“Excellence in the desert”
Review of 12 Gage

12 Gage
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Marathon
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The restaurant at the Gage Hotel
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

The marinated tenderloin was divine - my wife's food was excellent. I've been fortunate enough to travel around the world and eat in some excellent 5 star restaurants, yet this is the only place in the world that strikes such a perfect balance in service while not appearing overbearing or snooty. Yes, it's pricey, but it's worth every cent. This is the only TripAdvisor review I've ever given straight 5s all across the board.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We ate dinner at the 12 Gage while staying at the Gage Hotel. Living in Dallas provides plenty of opportunity to enjoy fine dining. The meal we had at 12 Gage is on par with anything we've recently had in Dallas. The pre-meal bread was excellent, as was the shrimp and grits appetizer. I had the chicken fried steak while my wife had the tenderloin. Both were very good. We had cobbler and key lime pie for dessert and enjoyed both very much. This is the second time I've eaten at the 12 Gage, the first being years ago as a stopover on the way to Big Bend. I don't remember much about the first visit other than I really enjoyed it. This visit sticks in my mind, though, as the service and meal were excellent.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

The food was delicious and there is a nice variety on the menu. We were with 2 other couples and all of us enjoyed our meals. Great chicken fried steak, chicken enchiladas, filet mignon, salmon and even a vegetarian stuffed pepper. The prices were comparable to nice restaurants elsewhere.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We tried to book a room in the Gage Hotel on route 90 in Marathon, TX when we visit the Big Bend Parks recently. They were fully booked, but after visiting the parks we decided to try their 12 Gage Restaurant anyway and what a pleasant surprise. In the middle of the desert, miles away from any sizable town, here was a lovely, slightly rustic Southwestern oasis with excellent food and a large audience to enjoy it. Obviously this is a popular destination for local connoisseurs. We sat on the patio with a nice heater to keep us warm on this cool evening in early March. The menu was fairly traditional with some local touches (wild boar) and promised homegrown fruit and vegetables. I had a lovely Tortilla soup and a Southwestern Caesar Salad, my husband had the Beef tenderloin, which was huge but tender. He had enough room for a traditional Pecan Pie. Some good wine and coffee perfected this unexpected romantic meal in the desert.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I was expecting authentic "cowboy fare" to go along with the decor, but this was absolutely gourmet top shelf! My daughter and I ate here before our Big Bend trip. We had no reservations but they promptly seated us. The menu was varied and imaginative. My daughter had the salmon which might appear risky this far inland but it was awesome. I had the locally inspired stuffed Pablano pepper and it was fantastic! The roasted beet salad and asparagus soup were perfect starters. We finished with house made desserts and were very happy campers before four days of freeze dried camping food.

Nice wine list and excellent attentive service. Highly recommend.