“The 2 person minimum is ridiculous!”

Texas Trail Riding Co.
Ranked #2 of 3 things to do in Marion
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a custom guided trail riding company.We are the only trail company that travels to several different state parks and natural areas to ride. We will take your group horseback riding at some of the most scenic locations for your scheduled ride. We are located in between San Antonio and New Braunfels(20 minutes from the Alamo). We have horses for every level of rider. Call to schedule your ride(no walk-ins).
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I haven't been riding on a horse in over 12 years. My boyfriend and I planned a trip to Canyon Lake and horse back riding was a must on our list of things to do. We were very disappointed to see that they would not consider offering a 2 person ride. The owner said that it wasn't worth it and she required a 2 person minimum. How ridiculous. At $60 person for 2 hours and 2 people that's an EASY $120. Needless to say, we had to consider other alternatives for our time. Perhaps from a business stand point, the owner should consider alternatives for couples because I can see that I am not the only one that has come to this issue. $120 lost adds up quickly when you are just sitting on a horse for 2 hours of your time. Imagine how many she's said "no" to. So sad.

8  Thank Shirley F
Kathy W, Owner at Texas Trail Riding Co., responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

As a business owner I dont ever want to tell people we wont take less than 3 people on a ride but we are the only company that hauls to the locations to take groups on these rides. When the person wrote this review she doesnt consider the cost and time to get these horses to the trail. It takes an hour just for us to get there. Usually when u book these rides you show up at a ranch where the horses have been saddled all day and you ride. We dont do that. All of the trails we ride on require us to haul and because of that we haved to have a minimum of 3. On the flip side the quality of the trails are spectacular. We often join 2 groups together and alleviate this problem.I remember this caller and I tried to explain this to her but she got madder and madder that I woudnt bend. I hope this helps to explain why we cant Many thanks to all of the customers that have supported us thru the years. Kathy White

Reviewed December 9, 2011

We went on the Canyon Lake ride for the second time today with Mike as our guide. I cannot express in words the sheer joy we experience with this company. They choose the horse best suited for your experience level and size. They also make every rider, regardless of experience level, feel comfortable. They don't talk down to anyone, have enormous patience, and ensure that everyone has an awesome time. The horses are spirited and very funny as they interact with each other on the ride. The scenery, Mike's jokes, and family togetherness all make for an experience we will never forget. If your family seems to be going in every direction but together, go on a ride with Mike. Your family will leave closer than ever. We absolutely love this company!

2  Thank Howey42
Reviewed September 25, 2011

This was my 2nd time to ride with Kathy. The 1st time I gave her the benefit of the doubt. Her horses are well taken care of. After having an accident on my horse, my trainer encouraged me to regain my confidence by riding other horses. This is how I ended up at Texas Trail Riding Co. My 1st visit I was with a large group with no previous horse skills, all people left happy, so my concerns subsided. Yesterday, however, was a fiasco. I brought two friends, one professional rider, one experienced rider and myself. I had asked to bring my horse, but she said she needed three riders to make it worth her while. This I can respect, as we are all in business to make a profit. On this ride, Kathy allowed two of her own personal friends to join our ride. One of their horses was completely unsafe which mid-way through the ride they had to dismount, change horses and saddles. Things happen, but hitting an animal in the face is not okay, especially when a horse can be disciplined in a more productive manner. Later on, my horse was acting up and without notice, Kathy took her reigns and hit my horse causing him to kick and bolt forward. I almost flew off this horse. It strained my back, but fortunately I stayed on the horse. I felt disrespected as a beginner rider who had clearly communicated to her that I was working on regaining my confidence. In short, the ride was beautiful, but UNSAFE! The horses had not been ridden in sometime and were feisty. I take writing a non-glowing report seriously. If you do choose to ride with Texas Trail Riding Co., ask questions about what types of horses will be riding with you. If you are novice, you don't need to have horses learning how to ride the trails while you are learning to stay on the horse.

6  Thank HappyRascal

This what happens when one rider wont listen to the guide and makes a horse continue to break away from the group and run ahead. It upsets the whole group of horses. When we have beginners and one person that thinks they are experienced they dont listen. For the safety of the group I made a rider switch with me. The friends with me happened to be my son and daughter inlaw. My son had just come of of deployment and I hadnt seen him in a year. He came with us so we could spend time together. I give thanks to the many many customers that have helped our company grow. God Bless. Kathy White

Reviewed August 16, 2011

We met Kathy and Mike up at Canyon Lake this morning around 9 a.m. We wanted to do something fun before school starts. I was concerned about the heat, but starting at 9 a.m. was perfect, the kids had great fun and we didn't notice the heat until our drive home. The horses were great, Kathy has some wonderful horses she's rescued and taken great care of. They were all gentle and seemed to enjoy the ride themselves, especially splashing around in the water a little! Definitely do this if you are in the area. We hope to go sometime soon and meet them in Bastrop!

1  Thank blrdfam
See more reviews
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Thanks to Kathy & Mike for a great ride @Canyon Lake this week! Our party consisted of myself (39yo,) my 13yo son and my 24yo cousin and her 24yo husband. My cousin had NEVER been on a horse before! Our horses were beautiful, well trained, taken care of...many of Kathy's horses have been rescued. Our trail ride started @10am and lasted two hours. It was hot (to be expected in July in Texas) and the may flies were abundant (they do not bite though and our guides would quickly redirect us when we came upon a swarm of them!) Shadow the dog was a great co-star of the show going ahead to stir up the wildlife (deer) so the horses wouldn't get spooked. Good time was had by all! Look forward to trying their Bastrop ride in the fall when its cooler!

1  Thank kristineamb