“I should have known....”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel Marble Falls
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Marble Falls
Austin
“I should have known....”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was panicked to get a reservation for an upcoming family wedding next month. I was too late to get the "special" wedding rate. The first two hotels I called were booked. I went online and got what I thought was a refundable rate from this location. Unfortunately, I didn't thoroughly read the cancellation policy, probably because the cheapest room said "non-refundable" and so I went to the next higher price, which said, "Must book at least 1 day in advance. A deposit of 1 night stay is due at the time of booking. Canceling your reservation ... will result in forfeiture of your deposit." I only needed the room for one-night so that my 88 year old mother in law (the eldest surving member in the family) could stay late and enjoy family(she only lives about 45 minutes away, but it is one of the unsafest -is that a word- roads in central texas to drive at night).

Within 24 hours I learned I needed to cancel the reservation and was surprised to find out that I would lose the entire payment over $200. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. So, I thought I would call the hotel and see if they could cancel for me without charges. The front desk person told me this was impossible because it was billed on the "system." I asked for the customer service number and he gave me an email address. The response to my email was to wait 2-3 weeks to get a response. So, I found the 800 # and called. I was told that billing was up to the specific location and that I should call the hotel!!! UGH. I should have known!

I called back and spoke to the manager. Most hotel managers have the authority to handle something like this. My reservation wasn't even 24 hours old and it was still 4 weeks away. The best he could do was return all but $50 of my payment. So I am stuck with a $50 charge (as far as I know, it hasn't happened yet) for a room I will never use. I know this is the reason for "guaranteed" rates. This has only happened once to me before (about 4 years ago) and there was no problem cancelling my reservation without a charge.

I am most upset with the run-around and the time it took getting this resolved. I did received an offer to stay at a reduced rate that was still more than the wedding rate. I decided I did not want to do business with these people at all. Customer care is not just a new fresh building. I get tired of people saying it is out of their hands. I doubt that.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank D R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Marble Falls, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear D R,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the misdemeanor you experienced. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Bryan, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Any time we travel to Marble Falls we stay at this Holiday Inn Express. The hotel is very clean and the staff are always friendly. A big thank you to Janice, Brianna, and the rest of the hotel staff for always making our experience a great one!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EAC_2008
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Great rooms and an enjoyable stay. The morning staff working the front desk and dining area were polite and just made the stay just that much better. Definitely will stay again and I recommend this hotel to anyone!!

• Stayed August 2013
Oskaloosa, Kansas
Reviewed August 16, 2013

After our awful experience at La Quinta we came here to get nice adjoining rooms. They had the rooms we needed and our family had a lovely stay. Perfect for large families. We had 2 adjoining rooms and every one had a bed. All the rooms have pull out sofa's and nice comfortable beds. The kids loved the pool in the evening. It was quiet and nice. Breakfast was good. The kids love the pancake machine. Several choices for breakfast. We will come here first next time.

Katy,TX
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This Marble Falls HIE ir highly rated for a reason. Our family reunion group was treated like family-Brandon(general mamager), Jesse, Janice, Tanner, Heather(front desk), Amie, Maria, Brianna, James K..(staff services), & Billy(maintenance man) were all very accomodating. They took care of our special needs, the rooms were clean, and the breakfast was excellent. We had 80 family members present throughout the weekend and they took care of everything we needed from the LBJ room for visiting to setting up the Vista Room for our catered dinner. We will be back year for our next reunion!! Thanks-they proved that excellent customer service is not a thing of the past!!

Room Tip: All rooms are suites so nice and roomy.
1 Thank JaniceMoodySijansky
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The room and breakfast is what you would expect for a HIExpress. Nothing special. However, when we had an issue the staff was less than helpful. The issue was with the queen size beds. A member of our party who is older, short and has a back problem was unable to get up into the beds. While this is not a negative on the hotel, how the staff treated her was. The suggestion was a step stool (who with a back problem can twist off of a stool into a bed?!). The other suggestion was to sleep on a pull out sofa in the room (who with a back problem can sleep on that kind of a mattress?!). There was no apology and no offer for any kind of compensation. The staff was not rude but they were not helpful. Needless to say, we will not be staying there again.

2 Thank Cocobear
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Marble Falls, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Cocobear,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. It is regrettable to hear your stay was negatively affected due to the some challenges you experienced with our staff. We want our guest to have a pleasant and professional experience when interacting with our team members. Rest assured that this isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken to improve our guest services.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Anadarko, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We truly enjoyed our stay at this nice new Holiday Inn Express! The room was very spacious with sitting area and everything was very clean. The best thing was the breakfast . The staff was so nice and constantly cleaning and refilling the food and condiments. I don't remember when I have been so pleased and surprised with a hotel! :)

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor do not require waiting for the elevator or using stairs.
1 Thank Cookie S
#3 of 7 in Marble Falls
Lakeway Resort and Spa
Comfort Inn & Suites Burnet
Holiday Inn Express Lakeway

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel Marble Falls? Share your experiences!