“In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king....”
Review of Cochineal

Cochineal
Ranked #6 of 33 Restaurants in Marfa
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic
Description: Located 4 doors west of the only red light intersection in Marfa . Look for the courtyard with trees lit up in the patio. Across from Roy's automotive.
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Yes it's an oasis, and allowances must be made for remoteness, but to charge $38 for steak and fries is Over the top. Plus the steak was overcooked, and over peppered, I suspect to hide the quality of the meat. My friendly neighbors at the next table had the same opinion and result. The fries were done in old oil. My 'beef' is that this is cow country and its a travesty to have such a poor quality steak.

Our server was friendly, Julie, and fairly attentive. Had to ask for our drinks and the plates to be removed. She gave a good recommendation on the wine.

My wife liked the thai style sunfish.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I was able to get a seat at the bar (where you can eat the whole menu) on a full Friday night. These folks are making delicious, interesting food and cocktails in a pretty remote place.

1  Thank Annie R
Reviewed December 6, 2013

If you ever happen to be in Marfa, Texas you need to eat at Cochineal (especially on Monday or Tuesday when the town is basically shut down). It was a little piece of heaven in the desert. Service was good, the wine list extensive, and the food was top notch. Menu changes on a daily basis. Reservations are highly suggested. Eat in the kitchen area and you get to watch the chefs at work. Highly recommend.

1  Thank dragonlady1969
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We ate here on a Friday night in Marfa - it was not our first choice but everyplace was full and we ended up here but glad we did. It was very crowded and we had to eat at the bar but the service was top-notch and the food was GREAT! We had the bread as an appetizer - they told the people next to us it was the best bread in Texas and I wouldn't argue. As well as the house butter. My husband got a steak and I had the quail - both were wonderfully prepared and VERY VERY good. We can highly recommend this restaurant, just be sure and make reservations!

1  Thank Vicki M
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We had a very good brunch here. It's serve yourself coffee. Very nice design/decor. A little expensive. It's not typical of west Texas, but it'll give ya a little bit of Austin/NYC vibe if that's what you seek. They have booze if a bloody is what you require. I had an egg bake dish with bacon. It was pretty good. It got pretty busy while we were there, but we walked away happy.