“Even better than imagined”
Review of Cochineal

Cochineal
Ranked #9 of 34 Restaurants in Marfa
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic
Description: Located 4 doors west of the only red light intersection in Marfa . Look for the courtyard with trees lit up in the patio. Across from Roy's automotive.
Reviewed July 3, 2014

A wonderful innovative meal, in a beautiful room, with great service.
I had heard about Cochineal since it opened, but never was in Marfa at night until last week. As Michelin would say, its not just worth a visit, it's worth a detour. Next time I will spend the night in town to make sure I can enjoy another dinner there.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Cochineal chefs, waitstaff, and bartender never let me down! I am somewhat of a local in the West Texas area so I only get to dine there with friends once, maybe twice a year.
We are never disappointed, dis-satisfied, or remotely unhappy.

My guests agree with the previous reviews about the food and the unexpected quality!

Highly recommend this establishment!

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Goof food, kind of high end food in the "middle of nowhere". I wasn't expecting to find a "new york" restaurant in distant marfa, but there it was. Cool, very nicely decorated, calm ambiance. A little pricy, but it is a different restaurant in a remote location. Good wine list (it even had Portuguese wines :) ).

Reviewed May 29, 2014

First class food in the high desert. The story is that a couple of NY chefs relocated to Marfa and opened this place. I believe it. My spouse ordered the Korean rice bowl which blended flavors and textures in a unique way. I had a grilled ribeye on spinach which was wonderful. We share a date pudding with rum caramel sauce. Don't count on finding these choices as the menu, limited to 4-5 choices, changes daily. Count on creative tastes and presentations.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

We agree with the rating that says "excellent food and quite innovative. That sums up this place. We're not foodies, but we like trying new things. The choices were interesting and unique. The menu changes, but if you get a chance, try the tempura vegetables. You have to order the bread separately but it's well worth it. You can put together a tapas style meal The options are somewhat pricey, but everything tasted very good and was well-presented. The modern, urban decor isn't our preferred taste, and you might not want to sit next to the kitchen because you'll be in a narrow hallway type area, but overall the food and service are worth the trip.