“Likely not again”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Marshall
fort worth
“Likely not again”
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We stayed here on a Sunday. Upon check in I told the desk clerk I had a voucher for 1000 points for signing up on hie club. I was new to this and had no clue what it was. I asked her and she simply handed me a brochure, no explanation or anything. Ok thanks.
From 8pm to 1am there was a large group of people just outside of our room. The people were drinking copius amounts of beer. Clacking around the bottles. And their children running around yelling. This prompted 3 phone calls to the front desk. Curfew for the pool was 10pm. Her response each time was I will tell them to quiet down and each time they would get loud again. Why could she have not just sent them back to their room? But nope. We had to listen to them til early morning.
Our room was nice, but was not clean completely. On the floor near the bed was a toenail. In the bathroom on the floor was a dead fly and makeup shavings on the floor from eyeliner.
Breakfast was ok. Pancake machine was broken, just our luck. But the lady working at the breakfast was extremely nice and jovial and went above and beyond tending to our needs. I love holiday inn express but this place kinda blows

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lisajarrett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I didn't care for the satelite TV. About 30 channels available and 9 were ESPN. They had 2 HBO channels (one HD) and was told they were supposed to show the same channel but they didn't. I had a hard time trying to figure out what to watch as the HBO guide didn't always correspond with what was on the channel.
Also didn't care for the location being next to a truck stop and having to deal with numerous 18 wheelers coming/going and blocking quick access to/from the hotel.
The hotel staff was the friendliest I've ever encountered. The wireless internet was excellent.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank rotornut
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed February 15, 2011

I always stay at Holiday Inn Expresses when I travel. I am often driving long distances, and I will split my trip into two days, so it is important to me that I am able to sleep. Normally, I love any HIE, but this was not a night of peaceful sleep. As everyone else has commented, the walls are paper thin. As I was getting ready for bed I could hear the man in the room next to me talking on the phone to his little girl (she was on speaker phone, and I could hear every word they were saying). It was like he was in the room with me. I was able to fall asleep, but I was woken up by snoring in the room next to me. Also, the guy at the front desk was talking on the phone, and I could hear every word he was saying. Finally at 1am I went to the front desk to ask to be moved to a room on a different floor. The man at the front desk was polite and did move me to a different room, but he never apologized or even got off the phone while I was talking with him. I was finally able to fall asleep after moving rooms. Besides the terrible noise problem the hotel was very nice. The breakfast was very good. The woman who checked me in and out was very nice and much more professional than the man I had talked with the night before. The rooms were clean. Some reviews have said the beds were hard, but I did not notice. I would recommend this hotel only for someone who is not a light sleeper.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank traveler444433364
Manalapan, New Jersey
Reviewed February 10, 2011

Overall, I thought the hotel was pretty good for the area it was in. The rooms were clean, furnishings were nice, decent lighting in rooms and a fair sized bathroom.

There area few major issues. First, the WiFi internet sucked. Ver very slow and usually there was no bandwith to use.

Second, on one trip I had a room facing the highway. You will hear it all night. It did not bother me, but I could see it annoying a lot of people.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank sm122097
PatrickH0287, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marshall, responded to this review, February 12, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences with us, your feedback is immensely important to us. We always strive to provide the best service possible for our guests, however, as you mention, the WiFi at the hotel has been lacking and management has been aware of the issue. In today's world a slow or unreliable internet connection is simply unacceptable, especially to a business traveler.

I am happy to report that at the end of January we enhanced our guest internet circuit from 1.5Mbps to a full 8Mbps, to allow for greater speed and reliability.

From the information in your review it is not clear whether your stay with us was pre or post upgrade however if your stay was prior to this, you should find the internet much more to your liking if you should return to Marshall. If by chance your stay was post upgrade, I would encourage you to please contact me directly so that we might determine if any further enhancements are needed.

Thank you so much again for taking the time to share your feedback with us.
Safe travels.
Dawson, Texas
Reviewed October 7, 2010

I made reservations 2 months in advance, recieved confirmation email, then the day before arrival, I checked online and my room had been cancelled. No one tried to contact me of this matter. When I called, they were not willing to help me and all rooms were booked up. I requested to talk to the manager, who was supposedly busy, I never recieved a call back. This is very poor management and is not acceptable to me. I have stayed at this hotel before but never will again!

Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank CheriM2
PatrickH0287, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marshall, responded to this review, October 9, 2010
I'm very sorry that you had a poor experience with our hotel and that this disrupted your travel arrangements, however, I feel that this incident deserves further explanation. While you are correct that you did in fact book your reservation well in advance, the terms of the "Advance Purchase" discount require a full pre-payment at time of booking. When the payment was not recieved, we attempted to contact the you, but the phone number listed on the reservation was invalid. At this point in time, the reservation was cancelled due to non-compliance with the terms of the reservation.

I'm very sorry that this misunderstanding with the "Advance Purchase" policy has occured and that your travel arrangements were disrupted. It is my sincerest hope that in the furture you might allow us to accomodate you while in the Marshall area. Until then, I wish you well, and safe travels.
Texas
Reviewed June 2, 2010

This is a nice, fairly new hotel. The room was large and clean and the a/c worked well. The bed was a little hard for me, but my kids thought it was fine. No problems with the room itself, except for the thin walls. We were close to a staircase, and for some reason some of the residents were using the stairs between 1:30 and 3:00 am. Every time they opened and slammed the door to the staircase it woke me. The breakfast was nice, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, gravy and bisquits and all the pastries. My biggest complaint was the pool. It was filthy and full of ants. And it would have been nice to have a hot tub.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank beachlover2141
PatrickH0287, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marshall, responded to this review, June 26, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I'm very sorry that you experienced some issues while a guest at our hotel. I've shared your comments with the General Manager, as well as other Department Heads, so we can make sure those problems are not repeated.

I'd like to take a moment to address them and let you know what has been done in response. First, the firmness of the mattress, unfortunately this has been a recurring issue with our guests and because of this we are currently making selections for new, softer mattress pads. It is our hope to have these improvements in place sometime in the next month. Secondly, the conditions of the pool, the ants you saw were actually flying ants from the nearby field, this is a seasonal issue in East Texas during the spring and early summer. Regardless however, this does not make up for the experience you had at our pool and in response we've moved up our cleaning schedules from once a day to two or three times a day as necessary to ensure that such an occurrence does not repeat itself.

Again, I apologize for the issues that you encountered while at our hotel and I hope that when you next need accommodation in Marshall you will return and I assure you that you will find these issues remedied. Thank you again for taking the time to share with us, we greatly appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you again.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 5, 2010

I came to Marshall for a business meeting, an associate booked my hotel for me so I wasn't quite sure where I was headed. The address is a little bit tricky and can be easy to miss and for some reason my GPS would not accept the address, however I called the hotel and they guided me in without a problem.

The service was excellent, and the rooms were very nice. Only minor issue was being right near the highway with the traffic noise. All around a wonderful stay. Would definately stay again next time business takes me that way.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank RSmith78
PatrickH0287, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marshall, responded to this review, May 13, 2010
We're very happy to hear that you enjoyed our property while on business in Marshall. I've taken the liberty of sharing your comments with the staff and we would like to thank you for being our guest and for the kind words. Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again next time.

-Patrick H., Assistant GM