“Great Tex Mex & Mex” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Costa Messa Restaurant

Costa Messa Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 445 Restaurants in McAllen
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Medford, Massachusetts
“Great Tex Mex & Mex”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

A Trip Advisor review several years ago raved about the Costa Messa, with the caveat that you might have to wait in a line and that it was noisy because it was often crowded. Based on that review, we visited the restaurant. The occasional line is because the food and drinks are so good at very reasonable prices, and the noise is because everyone is having fun with a great meal and nightly visits by Mariachi bands. The mood is always festive. They have both Tex-Mex and true Mexican menu items. Their frozen house margaritas are the elixir of life. They serve chips with three salsas and vegetable soup with each meal. It is not a gourmet restaurant; just one of the best Tex-Mex restaurants I've ever been to. We dream about eating at Costa Messa before every trip to McAlllen. (We've been going for more than five years.) I only wish there was a Tex-Mex restaurant like this within 2 hours of Boston. Can't wait for my next visit in February 2015.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Paul R

McAllen, Texas
“Best Tex-Mex food in McAllen, TX”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

When Costa Messa was just a small hole-in-the-wall place just a block off the main drag in McAllen, it was good food. Over the years, it has become great food. The proportions are large and the food is always done well. It is authentic Tex-Mex and we never tire of the place. We usually hit the place once a week and when we return home after traveling we always look forward to returning to this restaurant. It now has 2 places and the same great food is available at both locations. The 2nd location is right along 10th street so it is easily found. Many people (family & friends) ask me, "Where is the best the best Mexican food in the area?" Hands down, this is it. We either order the Sombrero or the Enchilada Suisses (green enchiladas). Sometimes, we order a Mango Margarita and it is always great. Hope you like it as much as we do.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank jnutting
McAllen, Texas
“Ideal for visitors”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

As a person that works right on10th street and eats out for lunch all over, I would highly recommend Costa Messa, the food is varied and perfect for meat lovers, I totally enjoy the 3 types of salsas they serve with chips, I can't never decide on a favorite, the ambience is noisy but the low lights make it relaxing, is a nice building in a central location and the waitresses are courteous it is just perfect for a family or friends get together.

• Visited March 2014
RGV in texas
“Over rated Mexican food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

Save your $!!!! I found the food to be less than average. Their listed as FINE dinning...their food is far from it. Atmosphere is great...but don't waste your money. There are better mom and pop's/ holes in the wall that make better Mexican food in the RGV. I am a transplant in the RGV all I wanted was good Tex Mex and this was not it. Never again.

• Visited April 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Pataskala, Ohio
“A unique option of foods”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

My parents are winter Texans and I visit them often through the years. I am well aware of the cultural differences that exist in the Valley area. (I think it is great!) We are always looking to try a different place. First of all this restaurant is not easy to find. It is off of a dead end side street. We found it with the help of my phone GPS, but my parents are older and I don't think they would have found it on their own.
It was very busy and had mostly locals there. (not a problem for me) They spoke good English, so we didn't have any problems. The menu had a lot of different options that you don't always see on other menus. The chips were OK (I have had much better.), but the salsas were excellent. They bring 3 types. One is a cilantro base, the other is a mayo base with spices, and the other is a chunky tomato salsa.
It does have a low ceiling and it was sort of loud. I already knew this from the other reviews. It wasn't terrible though. The quality of the food made up for the atmosphere.
I am amused that they call themselves "fine dining". I think it is an excellent family style casual restaurant. The water stains on the base boards and a few other problems for me does not put it in the "fine dining" category.
We had a nice lunch and well worth the trip.

• Visited February 2014