“That pink salsa is unbelievably good!”

Costa Messa Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Costa Messa Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 464 Restaurants in McAllen
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Great service, decent prices, very good Enchiladas Poblanas, excellent chips, including blue, red, and yellow corn and white wheat tortilla chips(I think they are going for the Mexican Flag effect), good salsa verde and pico de gallo (could be a little hotter), and ridiculously good "chimichurri" salsa. Not sure if he was pulling my leg but he told me it was a specialty of Toluca (NB it is NOT the Argentinian sauce of the same name!). Chile de Arbol, Ajo, Aceite, Sal- that is the whole thing according to my waiter. If so, they do a great job. I really like this place. Is it the best Mexican restaurant ever? No, but it is really good and comfortable and reasonable and they have Negra Modelo so I am happy. Also, the flan is fantastic!!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I went with here from a recommendation of a friend. I got there the service took for ever to get my order. Then when my order got there the food was average I could have cook it better at my house. So save your money and skip it waste of money.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Costa Messa is a favorite of many. It does have a very good menu, and two of the three types of salsa served with the chips are very good (the usual type is thin and watery). I am commenting on the new location, on North 10th street. We gave up on the old one because no one in the building ever spoke a syllable of English, and the tables were so jammed together you could hardly pull your chair out far enough to sit down, and the food preparation was too authentically greasy for our taste. At the new location there is plenty of table space (and a few booths), however you may or may not get an English speaking waiter. They do come to your table quickly after you have been seated, but once your food has arrived that is the last you will see of them until you get your check (which itself may take an extra while)--speaking on the basis of several visits. The noise is quite intolerable, and you may have trouble communicating with your companions, which is no fun. Also intolerable are the mariachis, who are way too loud, garish in tone, and out of tune, so you may want to come at an early enough hour before they arrive and hover. Mexican food near the border is unexplainably not very good, and Costa Messa is a good cut above the competition. So we have kept coming, but every time we leave we keep resolving we can't come again. We'll see. At least the food is good.

1  Thank Reservata2
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I always seek out Mexican "mas authentico" when possible and Cosa Messa did not disappoint. Nacho and 3x sauce starters were great (especially the creamy garlic thing), cold Carta Blancas refreshing and chicken frajitas with those sweet, puffy corn tortillas were perfect. The service was fast and attentive and the place was only half full on a Wednesday night. There are, of course, Mariachis on hand for noisy canciones but it kind of annoys me when I am repeatedly offered a song when seated only with another man and we are obviously neither drunk nor romantically involved. Just sayin.

I have to ding the rating based on the cheap, wobbly table, slightly above average prices and total lack of atmosphere and worn, darker interior. But the food was great- good enough for a take home box even.

1  Thank CaptainAmerica
Reviewed October 11, 2013

me and my date went here tonight. Before coming I already knew about the noise issue that most had talked about here on Trip Advisor but I still tried either way. I have been to the bar section during the early evening hours which is only partitioned from the dining area of the restaurant.
This establishment use to be a martini lounge that went by another name and under different owners. I remember when they had constructed the place about 8 years ago and the various name changes it went through before it became a Mexican restaurant. But the fact that it use to be a martini lounge might have something to do with the design of the place or construction as to why it sounds so loud. normal restaurant conversation seems amplified which I figure is a given since before they had live music or dj's before it was converted to a family restaurant.

The restaurant itself has a nice ambience like most Mexican restaurants aim for here in the valley. one of the good things about this place was our server who came to our table and was attentive throughout the night as he served and took our orders. When he came with our menu's he greeted us by shaking mine and my dates hand which is something I've never experienced here in my home area of the valley or in ANY of the other travels through out the US from Boston to Orlando, and as far away to L.A. I actually liked that personal form of greet from our waiter. Me and my date each picked enchilada plates though she had green chili and I had red chili enchiladas. They were good, which says a lot when compared to other similar priced, styled Mexican restaurants like Ponchos, Palenque Grill, Casa Del Taco and such.
The dishes were not over priced which was a big surprise. There was a mariachi group present that sang under an area with a some what grand chandler who was lead by a female singer. That actually made my night but my date felt the opposite because of how loud the music was. I didn't mind and I thought it was rather romantic.
Another annoyance she had was that every so often different mariachi singers with a guitar kept coming by our table as we were holding conversation taking music request. In the 1 hour or so that we dined out, we were approached 3 times, each time saying no thank you. But my date seemed most irritated only due to the interruptions but this is how some of them make a living and put food on the table, so I have no major beef with this but some may be put off by this. BUT this is something that should be expected when you come and dine out at a Mexican restaurant anywhere in the Rio Grande Valley. I don't know if this is something that they do in San Antonio or El Paso but this is second nature to the valley when it comes to the dining experience at Mexican restaurants. My father always makes requests and dedicates love songs to my mother when me and my sister were growing up and he still does them to this day.

either way the service from our waiter is TOP NOTCH. Food is okay and doesn't offend. it is loud but that is fine and it is price decently which is a big surprise. I would recommend this place to friends and will return sometime down the road.

1  Thank SNE544