“I do love this place!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Marshall, Texas
“I do love this place!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I admit, I'm partial to cajun food. This place has that, but also has plenty of other really good entrees, too - like the PoBoys. I really love the catfish covered with crawfish etoufee; it is outstanding! I've never tried fish tacos before I got them at Cajun Tex and now I look for chances to go eat them again. The fish tacos are my lunchtime favorite because they are grilled, healthy (when you get them with steamed veggies), and not as heavy as the catfish or fried treats. I've eaten at Cajun Tex many times and never had anything that wasn't delicious. The prices are good, too, and I enjoy the live music when they have it.

I have re-read this review and it's so positive it sounds like a "plant." It isn't. I don't know the owners, I just enjoy good food and I get it at Cajun Tex!

1 Thank keepmovin63
Johnny H, Owner at Cajun Tex, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Thank you so much for your review on Trip Advisor. Your comments rather good or bad, always help us to improve ourselves. A Gift Card with your Trip Advisor name is at our front register for your review. Thanks again, Johnny Horne

Indianapolis, Indiana
“PoBoy”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

You better be hungry when you get here, prices are great, food is great, great sweet tea, the staff is friendly, enjoyed the live music, the place is great.

1 Thank JohnRo1958
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Great stop!”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Stopped here by chance as I was passing through on my way back to Missouri. The location is right along the road and next to a gas station and looked very interesting. You immediately walk in and to your right is a giant menu filled with various southern and Cajun options. The staff is very friendly and doesn't rush you at all.

We selected the Shrimp Po Boy and cat fish platters and choose Cajun fries and sweet potato fries. Everything we had was excellent, being from Missouri, I have never tasted shrimp like that!
The fries had a cajun seasoning and spritz of hot sauce on them. We also ordered a side of fried green tomatoes, while they aren't like grandma always made, they were indeed fantastic.

Price wise, we spent roughly $20 for a complete meal with drinks and an appetizers, not bad for lunch.

The service here is the real star, the staff constantly walks around asking if you need anything, or just to check and see if your meal is satisfactory.

2 Thank ChrisS817
Dallas, Texas
“Great lunch!”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Delicious shrimp poboy, mashed potatoes, and beignets. Want to go back and try some of the other offerings. King Cake for Mardi Gras was available too.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank bcranford
Buffalo, NY
“A Fortuitous Lunch Stop”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We make the drive between Buffalo, NY and Houston, TX at least three times every four years, and on our southbound portion, always wind up on Hwy. 59 near the Ark-Texas border. It's never hard to find good BBQ on Hwy. 59, but after great BBQ at City BBQ in Columbus, OH and Tops in Memphis, TN the previous two nights, we had a hankering for something else. And Cajun Tex is something else--all good!

The menu is large and posted on the wall. Stand back and study the menu several minutes; don't forget to look at appetizers, where an array of great items are shown [e.g., fried green tomatoes]. There's gumbo, sandwiches, plates, and humongous salads. On the recommendation of one of the employees, we both had catfish slathered with crawfish etouffee and a side of dirty rice. What a marvelous meal. We also shared a bowl of gumbo and it was outstanding. To end our orgy of food, we had an order of beignets, and I liked them better than those from Cafe de Monde in New Orleans.

You place your order at a counter, take a number, and they bring the food to your table. We were welcomed and treated cordially by all staff we encountered. Even though the food was delivered to us by whatever staff member was available, somebody came by every few minutes to check on us to see if all was okay. Cajun Tex is a large, clean, attractive place--but it is not fancy in any way.

When guided to my table in a restaurant by a hostess carrying menus, I'm one of those guys who takes long gazes at the meals of other diners who are already seated and served, thinking I might espy an especially attractive plate and decide to order such for myself. You can't spy on partially eaten plates at the Cajun Tex before ordering [because you order at a counter in the front of the restaurant], but upon walking to our self-selected booth, I saw a dozen other plates of food I would have been perfectly happy to order.

I always groan about the idea of exiting I-30 onto Hwy. 59 with its two-lane roads [still 70 mph in many places] and little towns and villages you have to drive through. But because we found Cajun Tex on this trip, I will not be so put off by Hwy. 59 in the future, as I know we will have a great lunch in Marshall, TX at the Cajun Tex. This place is a real find!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank MichaelBuffalo
Johnny H, Owner at Cajun Tex, responded to this review, May 23, 2014

Been to Cajun Tex? Share your experiences!