“Enjoyed a bit of history at The Paisano”
Review of The Hotel Paisano

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marfa
The Hotel Paisano
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Marfa
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We spent two nights here and enjoyed our stay very much. We did book the Elizabeth Taylor suite (Room 212), so I cannot speak to the regular rooms. The suite is large with a full kitchen, living room, separate bedroom and bath and two small balconies that overlook the courtyard Clean, comfortable and quiet. Yes, the rooms are a bit dated looking, but that is part of the charm. You may also get an early morning wakeup call from the freight train rumbling through town blaring it's horn, alas if you are staying in Marfa no way to escape it

Room Tip: Splurge on one of the three suites, we chose the Elizabeth Taylor (room 212) and were not disappoint...

Reviewed June 3, 2014

The common area, bar and dining was very nice and the staff was great. The rooms were horrible. There was a broken hanger in the closet, I didn't bring, that told me it hadn't been vaccumed. There was a missing knob in the tub, just the metal part that would attach a knob, dangerous if you hit it. The room had no temperature control and was hot at night. Bed was very uncomfortable, no coffee pot or frigerator. Uck!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I initially made a reservation for three nights, checking in on a Tuesday and out on a Friday. Later I emailed the hotel and asked if it would be possible to move my reservation back one day, to Wednesday through Saturday. I received an email confirmation with the new dates—it was clearly a form email, identical to the first one I had received, with only the dates changed. Then, when we arrived, we were told that we would have to change rooms after two nights. We were going to have to be packed and out of our first room by 12pm (the usual check-out time) on Friday, and the person at the front desk said that they could not guarantee that we would be able to check into the new room earlier than 4pm (the usual check-in time). I did not want to have to change rooms at all, and I strenuously objected to being without a room for any significant period of time (since I was with my wife and our two kids, and we often need a rest sometime in the afternoon). Later, the same employee who had checked us in told my wife that the room change was necessary because I had asked to change the dates of the reservation. The employee seemed to think that the hotel had gone to some lengths to accommodate my request for a change and that I therefore had no right to complain about having to change rooms. She didn't seem willing to acknowledge that the real problem was that the hotel had not informed me of the new arrangements and that this was entirely the hotel’s fault—I would never have kept the reservation if I had known that we would have to change rooms. Still later, the same employee told me that something had been rearranged so that we would not have to change rooms after all. She was not at all apologetic, however; her stiffly polite manner indicated to me that she thought I was being difficult and that she was accommodating an unreasonable request.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Matt C
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I have been staying at the Paisano for several years on business. This hotel is located in historic Marfa Texas and is the location for several movie crews beginning iwht "Gone With The Wind". Don't expect a phone u=in your room, but they do have wireless and a very comfortable set up. Enjoy the court yard in the afternoon and even eat dinner there after 5.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 24, 2014

The first thing that needs to be said about the El Paisano is that it has charm galore and is well appointed. Built by the Trost Brothers--who constructed a half-dozen other hotels/buildings in west Texas--this property was opened in the 1930s. The rooms are comfortable and there is a
combined bar and dining room (plus adjacent patio), that feature both good drinks and fine food. Of note is that when the movie GIANT was being filmed west of Marfa, the stars stayed here . . . Rock Hudson (we saw his elegant suite), Elizabeth Taylor (we saw hers, too), and James Dean. And among the attractions are the unexplained and mysterious Marfa Lights, which have been going on since the 1800s. Marfa is also known as a cultural center for contemporary artists. This is a small town located not far from the Big Bend National Park, interesting, and the place to stay if you're in the west Texas neighborhood. You'll be glad you did.

Room Tip: On the mezzanine level. Most rooms are quiet: it's a very small town.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dysg
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Even if you've never seen the movie Giant, this is a great place to travel back in time. We stayed in the James Dean room - one of the smaller ones, but has a great view of the courthouse and Marfa water tower. The front desk was very helpful and the room was clean. It is an older property - but that's the charm of it. I was a little worried about noise after reading other reviews and there was some hallway/stair noise during the day. But surprisingly at night, we didn't hear a thing. Also, the "European shower" means it's just an open shower plan with a curtain but that's about it. I do recommend that they update their website with better descriptions and pictures so you know what each room offers. The bottom floor rooms around the outside of the building had really nice patios. Didn't try out the fitness center or the restaurant.

Room Tip: James Dean room is upstairs at the top of the stairs. It's smaller, but has a great view. The...
2  Thank Amy F
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The rooms are very adequate but a little dated. I suspect that they are pretty similar to the way they were when they filmed Giant. This is a hotel built in the 1920's. It has beautiful lobby, courtyard with a gorgeous fountain; in short beautiful common areas. The staff is helpful. They put out fruit and coffee in the morning. Lemonade in the afternoon. They have recently added flat panel TV's. The rooms overlooking the courtyard are the most desirable. Ask for one when you make your reservation. The location is great, everything is close by

Room Tip: This is more of a tip to management. Give your desk clerks some leeway or guidelines in pricing ( e...
2  Thank Austin720
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marfa
Hotel Saint George
#2 of 13 in Alpine
Quarter Circle 7 Hotel
Quarter Circle 7 Hotel
#4 of 13 in Alpine

Been to The Hotel Paisano? Share your experiences!