“Can I live here, pretty please?”
other travelers have booked this property
Exterior Downstairs Living Room
Upstairs Bedroom
Balcony View
Kitchen facing entry
Exterior
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Rachel W
Austin, Texas
“Can I live here, pretty please?”
Reviewed March 12, 2016 for a stay in March 2016
person found this review helpful

WOAH. This place is absolutely wonderful. Some friends and I took a camping tour of west Texas and New Mexico and decided to end our trip at this cabin for one night - looking back, we wished we had booked at least another night out there. The drive down on 67 was gorgeous, and turning onto 170 was even better. My little sedan had no problems making it up the beautiful dirt road up to the cabin and it was super easy to find.

The cabin? Perfect. We spent most of our time on the deck upstairs or the hammocks below, just staring at the mountains. There's plenty to entertain yourself inside the cabin if staring at mountains isn't your thing. The sunset was stunning. We had a pretty cloudy night, which made for the darkest skies I've ever seen in my life, but when stars peeked through they were brilliant.

We all fell in love with the area and the cabin.
We all want to come back and spend more time.
We all wish we could just live there.

Date of stay: March 2016
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: I loved the solitude.
Traveling group: Friends
Vladimir1...
Houston, Texas
“A place to make long lasting memories!!”
Reviewed January 5, 2016 for a stay in December 2015
person found this review helpful

My girlfriend and I spent 4 days and 3 nights over new years. The location is breathtaking and the evenings views of the milky way are phenomenal. Don't expect a luxurious cabin getaway, but as you can see from previous reviews, it's an excellent place to shut down and get away from city life. Be sure to bring a bath robe for the outdoor shower, but it has plenty of hot water if you like hot showers. Bring fire wood if you are coming during the winter season, as you'll easily go through a bundle a day. I brought the fire logs you can buy from costco or any wal-mart along with some racks of wood for cooking. There are space heaters in the home which sufficiently warm the cabin, but the wood burning stove is great to make it nice and cozy! There are some cool nearby getaways (Ruidoso and Candelaria). We never went to the hot springs, but it is nearby. I would advise taking the pinto valley canyon route but be sure to have a high clearance vehicle with good tires and a spare. We traveled the route 4 times, and only saw 2 others along the way. Be sure to look out for the signs that guide you to the Chinati Hot Springs...they are well marked and don't be deceived by your GPS directions. Thank you again Charlie for making our stay wonderful!! btw....we got engaged on NYE at the cabin!! so your place will definitely have a place in our hearts!!

Date of stay: December 2015
Your age range 35-49
Jan 7, 2016
Congratulations on your engagement!!! You guys make a great couple and I am so happy for you both, come again someday and toast another New Year, thanks for the review!
Leah M
“Desert Dwelling”
Reviewed January 1, 2016 for a stay in December 2015
person found this review helpful

If you like desert solitude with 360 views, Charlie's cabin fits the bill. You are really out there-- without a view of a neighboring house anywhere! all of the essentials are in the cabin -- super comfortable with an eclectic DVD selection. There is an outdoor shower that works great, but we happened to be there on christmas when a freak storm came thru and the pipes on the shower froze. The freak snow storm also closed the road between Marfa and Presidio on the day we were leaving. We called Charlie and he was very nice, letting us stay in the cabin one more night for a deal and gave us a hefty supply of firewood. Could not recommend this place more if you are looking for a great getaway unplugged from the distractions of our modern world. We also saw fox and coyotes and Chinati Hot Springs let us use their trails to hike.

Date of stay: December 2015
Sarah H
Houston, Texas
“Beautiful escape in West Texas”
Reviewed October 27, 2015 for a stay in October 2015
person found this review helpful

My boyfriend and I stayed at the cabin for 4.5 days and loved every minute of it. The views were amazing, the hammocks were delightful, and the drive coming up was perfect.
I highly recommend taking Pinto Canyon up if you drive a Jeep or a truck -- Make sure you've mapped out your route to and from the cabin before you head that way.

We can't wait to go back.

