“Excellent option in McAllen- absolutely loved it!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton McAllen
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in McAllen
San Antonio, Texas
“Excellent option in McAllen- absolutely loved it!”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for about 2 1/2 weeks, including a major holiday, on business. I was thoroughly satisfied with my stay from start to finish. The room was very comfortable, and cleaned thoroughly each day. I was grateful to have complimentary, reliable internet access in the room, as well as a copy of USA Today delivered to the room on weekdays. I appreciated so much having a hot breakfast available each morning and dinner Mon.- Thu. evenings. As a previous reveiwer noted, the food available is not always the healthiest from a low fat/low cal. perspective, but cold cereal and yogurt were always options at breakfast, and a fresh salad was always an option at dinner. The refried beans and tortillas served each morning at breakfast, as well as some of the dinner menu reflects the ethnicity of the area; McAllen is a border town and it seemed to me the majority of the visitors (not counting the US govt. personnel staying there) were Mexican- either Christmas shopping, visiting family, or both. The exercise room was small, but more than adequate- and was well-equipped with Precor cardio equipment (with individual TV's), free weights, and exercise balls; an exercise mat, full length mirror, water and towels were also available, as was an outdoor pool and basketball half-court. The small business center was a separate room with two computers and a printer, all of which were in working condition- and importantly, quiet and conducive to working! The hotel was walking distance to a Cracker Barrel and a Five Guys Burgers and Fries restaurant; many other restaurants (Mimi's Cafe; Cheddar's; PF Changs; Subway; Whataburger; Wienerschnitzel; etc.) are within a mile or two of the hotel. The front desk were friendly and professional; the ladies who worked keeping the food stations were filled were also pleasant and helpful. The only negatives I can think of are occasional airplane noise (the hotel is over the flight path to the airport, which is close by) and the shopping center location- it is next door to an Academy Sports store and a Marriott Springhill Suites. Nevertheless, I would highly recommend this hotel for either a business or a leisure stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
McAllen, Texas, United States
Reviewed October 16, 2011

While being away from home, for quite sometime, i could hardly tell the difference. While it cant compare to my actual home, i wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in McAllen. From the courteous, staff and management, to the warm atmosphere. I love it here. They will go above and beyond to make sure you are comfortable during your stay. This establishment could compete with a 5 star facility any day! So if you are looking for a place to stay while visiting McAllen, TX, weather it be business or pleasure this is the place to be. Don't take my word for it come and check it out. You probably will not want to leave.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side offer a great view of the pool, and courtyard area. Great on a sunny day to...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
HomewoodMcAllen, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton McAllen, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
I am so happy you enjoyed your stay and took the time to write such a great review regarding your visit.

We are so proud to have all of our associates take personal pride to make sure every guests has a memorable stay! You are Welcome to your "Home away from home" anytime you're back in McAllen!

Kindest regards,
Roxanne Pequeño
Baghdad, Iraq
Reviewed August 28, 2011

This hotel by far is the best the staff and rooms are outstanding ...so if you are in Mcallen give this hotel a try... Just ask for Roxanne,Betty,Jerry,Ivan,Hugo they will more than happy to help you.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank BIGBOI1973
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed May 16, 2011

From the lady that checked me in at 12 noon 5-15 to the gentleman ( Hugo) that offered me more wine at 9pm (which I might add is after the free cocktail hour) this place is a perfect 10. Hilton should be proud to have this hotel as part of their chain. A perfect 10!!!

Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
New York
Reviewed December 30, 2010

Hotel was nice overall, nice facilities, GREAT gym, nice pool, half basketball court, nice dining area. The room was acceptable, nothing to rave about but quite nice for a three star under/around 100 bucks a night. The hotel experienced a broken water pipe while I was there, which was quite inconvienient, however things like this happen, and the hotel should not be held at fault. Water was restored within 2 days, and the following week the effected area on the ground floor had been repaired back to normal. It would have been nice to recieve a notification of the event from the front desk. I had no idea why I had no water in my room until hours later when a colleague of mine told me what happened.
Now, if you are reading this review you might want to know about the stuff that matters:
-Front desk staff: AWESOME
-Beds: excellent, if you like soft and comfy like I do
-food: VERY delicious, although I have a strict diet, so I could only eat their meal once in a while. The days I couldn't eat, I badly badly wanted to. Monday-Thursday free beer and food, good food!
-location: Next to an Acadamey store, and a Cracker Barrel. SAFE location. Withing walking distance of McAlisters Deli, Buffalo Wild wings, some Brewery place, Macaroni Grill, PF Changs and assorted stores in a mall type area. Wal-Mart of Mission TX next exit down, about 2 miles or so.

Oh, and on OCCASION you MIGHT hear a plane take off from the airport, but in 45 days I think I noticed it like 3 or 4 times. Not really a problem at all.

Bottom line, i've been in a few better hotels, but i've been in far many WORSE hotels. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Mexico City
Reviewed December 16, 2010

My husband likes to stay here. Rooms are clean and staff is very nice. We had a problem with our phone-bill that was quickly solved. Breakfast is nice, but last time we stayed here there was a new hot dish every morning and this time was the same.

They have a small kitchen with all appliances, a sofa bed and a separate room. Very nice if you travel with kids or want more privacy if you are sharing the room.

The hotel is in good conditions, although a little bit wore-down. It’s a 10 min drive from the Plaza Mall to the hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed March 7, 2010

I just tried to book a room online, and called to get the corporate discount code for the company I work for. I was told by a very unhelpful "Debbie" that she would not give the code to me over the phone, and that I would have to book the hotel over the phone if I wanted to recieve the discount. Since I prefer to book myself online and not give my corporate credit card info over the phone I was furious. I have NEVER in all of my business travels, had a hotel be unwilling to give me that code over the phone. They certainly just lost my business, and I will NEVER be staying with them.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business