“Immitation Food”

Poca playa
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Matagorda
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Let me explain what I mean by the title of my review. I'm first confused by the title of this restaurant cause it's mexican name and we are in a seafood area. I was kinda out of place but not that I am agains a mexican restaurant being here. There's also chinese restaurant in Bay city but I haven't tried that. Ok, so the place is quite nice and big. Decor was good and there was a game area with jukebox, pool table, and a few games. The service was good but the food was not. I know we shouldn't expect much when you order pasta and fettuchini here to be the best but omg, the mariana sauce was not even close. It was sweet and tasted sugary. The white fettuchini sauce tasted like cheese made from powder. Ok, you may not be the best but imitation ingredients? Now for the seafood, they serve catfish .. not flounder or trout.. so I was not impressed. The breading was dark gray color which kinda scared me. The filet was kinda chewy which scared me more. Fried shrimp was not tasty and then there was the stuffed crab. The crab was tiny and the filling was .. are you ready for this ? Frozen. Really? In a fishing town? Gross. Overall, do not come here. Go .. I mean RUN to the Waterfront Restaurant which is located in the harbour. Fresh, delicious food. You can miss it coming towards the bridge/river. I will review the Waterfront in another review. Look for it...

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Started strong then changed for the worse. First visit food was awesome service was great . Second visit they changed the breading on the fish,still ok but not as good. Then they switched from sea food to river food. Originally fish was flounder or trout and was great, now the fish is catfish and terrible. If i wanted catfish i could go anywhere and get it. I want seafood so we drive 30 miles to the coast to get shrimp and fish fresh from Matagorda bay or gulf of mexico. The quality of food has gone down but the prices have remained high for this area. If i wanted ore ida french fries and frozen catfish i could go to the local grocery store and feed the whole family alot cheaper than going to Poca Playa.