“Nice hotel”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marshall
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Marshall
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed June 2, 2010

This is a nice, fairly new hotel. The room was large and clean and the a/c worked well. The bed was a little hard for me, but my kids thought it was fine. No problems with the room itself, except for the thin walls. We were close to a staircase, and for some reason some of the residents were using the stairs between 1:30 and 3:00 am. Every time they opened and slammed the door to the staircase it woke me. The breakfast was nice, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, gravy and bisquits and all the pastries. My biggest complaint was the pool. It was filthy and full of ants. And it would have been nice to have a hot tub.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank beachlover2141
PatrickH0287, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marshall, responded to this review, June 26, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I'm very sorry that you experienced some issues while a guest at our hotel. I've shared your comments with the General Manager, as well as other Department Heads, so we can make sure those problems are not repeated.

I'd like to take a moment to address them and let you know what has been done in response. First, the firmness of the mattress, unfortunately this has been a recurring issue with our guests and because of this we are currently making selections for new, softer mattress pads. It is our hope to have these improvements in place sometime in the next month. Secondly, the conditions of the pool, the ants you saw were actually flying ants from the nearby field, this is a seasonal issue in East Texas during the spring and early summer. Regardless however, this does not make up for the experience you had at our pool and in response we've moved up our cleaning schedules from once a day to two or three times a day as necessary to ensure that such an occurrence does not repeat itself.

Again, I apologize for the issues that you encountered while at our hotel and I hope that when you next need accommodation in Marshall you will return and I assure you that you will find these issues remedied. Thank you again for taking the time to share with us, we greatly appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 5, 2010

I came to Marshall for a business meeting, an associate booked my hotel for me so I wasn't quite sure where I was headed. The address is a little bit tricky and can be easy to miss and for some reason my GPS would not accept the address, however I called the hotel and they guided me in without a problem.

The service was excellent, and the rooms were very nice. Only minor issue was being right near the highway with the traffic noise. All around a wonderful stay. Would definately stay again next time business takes me that way.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank RSmith78
PatrickH0287, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marshall, responded to this review, May 13, 2010
We're very happy to hear that you enjoyed our property while on business in Marshall. I've taken the liberty of sharing your comments with the staff and we would like to thank you for being our guest and for the kind words. Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again next time.

-Patrick H., Assistant GM
New York
Reviewed September 9, 2009

Great value for the money, staff was friendly and courteous, hotel is very clean,excellent breakfast, I would stay at this hotel again! We had a wonderful stay!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Nylonghorn
Reviewed September 8, 2009

My husband and I stay at the Marshall Holiday in July and the stay was great. We stayed this past Labor Day weekend and the stay was not quite so good. We had a room at the end of the hallway next to the stairs. The elevator was not working properly I was told, Due to the Large Volume of Guests" staying that weekend. The hotel is only 1 year old!!! The noise from the hallway and stairs door was horrible!! We stayed 3 nights and I was exhausted when I got home. Didn't sleep a wink. I didn't realize the walls were so paper thin I could hear every word the people in the next room and in the hallway were saying. I hope next time we travel to that area, we stay in Jefferson!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Texas-Clay2008
Reviewed July 26, 2009

The beds are like concrete. But the worst is the customer service....or lack thereof! Avoid this place. Try the Hampton or anything. DO NOT STAY at the HI Marshall.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank triptakker
HOUSTON
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Although it is at first a little tricky to get to, one phone call to the front desk led us in the right direction. GPS was of little help-in fact it sent us on a far and strange trip away from the hotel. Don't trust your GPS if you are trying to find this hotel. I can not say enough about how genuine, helpful, and friendly all the staff were. The check in, check out and breakfast personel were all wonderful. Everyone had such positive attitudes. The hotel is obviously new. It is clean with beautiful accomodations. The room interior and bathrooms could match a 4 star hotel. The free breakfast was one of the best compared to other hotels in this classifaction/category. It had a large variety and was well stocked. There were a variety of milks, eggs, sausage, rolls, yogerts, cereals, hot cereals-nice selection. If you need a hotel in this area, I would say hands down it would be your best choice and value.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 24, 2009

Most of my travel to East Texas has been to small, inexpensive hotels with service matching the hotel. I was pleasently surprised at this hotel. The room was large and confortable, the breakfast was good and the entire experience was pleasent.
Of course there was a few negatives, like the desk clerk who was too involved on her cell phone to deal with customers and the loud girls in the room next to mine - "girl's night out"? I'm sure the desk clerk has moved on to McDonalds and the girls have moved on to another hotel - so I recommend this one with pleasure.

It's easy to miss - take the main Marshall exit - the hotel is on the south side of the highway.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business