“What the what? ?????”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Read other reviews before going. Despite the reviews on terrible service and food, we had a friend give us an excellent recommendation, so we went. SO GLAD WE DID! The food was awesome. ..... great portions. .....couldn't have asked for better! AND THE service? ????? BEST I CAN EVER REMEMBER! SHE was friendly, personable, AND ACCOMMODATING! When we asked for something special.... she figured out where my husband was going with that request and made an additional suggestion which he would not have thought of, not knowing what the restaurant had. Turned out to be a fabulous idea! We couldn't have enjoyed it more. Can't wait to return!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,378)

Reviewed March 19, 2014

We went for dinner and breakfast. Had great catfish for dinner with wonderful pie and for breakfast had a great omelet. Great value for the price.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

I saw the sign out front "in business since 1929" and thought I had found a diner that did things grandma's way. Not so much! More like cafeteria at school..on a bad day. The vegetables were straight from a can and only moderately warm. I had the chicken and dumplings which was the daily special. Ugh. The so-called dumplings were thick masses of doughballs and the pieces of chicken looked like they boiled them separately. I don't think grandma did it this way.

Now one good thing here you might enjoy is the malt. They could improve it with a little more ice cream in the mix but otherwise it was better than most. One malt or shake is enough for two people but truly...skip lunch and go straight for dessert. It's their saving grace.

1  Thank RCTSRUS
Reviewed March 12, 2014

On our way to Fredericksburg for spring break we stopped at Bluebonnet for breakfast. It was great, and FAST. Huge portions.
On the way back from Fredericksburg we stopped at Bluebonnet for lunch. Even at 2pm the line was out the door but it moved quickly. Our food came pretty quick after we ordered. When the waitress put my son's steak down she said "Oh that's well done and you ordered medium, let me go get you what you wanted" and was back shortly with another steak.
I had the chicken fried and it was the best I've had in quite awhile. The split pea soup was killer also, especially with the fresh cornbread. We took a chocolate meringue pie home with us and I just polished off a slice.......outstanding.
We will stop again on our frequent trips to the Hill Country.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

This is what I've learned to expect of Texas diners, hence the average score from me. Slimy vegetable side dishes swimming in butter or something greasy, not a lot of real fresh anything. I ate here several dozen times between 2007 and 2009, but have not been back since then only because I stopped having business meetings in Marble Falls. Current reviews seem to show nothing has changed with this place! They did have good specials (price wise), which turned out to be the best bet taste wise most days. The pie is ok, but not nearly as good as my family's homemade pies, so I wouldn't call it homemade. Staff was always a bit hurried and uncaring, though they did their job. The place gets super busy around noon for the lunch rush. There aren't a ton of other sit-down options in this area for lunch, so plan accordingly. Maybe their breakfast is better than lunch or dinner, so I would be willing to try their breakfast out and see before throwing this place completely in the "meh" category.

1  Thank Vick31