“Awesome”

Eckert James River Bat Cave Preserve
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Mason
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the largest bat nurseries in the country, inhabited by about four million females from May to October.
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

This was worth the drive. I can't believe how close we were to the bats. We got to see lots of other animals too that had come out for a dinner of bats.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"crossing"
"texas"

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We recently took our girls, ages 6 and 3, to Eckert bat cave. It was quite fascinating. The park ranger was friendly and knowledgable. Be sure you arrive early enough so that no one is trying to come down the hill when you're driving up. You'll find yourself backing down as there's no room to turn around. There's also a short hike up a hill from the parking lot to the cave - be sure to wear proper footwear.

7  Thank TWolter
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Quite an impressive sight to see the bats depart at sunset. Make sure you go in a vehicle like a pickup if the river is flowing because you will need to cross the river at a low water crossing.

4  Thank genelary
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I took my grandsons to see the bats and was concerned about the roads. I am so glad that I took the time and trouble to take them because it is something i and they will not ever forget. We had a friendly and knowledgable guide and an up close look at an incredible bat emergence. I would highly recommend this cave and am now a supporter of the Nature Conservancy. Do pay attention to the suggestions and guidelines on their web site.

2  Thank AnnieJDallas_TX