“Oasis in the desert”

Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The restaurant at the Gage Hotel
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We tried to book a room in the Gage Hotel on route 90 in Marathon, TX when we visit the Big Bend Parks recently. They were fully booked, but after visiting the parks we decided to try their 12 Gage Restaurant anyway and what a pleasant surprise. In the middle of the desert, miles away from any sizable town, here was a lovely, slightly rustic Southwestern oasis with excellent food and a large audience to enjoy it. Obviously this is a popular destination for local connoisseurs. We sat on the patio with a nice heater to keep us warm on this cool evening in early March. The menu was fairly traditional with some local touches (wild boar) and promised homegrown fruit and vegetables. I had a lovely Tortilla soup and a Southwestern Caesar Salad, my husband had the Beef tenderloin, which was huge but tender. He had enough room for a traditional Pecan Pie. Some good wine and coffee perfected this unexpected romantic meal in the desert.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I was expecting authentic "cowboy fare" to go along with the decor, but this was absolutely gourmet top shelf! My daughter and I ate here before our Big Bend trip. We had no reservations but they promptly seated us. The menu was varied and imaginative. My daughter had the salmon which might appear risky this far inland but it was awesome. I had the locally inspired stuffed Pablano pepper and it was fantastic! The roasted beet salad and asparagus soup were perfect starters. We finished with house made desserts and were very happy campers before four days of freeze dried camping food.

Nice wine list and excellent attentive service. Highly recommend.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We didn't stay at The Gage Hotel, but definitely want to come back and do so. However we did manage to book a dinner for 4 there and found the service and atmosphere to be very nice. The drinks at the bar were first rate and there were plenty of characters for people-watching. I would not say it was the best meal I've ever had, but good enough considering one is miles and miles from 'normal civilization' and restaurants so to speak.

I'd say that most folks that head out to Marathon, Texas are not your usual travelers or tourists, so one needs to adjust their expectations based on the location of this wonderful place in remote west Texas.

Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were in Marathon for our anniversary and ate at 12 Gage one evening - best dining experience I have had in West Texas since moving to Midland last year. My husband had dove as an appetizer and the chicken enchiladas for his main course. He devoured everything, needless to say. The chef even came out and asked how everything was and explained how he cooked the dove - so personable. I got the spaghetti squash and was in heaven! It was so savory and delicious! We, of course had dessert too, which was phenomenal!!! We loved it and still talk about our meals we ate there! Can't wait to come back!!!

1  Thank ClaireTheCook
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We had dinner here while staying at the Gage Hotel. Our server seemed somewhat inexperienced, but was clearly trying hard to provide attentive upscale service. Our meals were both pretty well-prepared and attractively presented, and dessert was delicious. I have had meals this good for less money, and I have had better food for the prices that 12 Gage charges, but I will assume that there is a premium to be paid for trying to present a fine dining experience in a remote location. If 12 Gage were in a decent sized city, they would probably need to do a little better with the food preparation or lower the prices to maintain business. But, overall it was a nice experience for one meal in the Big Bend area.