“A paridise in the dessert”
other travelers have booked this property
Exterior Downstairs Living Room
Upstairs Bedroom
Balcony View
Kitchen facing entry
Exterior
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
nunez2016
San Antonio, Texas
“A paridise in the dessert”
Reviewed June 2, 2016 for a stay in May 2016
people found this review helpful

We arrived at Chinati cabin on Saturday afternoon and everything looked just like we pictured it. We really enjoyed the outside shower, We thought it was great. The weather was great and our friends actually slept outside on the patio that first night. The sky was pitch black with millions of stars. The weather was in the high 80's in the day and low 70's at night. We all had a good time.

Traveling group: Friends
Your age range 50-64
Catherine...
Austin, Texas
“End of the Earth Hideaway”
Reviewed May 28, 2016 for a stay in May 2016
person found this review helpful

Do you love the desert? Do you love being in the middle of nowhere? Do you love quiet and solitude? Do you love amazing sunsets and stars? Do you love adventurous dirt roads? Do you love west Texas? If you answered yes to these questions, you should stay here. Charlie's cabin is a gem in the middle of nowhere in an area that does not have an abundance of vacation rentals; however, if you're not a fan of the desert or complete solitude, this might not be the place for you.

My husband and I spent several nights at Charlie's cabin to celebrate our 10th anniversary and we loved it. We loved the road getting there (do yourself a favor and take Pinto Canyon Road to escape from Marfa - you won't regret it unless you drive a low-rider). We loved sitting on the porch and drinking tea/coffee in the mornings and beer/topo chicos in the afternoons and evenings watching the birds, the mountains in Mexico, the sunsets, and the stars. The internet didn't work while we were there (wrong wifi password it seems), but we weren't there to surf the internet, so no worries. It was so wonderful to be completely out of touch with our life in Austin for a few days. To be honest, we were only inside to sleep, cook, and use the facilities, but the cabin was lovely as well, albeit rustic (which is fine by us, but might not be "fancy" enough for some).

A few things to note: the shower is outdoors (amazing if you're there in the spring/summer, but maybe not so great if you come in the winter) and only throws out a smidgen of water when you're pulling a little lever that I had to stand on my toes to reach, so don't expect any long hot desert showers here, which is obviously fine and understandable given that you're in a desert... Bring your own towels - glad we did as I never saw any in the cabin. Bring your own drinking water as well as there is no potable water in the cabin - just a rainwater catchment system that supplies the sinks, toilet, and shower. Make sure to bring your own food as well as you'll be sorely disappointed if you think you're going to find a restaurant nearby. There is a little shop at the end of the dirt road about 15 minutes away with hot coffee, ice, beer, an extremely talkative owner, and a few other provisions; otherwise, you're on your own.

Also, sadly the new-ish owners of the Chinati Hot Springs (which are located right across the dirt road from the house and are interesting in their own right if you've never been) now claim they no longer accept day visitors. We showed up ready to relax in the hilltop pool and do some more mountain-watching and were turned away, which was a bit of a bummer as that was part of the reason I booked the cabin. Oh well, but do note that you won't be able to go to the hot springs, which are literally the only other thing in any close proximity to the cabin.

All in all, we had a great time at Charlie's cabin and enjoyed exploring a corner of west Texas I hadn't been to in awhile and my husband had never been to.

Cheers!

Liked best: The views
Liked least: The shower
Your age range 25-34
Jun 5, 2016
Sorry you didn't find the towels, they are in a cabinet in the bathroom and upstairs. The Hot Springs mgmt. continually make bad decisions in my opinion, this is another twist they have come up with. On the plus side, I have another rental 7 miles south in the ghost town of Ruidosa that I will be opening soon, and I have just completed a swimming pool there. Any future guests of my cabin can drive down and use this pool for the same day-use fee that the Hot Springs charges, $15 per person.
chwakeman
Austin, Texas
“Beautiful/Not for Small Children *Warning on Scenic Route in Review*”
Reviewed May 18, 2016 for a stay in May 2016

First off a word of warning:

We took the scenic route in and drive an SUV with high clearance and good tires. That being said, we popped a tire on this route. We drove to Presidio on the donut but they did not have a matching tire. We had to drive all the way back to Alpine to get a matching tire. This in no way reflects poorly on the property but you might consider the less scenic route if you have any concerns/doubts about your vehicle.

On to our stay:
The property was beautiful and quiet and everything you would want for a romantic get away or a group of friends etc. I would not recommend it for anyone with a heedless young child. We were slightly concerned about the kid falling from the loft or patio and couldn't quite relax. I mentioned the 2 year old in my request to stay and would have appreciated disclosure that the loft had no railing/walls in some places and no railing on the stairs etc but this is likely not something one would think of if they didn't have kids themselves.

I really can't fault Charlie here otherwise and hope to just warn any future guests in general to get a babysitter (for any trip really) if you want to feel less stressed.

