“Reasonable prices”

Costa Messa Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Costa Messa Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 457 Restaurants in McAllen
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Santa Fe, Texas
“Reasonable prices”
Reviewed June 27, 2010

I was anxious to try this place as I'd heard some good reviews. It was quite crowded and loud (as another noted). That doesn't bother me necessarily, though. The line snaked out the door, but our wait was minimal and we were seated quite promptly. The food is what I would call "OK"--I'd most likely eat there again for a cheap lunch. Most entrees were in the $8 to $15 range. The three salsas they serve with the chips are good--my food was a little on the bland side and the salsa added a little interest. I had a chile relleno stuffed with carne guisada and smothered with a ranchero sauce. We both had cheese enchiladas which looked and tasted as if they were both stuffed and topped with imitation Velveeta. Not a good thing--I would make it a point to avoid those in the future. This was not truly Mexican cuisine, but what you tend to see in the Valley, a mix of Tex-Mex and border cooking. The guac was good, rice and beans fair. Those people who recommend this as as good as "real" Mexican restaurants must have eaten at some troughs! LOL! Definitely don't bother getting "dressed up" to go. Despite the waitstaff in bowties and vests, diners can feel comfortable in tanks, shorts, and flip-flops.

1 Thank TexasChango

San Antonio
“For excellent Mexican food and service in the McAllen area, this is the place to go.”
Reviewed March 1, 2010

If you want excellent Mexican food, unbelievable service in an amazing atmosphere this is the place to go. I have been there numerous times and am always eager to go there again. My experience has been favorable every time. No other Mexican Restaurant in the area compares to the taste of the food and the special attention given to make sure the customer is taken care of. Every dish is superb. I want to try everything in the menu with time. I can't wait to go there again!!!

bsyizy32
“I've been to Mexican restaurants, in Mexico, and Costa Messa puts them to shame”
Reviewed February 28, 2010

I travel quite extensively in my career, and when I know I will be traveling to McAllen, TX, I know I will be dining at Costa Messa. The portions are huge for the bargain prices. I can't say I have a favorite dish as I try something new everytime I go there. Let's just say my favorite dish is the one I had last time, because the experience just seems to get better and better with every visit I make. This is the perfect place to unwind, have a tequila, or a margarita, and enjoy the atmosphere, food and great service. Keep up the great work, I will be back.
Israel Cardoza
President/CEO
Hardline Digital Television, LLC.

McAllen
“Superb but noisy.”
Reviewed October 10, 2009

I can't single out one dish. Everything I have tried here is superb. Some of the best Mexican food in McAllen. My only complaint is that the walls echo and this place does get VERY noisy when the lunch rush is on. Be prepared for that but enjoy the food.

1 Thank macradio
Fernandina Beach FL
“Twice in One Week”
Reviewed June 18, 2009

Always a key to eat at the same restaurant twice in one week - once for lunch and another for dinner. Fast, efficient service without feeling rushed and a wide selection of tasty food. Be careful of the green sauce served with the chips - looks like guacamole but it will set you on FIRE! The queso sauce is a bit more tame but still has a lingering kick on it and then there is always the standard salsa.
Cheese enchilados, fish tacos and burittos were all excellent!

1 Thank dlwinger