“Gem of a Hotel in West Texas!”
Review of The Hotel Paisano

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marfa
The Hotel Paisano
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Marfa
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Visited Marfa on our way to Big Bend National Park and decided to stay at the Hotel Paisano. Some of the reviews on tripadvisor are pretty negative, but we took a chance and are we glad we did. This is a lovely, charming hotel of the old school.Everything was perfect, from the gracious fountain-adorned courtyard to the spacious lobby, to the original wooden doors off the corridors (with the original, although covered over, transom lites). Marfa itself is a bit of a wasteland and finding a place to eat was tricky. But the management at the hotel helped with a dinner suggestion (separate review of Cochineal will be posted). Breakfast was a bit more challenging but we did manage to find a small diner.

The hotel has a terrific little exhibit about the filming of Giant and a few interesting gift shops.If you find yourself in Marfa be sure to book a room here!

Room Tip: Be aware there is no elevator in the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 11, 2011

All I can really say is WOW, what a beautiful gem in the middle of the desert! When you walk through the lobby it's as though you have traveled back in time! Such an elegant hotel with
an eerily quiet feeling about it (in a good way)...if you want to GET AWAY from it all, go here! Can't wait to stay here in the future.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Thunderbird for one night and then Paisano for two nights. We both MUCH preferred the Paisano and here's why: Everyone was very friendly at the Paisano and the hotel really does feel historic. The courtyard is gorgeous and the margaritas are great. And I consider myself to be pretty discerning when it comes to margaritas! Although there was not really a breakfast included, there was fruit and coffee available in the lobby each morning. There was also a small coffee maker in the room. (If you don't like coffee, a great selection of teas are available in the vending area.) The pool is somewhat inside and we didn't go in. No hot tub, unfortunately. Beds and bathrooms were clean and comfortable. The best part was that we were upgraded to a room with a private balcony because our original room had a problem with the AC unit. The private balcony had it's own fireplace with a complimentary fire log. We slept with the doors open both nights, even in August. Lovely, lovely hotel. Thank you, Paisano!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LibraryLady22
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We used Marfa as a stopover place on our last night of vacation to break up the long drive from NM. It was a bit out of the way to just stop in, but we had heard many wonderful things about this town and figured it was worth the extra miles to get there. We were VERY pleased with our choice. The Hotel is very laid back as is the entire town. We booked a suite and it was beautiful and roomy. The living area was as if we were in our own home with 2 very comfy chairs and an overstuffed sofa which was also a bed. The 2Q. beds were quite comfortable as well. There was a flat screen and DVD player in the room; however, in the standard rooms it is just a small 13" older TV as stated in other reviews. The carpet in the suite could have used a serious shampooing for some stains, but the room was overall quite delightful. The bathroom was small; only 1person at a time could fit in there to get ready, but when in Marfa, you're really not in a hurry. The morning coffee in the lobby was nice and definitely drink it on the patio/courtyard. We were only there for 1 night so we didn't have time to do the art scene in town or drive to the observatory, but you could really spend a couple of nights exploring Marfa. Take the time to drive east of town 9 miles at night for the Marfa lights; they're there! If you are a family of 4 or more, splurge and book a suite; you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank benick
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This was the 8th stop on our 4,000 mile road trip from Las Vegas to Gulf of Mexico and back.

We stayed here in Marfa as we wanted to see the phenomenon of Marfa lights.

We pulled up outside the Paisano Hotel and was relieved to find that there was just 1 room left as there was a wedding next day and the rehearsal dinner was for that evening. Someone had cancelled and we had the last room.

I was a little bit surprised at how shabby this hotel was, broken tiles on the stairs.

We changed and went to the pool, the pool dipped from 3' to 9' in a space of a few feet and not being a strong swimmer was no good for me, it appeared to have so much chlorine in the pool it was cloudy.

The room was extremely scruffy as was the whole hotel. There was no coffee making facilities in the room, totally unacceptable when you are paying over $100 for the night, no breakfast included as well.

I went to the reception desk and asked about a coffee maker and was told by presumably the manager that I could have a coffee courtesy of the hotel, I should think so too, but we had to have it in the courtyard of the bar and had to wait for a good half hour.

That evening there was a dog in one of the rooms nearby that was constantly barking.

We went to a small Italian restaurant in the town but it was incredibly expensive and had no atmosphere at all.

We went out in the evening to see the lights and sure enough they appeared for us. There is a viewing area where they are seen so it was something we had always wanted to see but was a bit spoiled by the hotel.

In the morning we had to find a place for breakfast and there was a small cafe just around the corner and the breakfast was ok.

There are a few little shops in the lobby selling mainly rubbish but one of the shops had half the ceiling all over the floor as it had come down in the night.

The parking was on the street.

I know the hotel was full and busy but trying to get any kind of service seemed impossible. I felt the staff weren't very caring perhaps they were run ragged by the wedding party.

I don't regard this hotel as 'Historic' coming from the UK we have small 'Historic' hotels that are wonderful and the standard kept up with.

We stayed at some beautiful hotels and some rubbish ones and this one I would definitely not stay in again or recommend to anyone.

The town itself was very pretty and I just wished we'd stayed in another hotel, there is something to be said for 'chain' hotels.

If you stay in Marfa, stay at another hotel.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay in this hotel again!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alfaromeoKent
Reviewed July 29, 2011

This charming hotel is quiet, peaceful, full of charm and full of character. I fully expected Elizabeth Taylor and Rock Hudson to come sweeping down the staircase at any moment. The service is superb. I loved my room. Although small, it was very comfortable, charming, but had the modern amenities such as a flat screen TV and refrigerator. The bath was old fashioned and charming. I had a patio with a fireplace that I sat on in the evenings and looked at the stars. Jett's Grill has fantastic food. I stayed for 2 weeks due to business and the staff was fabulous. My son and his wife stayed there several weeks after I did and they came home raving. I am working on spending some time there this fall. The weather was fabulous, the people are great and I want Room 109 back!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank LJJ011
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We visited the hotel on a trip last year to Alpine and Davis Observatory and on this visit decided to stay at this historic (for two reasons) hotel. The place is right out of the 30s to 50s and much of the decor is from that era. The hotel was designed by a famous architect of the time whose name escapes me (google hotel for all the facts).

The staff is great, the rooms are neat and you have a variety of types to choose from including a room like James Dean stayed in or the room Elizabeth Taylor or Rock Hudson stayed in. Rates are average and the smaller rooms are less expensive than the run of the mill Holiday Inn (or whatever) in Alpine, 20 miles away.

Room Tip: Bathrooms in lower priced rooms are small because that is the way they were when designed and they h...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Texwebs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marfa
Hotel Saint George
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alpine Southeast
Hampton Inn Alpine
Hampton Inn Alpine
#2 of 13 in Alpine

Been to The Hotel Paisano? Share your experiences!