

El Divino
Ranked #38 of 446 Restaurants in McAllen
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Worth the visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

After a very exhausting week I received a very possitive recommendation about this place, so even on a ling Friday, I tried it for a couple of drinks and a light dinner. The place is completely different compared to other McAllen restaurants, decoration and ambience is nice (a bit loud ar night) with friendly staff, a very well stocked bar and a simple -yet delicious- menu. Will I be back? If course!

1 Thank GerardoFoodie

Edinburg, Texas
“Very good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

I won't lie. I had a steak and I can't remember the name of the dish but it was tender and full of flavor. The drinks are amazing as well. My husband and I sat at the bar to eat and we were in a trance looking at what the bartenders were creating. It was a joy to go somewhere in town and feel like I was back home in the big city.

McAllen, Texas
“Not afraid? You will be.....(voice of Yoda)”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

Epic failure!!! Went here for valentines day dinner. After being seated we noticed that 6 tables sat after us were being waited on, for us, still no wait service. Brought it to the attention of the hostess and she sent a temp waitress who we know and adore, and yet another waiter came by and said hi to us. The 5 course meal ranged from mediocre to just plain horrible. The regurgitated shrimp appetizer tasted like day old refrigerator shrimp barfed up by Ed Couch/Elsa goats (no disrespect to the goats), served cold and smelled horrific. As it was served by the lethargic waitress, she proceeded to tell us how the "chef" had won the McAllen Top Chef award. She neglected to tell us that he was competing against the chef from El Pato and the fry cook at a local burger joint. Course 2 was a $4 HEB lobster tail served with the corn you get out of a cup at the local snack joints. Also old and smelly but digestible. I got a txt from a friend who was watching me from another table, "how was the shrimp, LOL!" Pork bellies are next on the menu.....served with who knows what and syrup....Almost pulled it off but who wants sweet bacon? Next was the 1.5 oz filet, served nice and dry (I know it had been sitting in a rack or under a heat lamp). At this point I asked the waitress for salt and anything that would help cover up the bland excuse for protein being laid before me. She acted insulted and said the chef doesn't allow salt to be placed on the tables. To help us get through the rancid taste in our mouths they brought a mini testicular looking crème brulee in a raspberry sauce (served cold but doable). Went to the bathroom, saw a co-worker in there who was going off about the size and price of the meal, came back out and asked for the check. After 2 hrs of being at the table I really couldn't wait for the last course, I wanted out. We got the last course, ice cream melted, not bad but again, probably sat under a heat lamp. Check $500 for 2 adults and 2 kids. Kids were not drinking but after this experience they will probably become alcoholics. I don't ever write reviews, but after having a 60-75% fail ratio at this place its time people know. On a previous experience a waiter passed off lard as a bacon infused bread topping (another EPIC failure). Most people in McAllen think high price = quality (either from ignorance or a lack of decent eateries in the area). Please be warned, go to any franchise restaurant for a better experience, come to El Divino if you want to be seen throwing away your money for some of the worst food you will find in the world. This is no longer the original El Divino where Isaac would come up, seat you, and say "let me order for you" and then have heaven melt in your mouth. This place has a kid who watched a little too much HGTV, got some Manteca and a few other dumpster items to come up with an infusion of garbage my dogs would not eat......

• Visited February 2014
McAllen, Texas
“Not afraid? You will be......you will be...(voice of Yoda)”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

• Visited February 2014
5 Thank Hankmiester2014
eldivinorgv, Owner at El Divino, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Well Hankmiester, for a guy who never writes reviews you seemed to have singled out our restaurant twice and mentioned Isaac in both reviews. Since you must know him you should also know that he was only a part of the downtown restaurant for the first 8 months of its two and a half years of operation at that location. I chose to not respond to your review in June 2013 but now feel that I need to set the record straight. It is one thing to not like the food or service and comment on that, but your comments have gone way beyond that and are downright mean and misinformed on many points.

To put things straight, I have been the initial investor and owner of El Divino both downtown and at its current location in North McAllen. We have been very lucky and proud to have had four very talented chefs in our kitchen since opening and your referral to any one of them as a "short order cook" having worked at "BK" or any other "burger joint" is an insult to them and obviously nothing you know anything about. Our current chef Eugenio Uribe did in fact win the March of Dimes Top Chef Award for 2014 and competed against the chefs at Spork, Fromage Bistro, La Recova, Remington’s Steakhouse, and Riverside Club. Your referral to him competing against the chef at El Pato and a "burger joint" again is downright mean since you were obviously misinformed about this event and who actually participated.

We take great pride in our food and drinks being offered and I can assure you that only the best and freshest ingredients are used both in our food and cocktails. Our Valentine's menu was posted on our website as well as Facebook and told to everyone who called for reservations. If you did not like what was on the menu then you should have chosen a different restaurant.

By the way, we have had many great reviews and have been mentioned in Texas Monthly three times with the most recent being January 2014. Maybe you should read what they have written about us. We are very thankful for our customers and want everyone who enters our doors to have a wonderful and satisfying experience with us. We are constantly striving to improve on our menu and cocktails offering items that you won't find anywhere else in McAllen. I stand behind my staff and am proud of them all.

William Smith, Owner of El Divino
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great mixologist”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Some food options are beyond delicious while other lack flavor. The cocktails and drinks never disappoint. The atmosphere is great and the staff has its days but overall great service.

• Visited October 2013