“Avoid the hotel bar Margaritas!”
Review of Gage Hotel

Gage Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Marathon
Reviewed June 13, 2009

The hotel is nice. We stayed in a historic room (bathroom down the short hall), but were very comfortable.

The restaurant, however, was impersonal, overpriced, and not that good. The bar is good, but they bragged on their margaritas. Even though they were pricey, we ordered a top shelf margarita. It tasted like it came from a mix. It was awful.

There's a restaurant down the street where you'll do better. And a bar across the tracks.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 8, 2009

The Gage is unique in many ways for the area. It is an oasis in the desert, with beautiful landscaping and a wonderful garden for strolllng, putting golf balls, etc. The building is a TX historical landmark, and it has character galore. The menu in the restaurant is gourmet, and considering how difficult it is to get fresh ingredients out in W. TX, the quality is outstanding. Great margaritas in the White Buffalo Bar. We stayed in both a portales room, and also shared a casita for two nights with friends. The rooms are comfortable and charming, but not luxurious other than a comfy big bed. Bathrooms are on the older side, and the rooms tend to be dark. Continental breakfasts are provided, and are adequate to get you to a more substantial lunch. The heated pool is enclosed in a courtyard and protected from the wind.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2009

I was on a 3000 mile motorcycle trip through West Texas including Big Bend. After riding around BB I headed to the Gage for the night. Walking into the place was like stepping back in time. You would expect to see cowboys in the parlor trading cattle.

My room was a little small but comfortable. The bed was firm and I got a good nights sleep.

There restaurant's food was very good although I thought the price was a little on the high side.

The internet worked however there is no TV in the room.

Over all I would not hesitate to stay there again or advise others to stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed February 8, 2009

On our way out of the Big Bend we decided to skip our usual race back to east Texas and spend a night at the Gage in the small community of Marathon, north of the Big Bend National Park entrance. It was a great choice and exceeded our expectations for accomodations, food and service. This place is the real deal. Not a lot of hype, just authentic west Texas hospitality. It was't warm enough to use the pool, but the pool area is so lovely, we'd like to come back when it is. There's not a whole lot to do in Marathon, but if you want a beautiful, friendly and comfortable place to relax, this is it!

Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank DallasGee
Reviewed January 9, 2009

This property was recommended to us by a friend as we were planning to spend 5 days exploring Big Bend Park. Their online booking process was average - it did not allow for an entry to specify the guests were bringing pets (which they allow at $10/pet/night). We stayed in the “hotel”, queen room w/private bath, in order to save some money on the room cost for the four nights we were there. Definitely an “old west” feel to the room…you almost expected to see John Wayne in the corridor! The Badlands Room was cozy/small, think NYC period hotel room size, but adequate for us and our three travelling cats. During our stay there was a problem with their central heating/cooling (no individual room controls) so we baked in the bed until I found the night auditor at 1:00 AM and begged him to just turn it off…the next night we were cold but comfortable. The room does NOT have a telephone, TV, or even a radio, moreover two lights bulbs were missing from the already dimly lit space. This is certainly a “get away from it all” experience! There is very little in the way of eating establishments in Marathon so one must drive 30 minutes to a restaurant/fast food in Alpine, TX or, eat at their lovely restaurant on site. Our three nights of meals there were delicious, intriguing, and ample but never under $100 (for two people)…even without wine. We travel the world and have much to compare to The Gage…overall, it was a generally pleasant experience that came with a hefty price tag.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank 1WellTravelled1
Reviewed October 1, 2008

I have been going to the Gage Hotel for the past 2 - 3 years, and was recently married there. We stayed for our wedding, and added on an additional week for wedding prep and R&R.

During this most recent trip, we ate at the restaurant 3 times, and Chef Paul prepared 3 additional meals for all of our wedding guests (approx 110 people at each meal). Every meal we had was excellent and served by considerate and friendly hotel/restaurant staff. The beef tenderloin was melt-in-your-mouth, the quail perfect, the tex-mex amazing. The Chef could not have done better.

The hospitality of the bar staff was also excellent. The bar has a great variety, and the folks behind the counter offer good advice on their wares.

The hotel itself is charming. The rooms have air conditioning and the most comfortable beds and bedding. The decor is West TX to the core. The in-room and outdoor fireplaces are charming, and firewood, matches, and firestarters are always available. They offer high-end suites over $300 and cheaper rooms around $80 - an excellent variety. The rooms in Los Portales are my favorite, and I love that each room has an individual porch.

I am truly suprised that people have written negative reviews of the Gage, or the associated restaurant or bar. A beautiful location, excellent food, great place to visit, and so close to the Park. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2008

The hotel room was just as advertised. It was okay.

The restaurant was another thing. Food was cold and the service was colder. My waiter was "Pancho, the unseen!" When I needed something, I got the guy at the register to get it for me. My dissatisfaction was so apparent, they gave me 10% off the check. I left a tip, but it was half what I usually would have left.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Gage Hotel? Share your experiences!