“Good Show”

Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Marfa
More attraction details
Owner description: Mysterious dancing lights ("ghost lights") in the sky over Marfa after dark.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We were in West Texas last weekend. We had heard and read about the Marfa Lights. I had seen mixed reviews. We must have hit it at the right time. Just before sunset the lights began to appear. The darker it got, the more active the lights were. We watched them for about 1 1/2 hours. The visitor center is very nice. There are restrooms available. Also stationary viewing binoculars help you to see the lights in the distance. There are several informational placards that give the history of the area from an air base to a POW camp. Be sure to get there before sunset to read all of the placards before the sun goes down. I recommend eating in Alpine at the La Trattoria Restaurant before the show.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I drove to the overlook built by the Texas DOT that is nine miles outside Marfa to take in the lights. If you visit Marfa and are there after dark don't pass this up - not that you have many choices for nighttime entertainment in Marfa - a city of less than 3000. We joked that the lights were Marfa residents with flashlights, but they are there, they are real and they are a mystery. Check it out.

1  Thank nosheep
Reviewed March 31, 2013

... we are still scratching our heads. The roadside outpost 9 miles outside of Marfa is wonderfully designed. Head out there right after sunset. And, we saw the bouncing lights. Didn't expect to see anything and sure enough there they were.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I use to live in Alpine Texas and I have seen this place a million times. Evn dating k to my days in Girl Scouts before they built the visitor center. You use to have to sit on benches just feet away from the highway. Some people believe and find it amazing. Some think it's silly or just car heads lights. You really have to come out and see it for yourself. Some nights the lights are alive and there are many of them, some nights you only see a few. Be sure to go out on a night when the moon is not full and it is not windy, cloudy or hazy. I think the summer time really brings the lights to life. Its amazing, thrilling and sometimes the lights will FREAK you out. Definitely worth the trip out.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We made the drive out to the well designed viewing area (done by the high school's gifted and talented program). We couldn't believe how many people were out there to look at mystery lights. We were there during spring break and I bet there were several hundred people waiting patiently to see lights. Although we didn't see any, it was fun to listen to those who thought they say lights (headlights of cars). The kids' imaginations were hilarious. Even though we didn't see lights, we chalked the time out here to experiencing the local culture.

1  Thank Texans112