“The Name Threw Me Off”

Ranked #12 of 74 Restaurants in Marshall
Cuisines: Barbecue
“The Name Threw Me Off”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

From the highway, it appeared this establishment was going to be a good old East Texas BBQ joint. Although they have a limited selection of BBQ, Porky's doesn't serve beer. I like a cold beer with my BBQ. Instead, I selected the fried catfish. It was good and an ample portion for the price. The slaw had not been drowned in mayo which is a good thing, but the fries were the standard frozen type. A couple of little tasteless hush puppies and a flat mushy fried something I was not able to identify came with the meal. The service was good.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank jdssr2016

“Great catfish but...”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

It features Bar-B-Q and fried catfish. I tried they catfish and was very pleased. Cooked to perfection and huge portions!
Now I understand Porky's touts a simple atmosphere but they take it to extremes. Nothing fancy about this place. And it is a family-oriented establishment so be prepared for a host of young children and all they bring to a dining experience.

Visited July 2013
Clifton, Texas
“Ribs and Fried Catfish...Need I Say More?”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Porky's Smokehouse and Grill is in a word - addicting. On my first and certainly not to be my last visit I ordered the two meat plate and asked for the BBQ pork ribs and fried catfish on the same plate. Although the combination of the two was not listed the server was quick to place the order and in a few moments I was dining on some of the best fried catfish I've eaten in many years. While the pork ribs were not necessarily the best I've eaten they were certainly quite good and who is going to complain when you can have ribs and catfish at the same time? Not me! The accompanying cole slaw and potato salad were both well-prepared and seasoned.

Porky's will most certainly be on my "must dine" restaurants on my next visit to Marshall, TX.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank tltalbert
Houston, Texas
“Best BBQ chicken in town”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

As you might expect, the meat is the strong point at this restaurant. The chicken in particular is excellent, as are the ribs and the catfish. To be honest, I've never gotten bad meat here.

Considerably less attention is paid to the sides, however. I can't promise that the slaw, potato salad, and the beans are purchased generically, but that's definitely the sense you get from them.

I still love this place, and the value is great, but come for the meat, and if you don't expect a ton out of the sides, you'll be happy. It is also the only BBQ in Marshall with convenient eat-in seating, so is a great choice.

Visited May 2013
Darby, Montana
“The " Little hole in the wall " places are usually the best”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

After a day on the interstate this place recommended by the front desk staff at the hotel I stayed at for the night. I got the pulled pork dinner with beans and cole slaw and was not disappointed in the least. The pulled pork was not all gristle and dry ( like some other places I have been ) the cole slaw was very good ( not as good as mom's but hey who's is? ) and the beans were excellent. The waitress's there are GREAT ( they make you feel like a local and right at home ) Next time I am going through the area I will make sure I stop in here and get a full belly.

• Visited May 2013