“Cozy, friendly and beautiful b&b with great hosts.”

Eve's Garden Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Marathon B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 22, 2010

I go out to west texas twice a year, usually, and i always include marathon in my trip. even if i don't have a chance to stay at eve's garden, i love to stop in and say hi to Kate and Clyde. they are friendly, kind and interesting people.
i have a lot of favorite things about eve's garden. one is the breakfasts are spectacular! two is that the rooms are incredible. kate and clyde have built all the rooms and they are painted bright warm colors. i love how unique and special each room is. three is that the beds are so comfortable, and they use nice comforters and bed sheets - i always get a good nights sleep. four is how lovely the garden and greenhouse courtyard is. five is the hot tub, where my friends and i always end up at the end of the day. in january when it's freezing outside, there's no better place to ring in a new year than in the hot tub at eve's garden. six is supporting a cool local organic b&b in the middle of my favorite desert!
i could go on, but you should check the place out for yourself. oh they also have books in the rooms so if you forget to take one, there's some great ones on the shelves :) i always go out with friends, but eve's is also perfect for a couple's weekend get away.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 20, 2010

My husband and I stopped in the tiny town of Marathon on a cross country road trip. We are so glad we chose to stay at Eve's garden. Having spent many hours traveling, this was the perfect place to relax and rejuvenate. This is a pretty unique place....it is owned and managed by an artist and this is very evident in all of the beautiful details throughout. The building is a brightly painted adobe, with rooms surrounding a beautiful garden. On the property they also have an outdoor hot tub and indoor lap pool. The best part about staying here was definitely the excellent personalized service. Kate (the owner) is an excellent cook and made us the most delicious breakfast...everything was very fresh and unique. She is also the type of person who really bends over backwards if you have any dietary needs. After breakfast, we ended up hanging out longer than expected because we were having such a nice time visiting with our hosts and the other friendly travelers at Eve's Garden. This is a great place to stay!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2010

The first time I saw Eve’s Garden I couldn’t take my eyes off it. It’s so beautiful with it’s colorful domes and luscious gardens. When we walked through the gate cute kittens chasing each other through the outdoor courtyard (that are not allowed in any of the closed spaces) greeted us. We immediately felt at home when Kate came out to meet us, laughing, all smiles to give us a tour of her romantic property. It truly is a feast for the eyes!
The indoor pool is beautiful, peaceful and quiet. Pass the pool and you enter her cozy living room filled to the brim with lovely books and a comfy couch. The kitchen is truly the heart of the home. We’ve spent several new year eves cooking and drinking wine over her beautiful island. The very neat and clean rooms vary in size, but they all look like jewel boxes. Barreled ceilings, domes and low light make them intimate and artful, and the beds are super comfy. Kate always leaves fresh flowers for her guests in each room. The indoor garden and ponds are very special as well. I’ve never seen anything quit like it.
Breakfast with Kate and Clyde is just as special as the sacred space they’ve built. I have never had a frittata as good as what Kate made for us! Delicious juice and precious presentation so caringly orchestrated made me feel like they considered me part of their family. The experience is worth every penny, and I always recommend Eve’s Garden to anyone heading out that way. It’s not just a bed and breakfast. It’s artful living. It’s a peaceful retreat, and it holds a very special place in my heart.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 20, 2010

I spent 2 nites at Eve's & thought it was phenominal! Super quirky & so different than any other B&B or hotel in the area, if not the country.
I've traveled all over the world & Eve's is one of the most memorable places I've stayed.
Each room is different & has a theme, very cool. The owners are super sweet & fun to talk to. I enjoyed the indoor gardens & fountain, hot tub & one of a kind architecture.
Now if you're looking for a 4 star resort or the 4 Seasons, this may not be the place for you. It's West Texas, a quirky place in itself. You also have to remember that this is a B&B, this is the owner's HOME you are staying in. I had a good friends in Austin, TX that owned a B&B and it was nothing short of a full-time job x10!
I will have to respectfully disagree with some previous reviews who dissed Eve's. I never encountered bugs, except outside(it is W. Texas) & the kitchen was nothing short of immaculate. I should know, we cooked in it!
If you are looking for something different, then Eve's is your place. If you want something you can get everywhere else that comes with a fake smile & identical rooms, then Eve's is not for you.

