“Nice Experience - A Bit Pricey”
Review of 12 Gage

12 Gage
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Marathon
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The restaurant at the Gage Hotel
Lake Jackson, Texas
“Nice Experience - A Bit Pricey”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Made a reservation to eat dinner here the night we stayed at the adjoining Gage Hotel. The staff was friendly and the menu was interesting. Overall the food quality was good - my daughter and husband enjoyed their meat based meals. While not a vegetarian I went with the veggie option and while it was good, it was nothing to write home about. I had meat envy :) The beet salad was very good and I would recommend. While the meal and atmosphere was very enjoyable, the restaurant is pricey so be prepared.

• Visited December 2013

Jefferson, Oregon
“Extremely Unrealistic!”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Wasn't anything else in town to choose from for dinner (excluding the White Buffalo Bar). Had a difficult time finding a menu. The menu wasn't posted on the Gage Hotel's website even though this is the Gage Hotel's restaurant. The only posted menu is next to the entrance. The entrees start at $17 for Chicken Fried Steak and go up to $37. They don't start serving until 6 PM. Extremely unreasonable menu for a traveler looking for basic food. Drove the 30 or so miles into Alpine where there is more to choose from, the prices are more reasonable and where back to the hotel before 6 PM!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Barb B
Arkansas
“Great food, great atmosphere, wonderful staff”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We really enjoyed this restaurant. First off, the entire staff is extremely friendly and personable. Other restaurant owners should visit here to see how customers should be treated by employees. The restaurant decor is western themed and relaxed. You can come dressed in jeans or a suit and be appropriately attired.

The menu is small but has a variety of options. I had a chicken fried steak and my wife ordered a tenderloin. The chicken fried steak was good and was accompanied by great mashed potatoes and gravy. My wife's tenderloin was cooked to perfection.

Prior to dinner we ordered a couple of margaritas. They were good but not great. For the price charged per drink I expected a finely crafted cocktail and these were just average.

If you are traveling Hwy 90 in far west Texas stop in at the 12 Gage and enjoy a good meal, a cool atmosphere, and great hospitality,

• Visited October 2013
“Excellent dinner”
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed an excellent dinner at this restaurant. The service was friendly, the food prepared with fresh local ingredients and tastefully served. By local standards, maybe a little pricey, but if you like good food and are from a city where you can get it, I think you will be pleased with this restaurant.

Visited September 2013
Bedford, Texas
“Wonderful unexpected meal in the desert”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We did not stay at the Gage Hotel, but decided to have dinner at the 12 Gage after a long road trip. It was also the only restaurant open in Marathon at the relatively early hour of 7:30 PM. I was expecting it to be pricey, and it was; however, our meal was definitely the best we ate in Far West Texas during our vacation. The service was prompt and friendly, and Jeremy did a great job as our waiter. They brought us a cup of gazpacho soup and bread, and we ordered prickly pear margaritas, a very unusual treat. I rarely drink, and when I do, it's tequila, so any mixed drink I'd order better be worth the price. It was! We had a spinach salad (a new offering on the menu) as an appetizer; for our entrees, I had some very pleasing King salmon, while others at the table had the chicken fried steak, which I heard was seasoned perfectly. We ate on the patio on an absolutely perfect night (mild breeze, 73 degrees), and walked around for a while marvelling at the awesome starry sky. The only thing I regret is not being able to visit the Gage Hotel's huge gardens and orchard. I understand that they grow some of their own vegetables for the restaurant. Maybe on my next visit to West Texas, there'll be time to wander their gardens! By the way, I spent about $50 for my drink, appetizer, and entree, and I would be hard pressed to find a better meal, even in Dallas or Fort Worth, where I live.

• Visited September 2013