“Excellent”
Review of Zuzhi - CLOSED

Zuzhi
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Description: Hungry: Start off your night by feeding your innermost culinary desires in our new McAllen setting in La Plaza Mall. Experience a journey though world-class Asian cuisine with a select and experienced staff that offers outstanding customer service.
Laredo, Texas
“Excellent”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great Place and Great Service.
I Highly recommend you check it out.

• Visited July 2012

Austin, Texas
“Fashion & Sushi- my two faves!”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Def a place to visit during your stay in McAllen! I went while they had a fashion show going on by some local boutique… 1. Loved the clothes they were showcasing and it was on a runway!. 2. They had a great cocktail selection (try the Flirtini) 3. Their sashimi is to die for (one of their sashimi dishes has a delicious lemon soy sauce with sesame seeds that made my mouth water)!

They’ve got a pretty cool design going on which kind of reminded me of some of the ritzier sushi places in San Antonio in Austin. Makes you forget you are in McAllen!

Don’t even get me started on their beautiful chandelier- I wanted to take it and put it in my living room!

• Visited May 2012
McAllen, Texas
“worst sushi i have ever had”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I love sushi and i visited this place and looks amazing on the inside but its all a cover for there terrible sushi. I went with 3 different friends we all got rolls that seemed appealing and we all sampled eachothers... I didint like one single piece of sushi from there. I had to just eat the rice which was only ok... everything was overpriced too.

• Visited January 2012
San Juan, Texas
“Don't expect anything Earth-shattering!!!”
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I had visited this establishment before my most recent visit. I had lunch with a colleague and we were both trying this sushi restaurant shortly after it initially opened. Having frequented several other sushi restaurants were we both initially disappointed by our experience. We tried four different types of sushi rolls, crab salads, and edamame. As far as taste goes, like the title of my review states nothing to write home about. I returned to this place with my family recently hoping that some changes had been made, but were disappointed again. My brother-in-law, who is from Houston, was particularly disappointed about the taste and price. I had warned him of my previous experience but he opted to give it a chance. My wife and sister-in-law were both displeased as well. You just seem to chow down on the rolls not being able to really pick out a distinguishing feature. For example, the imitation crab really tastes like imitation with its rubbery texture and overly sweet taste. I have given this establishment two tries, and it has let me down both times. I will state that the food is not terrible or not prepared well, but I think that the problem lies with their choice of ingredients.

• Visited January 2012
South Texas
“New York Chic in Small Town McAllen”
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Found this by accident when I searched for a Japanese restaurant in McAllen. We usually go to Kumori Uptown, which we find superior, but Zuzhi may be another fave McAllen Japanese restaurant. First, the atmosphere is by far the best in this area for a Japanese restaurant. Large space and VERY New York contemporary chic. The menu (down side--hard to read in the dark lighting) is extensive and has sushi choices that are unusual along with the regular. Yes, there is a Rainbow roll, but there is also a Reynosa roll that is filled with fresh raw fish inside and out, cilantro, and the best--a squirt of delicious grapefruit sauce which adds a touch of taste bud excitement. Our appetizer, a spicy tuna salad, was indeed spicy (which we love) and tucked within were large leaves of seaweed that tasted like it was fresh from the sea. The sliced cucumber could have used more acidity with rice vinegar, but overall was fresh and good. We ended with green tea ice-cream--served in a martini glass: classy! Bottom line, very good Japanese restaurant. A surprising find in McAllen. We will be back!

• Visited March 2011