1  Thank Fluxstudio
Reviewed June 19, 2010

I have been coming out to Marathon with friends for the last several years now. Part of our tradition is to stay at Eve's Garden with Kate and Clyde- two of the loveliest and hardest working people I have the pleasure of knowing.
The space is bright and colorful with handmade touches everywhere- and rightly so; They built the place themselves! The greenhouse courtyard is bright and inviting with plants and flowers and even an indoor pond. In the outdoor patio, there is a nice seating area, a hot tub (which has been the site of much hilarity on our annual visits) and a little outdoor fireplace. There's an indoor lap pool, too, though I have never used it!
The rooms are like something out of a fairy tale with curving walls and dome ceilings and little nooks and special touches everywhere. The beds are cozy and comfortable with nice sheets and the bathrooms are even fun- nice towels and little built-in seats in the shower.
Kate is an artist in so many ways, not the least of which is displayed in her cooking. She makes baked french toast and poached pears and homemade breads and fritattas and such delectable treats for breakfast. Juices and fantastic coffee. too.
I think for someone like me and my friends and family, Eve's Garden is ideal. We are a crafty & garden-y bunch so this place is just a treat for us. The only downside I can think of is that they don't allow pets. But sometimes a vacation from my big ol dogs is nice, too.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank juujj
Reviewed June 19, 2010

Our friends stay here every year on New Year's Eve and we consider it one of the highlights of our year. The architecture is amazing and one-of-a-kind. After reading the other reviews, I think that you need to be an artistic, open-minded and free thinker to truly understand and appreciate what Clyde and Kate are doing. They have created a massive oasis in the middle of a desert: lush landscapes, vibrant buildings, cozy rooms, delicious food, and unbeatable service. You do not want to miss out on this experience if you are anywhere near Big Bend.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 29, 2009

When we arrived, we found that the rooms wer nothing like the web site. The place was filthy with trash and flies in the kitchen area. I would not have let my pet eat food from the kitchen. The pool was not working, thus disapointing the child.
With all the problems, the manager just did not care. So we decided to move on. I heard things are full; you will not find a room. We did at a pleasent place, the Marathon Motel.
Even though we arrived in the afternoon so the reservation should have been cancelled. We were charged for the room.

Thanks to the credit card company for removing the charge.

I would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank bubba65
Alaine B, Owner at Eve's Garden Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2012

We always appreciate feedback, we’ll address your points one by one below…
Our Website:
We just launched a new website now April, 2012. More suggestions always welcome on that. Or share pictures!

Our Kitchen:
I am the owner’s (Kate’s) daughter-in-law; I spend much of my time in the kitchen. Kate would NEVER leave or let me leave her kitchen dirty, Never! As an organic B & B, we do our best to conserve resources, we do keep all of our food scraps for our neighbors at Z-Bar Farms and their goats, (it has been a long time since this review was posted, sorry for delay in responding, just getting into the modern world here) it was probably an afternoon we had set out the food scraps for Sally, the ranch owner, to come and pick up the scraps for the goats (and chickens, and puppies). On days when not expecting Miss Sally, I have a fridge in which I store the goat food. But I can not imagine that there had been a fly in our kitchen!

Pool:
Eve’s Garden does not advertise that we have a pool.
We have a winter and spring reflection pool and a warm weather lap pool.
As the water is solar heated it warms up in the summer and is a refreshing source of water on a warm desert afternoon.
As Eve’s Garden’s vision is one of conserving resources and demonstrating how to tread more lightly, the idea of expending resources to heat a large space of water in the wintertime is against our principles. Our sumertime pool has a water transfer system flows the water between the pool and the greenhouse; heating the pool and cooling off our greenhouse.

Our Refund Policy:
Again, this was posted in Nov, 2009, we’ve changed and improved. We do have a clear refund policy on our website, however we have grown and learned and if someone felt unhappy with our home, we’d be happy to do all we could to make them happy.

Marathon Motel:
We agree, nice place, a different concept than Eve’s Garden, but nice folks, nice place.

And:
The events that the reviewer described don't seem to match any guest that we had reserved or any of our records. We had no unfulfilled reservations in the months during or before this review and our credit card processor did not remove any charges. However, we certainly do apologize for any negative experience or misunderstanding.

Thanks again for the feedback, sorry you got the wrong impression,
Alaine, Noble, Kate
Eve's Garden Organic Bed and Breakfast and Ecology Resource Center

Been to Eve's Garden Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!