Date of stay: October 2015
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location, porch, outdoor shower, grill
Liked least: N/A, loved it
Your age range 25-34
Friends getaway Older travelers
MiguelB49...
“Tranquility, solitude, beautiful views, & close to hot springs”
Reviewed July 31, 2015 for a stay in July 2015
people found this review helpful

The drive on Hwy. 2810 and on the unpaved roads was amazing and adventurous. The drive was a step back in time and a true get-a-way. I have a Subaru and had no problems on the back roads driving varying speeds of 30mph to 15mph on washed out areas. You don't need four-wheel drive, but may have to drive a little slower in a "normal" car. Don't be in a rush to make this incredible drive.
The cabin is a cabin, it is rustic, and the kitchen has everything you need to cook and BBQ outside. I could not get the oven to work. The water supply is rainwater and the pressure is adequate to wash dishes and shower. Don't expect the water pressure of a municipal system. Even though my wife was not excited about the outdoor hot shower, she did it because it was hot outside and even said she would go back to this cabin and put up with the outdoor shower. I loved the shower and didn't mind being outside because you are on the other side of nowhere. The deck has unbelievable panoramic views and gentle cross winds. We sat on the deck and listened to the drum rolls of distant thunderstorms. We had a storm that rolled over giving us brief small hail. Incredible! The power did go out for a couple of hours due to a distant storm. We used the land line to call Charlie for reassurance, so he called the power company for us. The power outage was a gift because we enjoyed the perfect quiet you don't get in many other places. This was definitely a Guys getaway before becoming a rental, but my wife love it.
Finally, even though Chinati Hot Springs is very close to the cabin you would not know it because of its location in a small canyon. This place is off the beat and path and plan to return.

Date of stay: July 2015
Liked best: Views and tranquility
Liked least: Probably not best for small children
Aug 1, 2015
Thanks, glad you enjoyed the stay! Sorry about the oven not working, I'll get a new control knob for it. I'm working on increasing the water pressure so hope to improve it soon. Very grateful for your description of the road condition and how to manage it, Pinto Canyon Road is considered one of the most beautiful drives in Texas; thanks again!
Stephanie...
“Best skies ever!”
Reviewed May 10, 2015 for a stay in May 2015

My dear friend Jo and I wanted a few days of solitude and we received it. Yes, the road is very rocky. And it is so worth it! The views are magnificent. Every day we were gifted with brilliant big skies of changing cloud formations and colors -- and the light cast onto the mountains -- all spectacular! The cabin is perfect -- private, quiet, safe. Loved the morning alarm clock of bird vespers! There was a nest on the upstairs deck with an attentive mom. Loved the tree branch beside the deck that brought different bird songs. Enjoyed the outside shower. It was a perfect holiday for us. Hope to visit again!

Date of stay: May 2015
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The skies, the solitude
Traveling group: Friends
May 11, 2015
Thanks for staying, glad you enjoy the desert environment as much as I do, hope you come back!
Samfull
“Inconvenient relaxation”
Reviewed March 23, 2015 for a stay in March 2015
people found this review helpful

The cabin is well equipped with all that you need to relax and escape the typical rush of every day life, however there were some drawbacks to the experience. The dirt/rock road to access the cabin was left out of the information given and, if you're in a sedan, can be time consuming (added 35 minutes to the trip there). The outdoor shower doesn't have much water pressure and doesn't do hot (or even warm) water. It was a bit of a tease. The views from the daybed are great and the movie reviews Charlie made up were very entertaining. There were some questionable reading materials scattered throughout the magazine stacks which caught us off guard. Overall a pleasant place to spend the weekend for us, just maybe take a high clearance vehicle if you're thinking about booking.

Date of stay: March 2015
Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Mar 26, 2015
Thanks for the review and the business! I would like to mention that the directions to the property clearly state the last 7 miles are a gravel road, I also have a friend who drives a low-clearance Prius and he has driven this route dozens of times without issue. In regards to the shower I am guessing that either you did not plug in the water heater or the dial on the water heater was turned down to low, it actually works quite well and on the highest setting can be too hot for comfort, sorry that you didn't figure that out. Many guests leave reading material and I rarely run an inventory of them, I apologize for that. If you specifically let me know what magazines were questionable I will remove them, thanks again!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing