β€œOn a downward slide”

Residence Inn McAllen
Ranked #29 of 40 Hotels in McAllen
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have been to this hotel before and the service and perks are diminishing as time goes by. The housekeeping empties the room trash cans most days but not every day. They have 2 signs up for the evening light meal. One states Monday-Thursday and the other Monday-Wednesday. And it is Mon-Wed now. Breakfast starts later then practical for most business travelers. I was going to stay 2 weeks, however after considering my options; I decided to check out early and in to another hotel for the duration of my trip. The staff was very polite and professional at the desk and dinning room. I wanted to grill a stake one evening and found the gas grill was not very clean and in very poor condition. I stay at this type of hotel so I can avoid eating out every night while on the road and I really enjoy a grilled stake about once a week. With all the choices for hotels in the area (allot of them less then 3 years old), I really think they need to either re model or rebuild in a new location. They need to also check out the competition if they want to be above them. I Love the Marriott brand and try to stay when ever I can. However when you’re on the road 200 days a year or more only great hotels will do. I look forward to coming back in the future and I will try them again if I see changes have been made.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Joshua R, General Manager at Residence Inn McAllen, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Hello, thank you for giving your feedback on your recent stay. I apologize for not meeting your expectations. We actually have order new parts for the grill and it should be here the week of May 20th. I will address the housekeeping issue and we have removed the old brochures at the front desk that had the old time for dinner. I would like to make this right and earn your business again. I thank you for your loyalty to Marriott and to our Hotel. Please email me your contact so I could speak with you further. Thank you again.

joshua.rodriguez@pillarhotels.com

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many months over the last year, and it has been by far the best Marriott experience I've had. The staff is very hospitable and friendly, rooms are clean and well maintained, breakfast is excellent on a regular basis. I would not stay anywhere but the Residence Inn while visiting McAllen.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Joshua R, General Manager at Residence Inn McAllen, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and great comments. We will share with the staff. We look forward to your next visit and we thank you for your loyalty to Marriott.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

The hotel was clean and welcoming. I average 170 days a year at marriott hotels. This is one of the best Residence Inns that I have stayed at. The hotel staff was very helpful and supportive. Their shuttle service to near by places to eat made it easy to get places without a car.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay once again. We strive always to give great service and clean rooms. We look forward to your next visit and see you soon. Take care

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I recently used this hotel as a along stay property for our tour group. We stayed for 18 days in one and two bedroom units. The hotel is small, very clean and well maintained. The units are good size altough we found the placement of the living room furniture in our unit, a bit odd and rearranged it for our stay. The kitchens are well equipped with dishes, pots etc. and have a full size fridge, a stove top, microwave, coffee maker, toaster and dishwasher. They provide dish cloths and dish soap.
There are light suppers with beverages, three days a week. The food was fine, it's not meant to be a big dinner. The hotel is within walking distance to a couple restaurants and the hotel offers a shuttle service to shopping and restaurants and the airport. There are lots of restaurants in the area and a large mall is a few minutes away. It is a short drive to downtown and to many attractions.
The staff is wonderful. From front desk to maids, maintainance were helpful, friendly, made you welcome. The manager and sales staff regularly helped at the front desk, visited with guests, helped carry luggage and always had a time to answer questions and that says a lot in my opinion. They care.
There is a pool and hot tub off the lobby. If I have a complaint it is the lack of pool lounges and the old outdoor furniture. I think there were 4 lounges and 3 had broken straps. All the pool funiture should be updated. I also realize hotel funiture takes an awful beating from guest and it is costly to replace.
Will I be back? Absolutely!! l checked out several suite hotels for our tour before deciding on the Residence Inn. I can confidently say our client enjoyed the hotel, had only good comments. I know that whenever we are in Texas we will be staying here

Room Tip: avoid the rooms close to the elevator and the laundry. Can be noisy at time. there are limited saf...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Joshua R, General Manager at Residence Inn McAllen, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time and giving us your feedback. We really enjoyed having your group here and look forward to your next return. Thanks again and have a great summer.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I travel to McAllen frequently and have stayed at other hotels, but none are as good as the Residence Inn Marriott in McAllen. They have always been friendly and accommodating despite how busy they are. I have had questions about dining and a variety of things and they are always ready with the answer or ready to find the answer.
They greet me with a friendly smile and seem to genuinely care about my stay. The rooms are clean and spacious. The bed is comfortable and welcoming. The location is great as well, close to the gym down the street and the hospitals nearby.
Thank you McAllen Residence Inn for the home away from home.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Joshua R, General Manager at Residence Inn McAllen, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time and letting us know about the staff. We appreciate the feedback and we strive to provide great service to all. We thank you for your loyalty every month and we always enjoy having you as one of our guests. Thanks again and see you soon.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed on a business trip for two nights in McAllen Texas. The hotel was clean, the breakfast was delicious, and the accommodations even better than we expected. But what puts this hotel ahead of the rest is the service and the people working at the hotel. Everyone was very friendly and quick to help if there was a question or need. Every little detail was taken care of, phone calls were made, phone cords found, access to the meeting room arranged. Not once did we feel we they were put-out, but they smiled and helped and asked what else we needed. I would DEFINITELY stay here again if we come back down to Texas. Our whole group was so impressed!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Joshua R, General Manager at Residence Inn McAllen, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time and giving us your feedback. We are very proud of our team service and appreciate your comments. We always strive to give our best service and clean suites as you experienced. Thanks again for your time and we look forward to your next visit to McAllen.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed one week while visiting family; would likely not go back to this hotel.
The good: rooms are very large, most with a full kitchen. Beds are quite comfortable; bathroom is adequate. Cleaning staff did a great job every day.
The not so good: furniture is well worn, with an armchair that has most of the finish scraped off. Windows are not clear (moisture??) and difficult to open. The vanity and sink are outside the bathroom and adjacent the bed; so it's impossible for one person to get cleaned up without waking anyone else in the room. As is often the case, one cannot turn on the bathroom light without also turning on an annoyingly loud fan.
A laundry room on our floor was very convenient.
The breakfast was somewhat worse than anything else we encountered on this trip. Cut up fruit consisted solely of pineapple... in an area where oranges and grapefruit abound. Scrambled eggs and DIY waffles were the mainstay of the breakfast. Coffee was "available" during the evening, but it was always cold.
Staff were friendly, but we were surprised at how little local knowledge front desk personnel had. Inquiries about local restaurants were not well answered, nor our questions about things to see and do in the area.
The hotel is somewhat difficult to locate, with an address that most GPS devices would not find. Although it is quite close to the main highway it is surprisingly quiet. There is a wonderful walking/running/cycling trail one short block away.

Room Tip: There is some walking noise from the room above, so pick the top floor if you can.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your feedback on your current stay. We appreciate your time and comments regarding your suite. The Hotel is making arrangements for replacing the chairs you saw. We will visit with the Front Desk staff to have more information available. Thanks again for your time.