“High Priced, low quality hotel”
Review of Gage Hotel

Gage Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Marathon
Corpus Christi
“High Priced, low quality hotel”
Reviewed April 18, 2010

We stayed here while visiting the Big Bend Area. My advice would be to avoid this place if at all possible.
I should have known this would be a problematic experience when the hotel charged my credit card at the time of my reservation, over one month before my actual stay.
This was a disappointing experience from arrival, where we were met by a disinterested to sullen hotel clerk to departure.
The hotel has attractive grounds and I would recommend you walk around and view them, before heading to where you will stay in another town.
The rooms are overpriced, extremely small and lacking any conventional amenities. The restaurant prices are exorbitant (Chicken Fried Steak for $22), probably because it is virtually the "only game" in town.
If visiting Big Bend , I would recommend consideration of Lajitas as a place to stay rather than here. It is much more attractive, has far more amenities and is more reasonably priced. Avoid the Gage Hotel, or pay the (exorbitant) price for a very poor experience.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ccfoodie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Dallas, TX
Reviewed March 26, 2010

We stayed at the Gage Hotel after being in Big Bend. We stayed in the older historic part with a bath. It was very nicely furnished. It was fun to walk around the Portalles section ( a coutyard area of rooms) where the rooms were quite a bit more expensive. It was fun to walk up and down the street where the Gage is located. I wish we had had more time for this. We had checked in around four and the shops closed at 6. It would have been nice if the shops were open later.

Our room was small, which we expected. The decor was very authentic. The bathroom was a good size. The lighting could have been better.

Breakfast was included. It was a continental variety.

Our biggest problem was that the pillows were pancake thin. We should have complained and seen whether more pillows or better pillows were available but we didn't. The rooms were furnished so lovely you would have thought that they would have taken better care in making sure that the pillows were comfortable.

I enjoyed staying there once. But I am not sure if I would return.
A good night's sleep was important after just spending the week hiking in Big Bend.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed January 30, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Gage the night before heading into Big Bend N.P., and we happened upon it by chance late at night. What luck! We got the last room available, which was beautifully, rustically decorated. There was no bathroom in this room, but other rooms have them. We used the shared bathrooms down the hall, and with the provided bathrobes, this was not even an issue. The bed was comfortable, and the room did have a sink. We got there too late for the restaurant, but the bar staff was kind enough to let us order some food there (and held the kitchen open for us.) The bison burger was fantastic, and the green chili salsa was perfect. The bar employees were very friendly, and we felt we couldn't have chanced upon a nicer place to stay. In the morning there was a free breakfast, and we had a nice time walking around the grounds. I loved the decor of the whole place, and we took a bunch of pictures. It's kind-of in the middle of nowhere, but it's an hour outside of Big Bend so, for us, perfectly placed. I did have an extra charge that I didn't notice until a couple weeks after I paid the bill, and when I called, I was taken care of immediately. I would happily stay at the Gage Hotel again, and would recommend it to any friends. Can't say enough nice things about it.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Boerne TX
Reviewed January 18, 2010

This hotel is totally misrepresented in its ads as a luxury historic hotel. From the disinterested front desk clerk on arrival till we left, the service staff never said thanks or if we needed anything more. The sheets smelled musty and the mattress had lumps and bumps. We had a rollaway that should have been in a garage sale. The yeast rolls at dinner were undercooked and the chicken-fried steak was so spicy it was inedible.

The hotel rates should have been more in line with its poor quality and service. Don't be fooled by the photographs.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FiveOaksDiva
Texas
Reviewed January 3, 2010

Charming hotel; bathrooms were modern and comfortable; bed mattress was comfortable; the hotel staff was helpful and friendly. It was pricey for a hotel in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 3, 2010

The Gage is legendary in West Texas for a reason. The first question that comes to mind, of course, is "WHY on earth would someone put a hotel here?!" It really is in the middle of nowhere. The town - and by "town" I mean three streets - is surprisingly lively considering the entire population could probably fit in my living room. There's a small grocery around the corner, a couple of houses behind the hotel that can be rented out to larger groups, and of course the main (old) hotel with the adjacent courtyard Portales rooms. As I'm not a fan of the shared bath concept, I'd always go for the Portales room - request one with a (kiva) fireplace. Just magical. Iron beds with serapi blankets, saltillo tile - really like something out of a magazine! Marathon is one of the quietest places I've ever been, though there is a little bar across the way - and a wonderful place to visit with someone you really like to talk to. The hotel's restaurant is very nice, but after that, there isn't a ton to do beyond enjoying nature, conversation, and stillness.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank chalupacabra
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed December 8, 2009

Most recently, we were in Big Bend for the Marathon 2 Marathon which was, you guessed it, a marathon (or half or 10K) from Alpine to, well, Marathon. The Gage was the "host" hotel, and the weekend was great fun! The hotel has such a nice rustic charm and a wonderful relaxed feel. On this visit, we had our pugs with us (a first!), and I was impressed with the hotel staff's warm greetings each time the doggies and I passed through the lobby. We'll be back on Dec. 31 for New Year's, and I'm counting the days...

This hotel may set you back more than some, but there aren't a lot of options in this part of the state, and staying at The Gage is a great indulgence. It's a perfect jumping off point for entry into and exit from BBNP when you're just not in the mood for a sleeping bag or cold shower. The restaurant, Cafe Cenizo, is fantastic but not cheap. Again, worth it! As for the occasional noise you may hear from a passing train, consider it atmosphere at no extra charge--all part of the adventure.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Gage Hotel? Share your experiences!