Friends getaway Older travelers
Jun 5, 2016
Thanks for the input, I don't have any children so I never thought of that aspect, sorry. I will recommend to any future guests that my cabin is not ideal for toddlers not just because of the balcony but also all plant life here in the Chihuahuan desert has thorns and spines, and there are plenty of rattlesnakes and venomous insects. Sorry about the flat tire, I have never gotten a flat on the gravel road myself but do understand the frustration of not having a tire shop nearby, I have to go to Alpine for all of my auto needs as well,
Frank F
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Great Weekend”
Reviewed May 2, 2016 for a stay in April 2016

We enjoyed the heck out of this cabin...perfect for what we wanted. Isolated and quiet. It's a good distance from where we live, but we love that part of the world. The canyon road was fine (I drive a truck). The cabin had all we needed. Small fridge inside was enough for what we had. I brought extra ice and it lasted the two days we were there. Shower was cool, as was the wind blowing that made me shower extra fast. I brought my speakers and my old iPod, but didn't even use as the cabin had a great record and CD collection perfect to listen to when we wanted to. Not much I can suggest. Kitchen was good. I needed a baking sheet, but used foil and it was fine. All in all, I highly recommend this if you're trying to just get away. There is WiFi and we hooked it up on Saturday evening, but that was so we could announce our engagement. We'll always have fond memories of the cabin. If you go, enjoy the quiet and plan on staying there for a few days. I look forward to coming back.

Date of stay: April 2016
Liked best: The quiet
Liked least: You're right on the road so there is more traffic than I expected
4snow
Austin, Texas
“"No words to describe the beauty of this place"”
Reviewed March 18, 2016 for a stay in March 2016
person found this review helpful

This little gem was even more than we expected, and the pictures do accurately reflect everything. Spent our 40th Anniversary here and do not have any regrets. If you are looking for solitude and beauty this is the place. Just bring your own food and drinks, extra drinking water we took 6 gallons for 3 days and had 2 gallons left. You might want to bring 2-3 5 gallons containers so you have plenty there is a dispenser for it in the Kitchen.
Rainfall in the area is not abundant so conserving water is a must. Shower was hot and wonderful plus you have a gorgeous view while showering. Plenty of cookware, dishes and utensils. There is a small store in Ruidoso limited supplies. Presidio nearest town 43 miles with grocery/gas. We stocked up in Marfa and drove down on Pinto Canyon Road, if I were you I wouldn't come down here any other way. Road was in good shape took about 2 hours coming down and 1 1/2 leaving.
Cabin is such a charm, it is very tastefully decorated, we never grew tired of looking at the artwork, furnishings and books. We were able to connect to our bluetooth speaker. However there are some great Cd's you will certainly enjoy.
Unfortunately the Springs were closed while we were there, but we drove through and it's beautiful as well.
We drove to Big Bend State Ranch to the Closed Canyon it's about 65-70 miles from cabin, Lajitas is 100 miles from cabin both worth the drive down 170. The sunset is just beyond stunning.
Charlie thank you for sharing your special place, words really cannot describe it. Cannot imagine how much work it was to put this place together, it's apparent your heart and soul are there.

Date of stay: March 2016
Liked best: No Light Pollution, No Noise, No people
Liked least: Somewhat Dusty
Rachel W
Austin, Texas
“Can I live here, pretty please?”
Reviewed March 12, 2016 for a stay in March 2016
person found this review helpful

WOAH. This place is absolutely wonderful. Some friends and I took a camping tour of west Texas and New Mexico and decided to end our trip at this cabin for one night - looking back, we wished we had booked at least another night out there. The drive down on 67 was gorgeous, and turning onto 170 was even better. My little sedan had no problems making it up the beautiful dirt road up to the cabin and it was super easy to find.

The cabin? Perfect. We spent most of our time on the deck upstairs or the hammocks below, just staring at the mountains. There's plenty to entertain yourself inside the cabin if staring at mountains isn't your thing. The sunset was stunning. We had a pretty cloudy night, which made for the darkest skies I've ever seen in my life, but when stars peeked through they were brilliant.

We all fell in love with the area and the cabin.
We all want to come back and spend more time.
We all wish we could just live there.

Date of stay: March 2016
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: I loved the solitude.
Traveling group: Friends
Vladimir1...
Houston, Texas
“A place to make long lasting memories!!”
Reviewed January 5, 2016 for a stay in December 2015
person found this review helpful

My girlfriend and I spent 4 days and 3 nights over new years. The location is breathtaking and the evenings views of the milky way are phenomenal. Don't expect a luxurious cabin getaway, but as you can see from previous reviews, it's an excellent place to shut down and get away from city life. Be sure to bring a bath robe for the outdoor shower, but it has plenty of hot water if you like hot showers. Bring fire wood if you are coming during the winter season, as you'll easily go through a bundle a day. I brought the fire logs you can buy from costco or any wal-mart along with some racks of wood for cooking. There are space heaters in the home which sufficiently warm the cabin, but the wood burning stove is great to make it nice and cozy! There are some cool nearby getaways (Ruidoso and Candelaria). We never went to the hot springs, but it is nearby. I would advise taking the pinto valley canyon route but be sure to have a high clearance vehicle with good tires and a spare. We traveled the route 4 times, and only saw 2 others along the way. Be sure to look out for the signs that guide you to the Chinati Hot Springs...they are well marked and don't be deceived by your GPS directions. Thank you again Charlie for making our stay wonderful!! btw....we got engaged on NYE at the cabin!! so your place will definitely have a place in our hearts!!

Date of stay: December 2015
Your age range 35-49
Jan 7, 2016
Congratulations on your engagement!!! You guys make a great couple and I am so happy for you both, come again someday and toast another New Year, thanks for the review!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing