All reviews horseback riding mountain tour skeet shooting west texas luxury resort history buff family style various activities three night stay excellent accommodations hiking trails future guests unique experience high desert state park a special place fort
Selected filters
Reviewed July 16, 2019 via mobile

We visited Cibolo Creek Ranch in July because that was the only time we were available. We were expecting to stay indoors all day and enjoy only the early mornings. We were quickly proven wrong.

Every day, most of the daytime hours were comfortably in the 80s. The heat peaked at low 90s in the early afternoon, but the rest of the day the weather was comfortable to lounge in the shade, take a tour of the mountains, or walk around the beautiful fort. Locals explained that July weather in the area is pleasant each year. The bonus is most people don’t think to travel to West Texas in July so the ranch was particularly quiet then.

The place is extremely well-maintained. Not a single leaf seems out of place, water flows calmly throughout the channels in the property, and every meal and plan goes like clockwork. It’s clear this is all possible due to the professional staff. One books these types of places expecting the cost premium will mean an attention to detail. And attentive to detail they are.

We did only a couple of activities and spent time mostly relaxing, admiring the scenery and nature. But there was plenty to do should we have chosen to be more active.

We spent a restful few days at the ranch and would go back anytime we need a break. Probably in July.

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2019

My wife and I recently stayed 5 nights at the resort and can honestly say it was the most unique and enjoyable experience we have had in a long time. We are both retired airline crew and have seen and experienced many great adventures and accommodations along the way. The allure of the solitude and raw beauty are not describable in just words. The staff (Tina and Kim especially) were most gracious and exhibited a sincere interest in providing an exceptional stay. Cibolo Creek is not to be missed!

Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2019 via mobile

We visited Cibolo Creek with friends and had a great time. This is a classic Western Ranch resort that should greatly appeal to travelers around the world. You have to be a lover of open space and isolation, willing to travel a fair distance to get there, and be appreciative of the beauty of “starkness”

The ranch has excellent accommodations and great food.

Go online and see if the terrain and topography appeals to you and you are willing to take the time to get there. There is a museum on site. For us, three days would be sufficient. But hikers and horseback riders could easily stay an extra day or two.

This is high desert (4000 feet) so the weather is cooler the rest of Texas. Do your research accordingly. We stayed in late March and the weather was in the 60s.

Again, I highly recommend but make sure this kind of travel in something you would enjoy. I believe it was a bargain, relative to equivalent California lodging, but others might view it as expensive. Just realize you are paying for the cost of having a unique experience in an isolated locale. For those looking for this kind of travel, this is a great place.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2019

the experience my wife and I had was very positive. Potential guests should know they are staying in a fort that was built in the 1850's at a time when Indian attacks were a reality. The current owner, John Poindexter, has invested a great deal of time and money in his effort to bring the fort back to life. One gets the feeling that making money is not his top priority, building a first class resort in a historically accurate setting is.

The are a number of activities that are available during your stay. A tour in a rugged suv is something we did and I would recommend to future guests. Horseback riding, mountain biking, hiking trails, atv rides and skeet shooting are also on site.

A museum in on location that covers the original owner and his efforts. It also covers the period after the original owners death.

My experience with Tina and her staff was completely positive. Everyone went out their way to make our experience pleasant.

I needed to cut my four night stay to a three night stay. I informed the staff about this during my check in. They were under no legal or moral obligation not to charge me, as I was informed about their cancellation policy when I made my reservation. They granted my request with a smile.

I learned a lot about the history of west Texas during my stay there.

My one regret was that I did not get to meet the owner, Mr.Poindexter, and get to thank him for the time and expense he took to make the reconstruction of his resort historically accurate. He has done a first class job and I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a unique west Texas experience.

Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank davidcalifornia
Reviewed August 9, 2018

I have been lucky enough to stay at Cibolo Creek Ranch 4 times. It is like staying at a boutique resort and museum at the same time. If you really want to understand the far west before barbed wire and pure pioneer survivor this is a great way to do it. Great meals, clean, nice activities, and they have a standard of first class. go get your cowboy on her in class!

Date of stay: September 2017