“Frida's”

Fridas Grill and Cantina
Ranked #44 of 450 Restaurants in McAllen
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Come for the food, stay for the wine!
McAllen, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Frida's”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Went to Frida's for the first time and had a great experience. The food was delicious and like no other. The service was excellent and I would definitely recommend it.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Erika G

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“We Lucked Out”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

It is a bit difficult to find a restaurant open the days after Christmas in a densely populated south Texas, Catholic area. We popped in to Frida's and were impressed by the martinis, the lamb chops and duck (delicioso) and ran into the owner and some of his relatives who just happened to be having a holiday dinner. The owner engaged us in a friendly chat and insisted that we have some dessert (brulee and something else rich) which we declined because we were so full of the nice meal, but he brought out anyway, without charge. We are looking forward to returning next Dec.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank satrax
Northampton, Massachusetts
“Quirky and Excellent”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I was traveling on business and one of my two colleagues noticed this quirky restaurant on Trip Advisor. We wandered in after a long, dusty day on the road on business, and discovered a gem. It's authentic high-end Mexican cuisine at a rediculously modest price point. We enjoyed a leisurely dinner at the early five o'clock hour on a day very light on customers. As a result, we experienced superior service, a couple of no-charge tastings, and a personal visit from the owner (Frida? - I forgot to ask).

We started with a very eclectic margarita - Chuma / Mango, if I recall correctly. Distinctive and refreshing. We shared the tableside-prepared guacamole, which likewise was excellent. I had the Chili Relleno - creative and delicious. My colleagues enjoyed a shrimp dish and a fish dish - again, all excellent. Too full for dessert, we were treated to a shared cheesecake empanada with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce. Spectacular!

We are only somewhat familiar with the lay of the land in McAllen. I will say that the street that Frida's is located on, while safe and sound on a quiet weekday early evening, is nestled among a number of nightspots that probably generate a lot of young, livlier patrons than likely patronize an upscale restaurant such as Frida's. Be aware of that when you venture in. All in all, this unique restaurant is highly recommended.

1 Thank SkyKingBoston
McAllen, Texas
“Excellent Food, Great Service”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Highly recommended, the service was superb and the food was really good,
I took my wife for dinner yesterday (tuesday night, not a busy day in the place), and we ordered the "Agujas" and the "milanesa de res", both entrees were really good, well served in size and very well presented, sides were also good, "Charros beans" for the Agujas and rice and Guacamole for with the milanesa, very tasty and nicelly presented dishes.
For dessert we had the "Cheese cake Empanadas", these are truly delicious, have caramel for topping and ice cream for side, "beautiful" !
The food is prepared at the moment and it is all home style, with excellent quality.
Prices are reasonable, not cheap, but not too expensive.
The place is nice and decoration makes you feel comfortable to stay longer.

Excellent place, i will definetly recommend it.

2 Thank Joe M
“Great place”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I love to come here on date night. Great drinks awesome service. I have never seen a "fruit fly" as some one else mentioned. Very clean, delucious food.

2 Thank Monica F