“Wild West”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Marathon
Anytown, USA
“Wild West”
Reviewed July 18, 2008

Radically over-priced as they fancy themselves as the only game in town. I'll say this much for the hotel: I've never witnessed a murder until I stayed at the Gage. Don't be fooled, there is still an outlaw element to South-West Texas.

• Liked — -
  • Disliked — The lot
  • Stayed April 2008
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Texas Hill Country
Reviewed June 7, 2008

But I wish I hadn't gone in June! A really hot June! It's probably perfect any other time of year but outside temp's were hovering around 102! The room was small but I liked the style. The bed was good but sleep came slow because the only source of airconditioning was thru the transom...yes, transom!...from the hallway. An open window let the cool night air in so it was eventually quite comfortble, and morning temp's were perfect. The hotel decor is divinely west Texas, the staff is friendly, the food was good...we had salmon and duck...yeah, salmon and duck!, the pool and grounds are tranquil and lovely, it's quiet...no TV or phone, every corner invites a photograph. And if you wander off the highway, there are some picturesque churches and more photo ops. The 3 or 4 blocks of downtown Marathon are charming, fun, friendly, and amazingly uptown. NOTE: I wanted to stay in the hotel proper; maybe I'll try a casita next time.

• Liked — Old west Texas decor.
  • Disliked — Air conditioning was inadequate for hot Texas summer.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed June 3, 2008

The Gage Hotel is a fabulous old hotel stuck in the middle of nowhere. The rooms are rather spartan with no television sets or phones, but if you are in Marathon, TX you are probably there to "disconnect" anyway. We spent the first leg or our honeymoon here in May and it was delightful. It was lovely to sit by their pool with a drink or hang out in their bar. One of the other reviewers mentioned that the hotel's restaurant was pricey---I would agree with that, however there are a few places to eat that are MUCH MORE REASONABLE within walking distance of the hotel. My husband and I ate at "Sylvia's Burnt Biscuit" for breakfast and also went and bought things at the French Market Grocer. We also ate at the restaurant at the Marathon Motel which is also quite good. So while the options are limited they are THERE. We look forward to returning it is a lovely place to go if you need to disconnect and do a whole lot of nothing!

• Liked — The Pool and the backdrop of West Texas for this hotel. Beautiful!
  • Disliked — No internet access in the rooms---we had to go down to the lobby for internet access.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oklahoma City
Reviewed May 30, 2008

My husband and I stayed there for 2 nights in May. We enjoyed the people, wonderful restaurant, spa services, pool and comfortable room. Even the cleaning staff was very friendly.

My concern, as with the previous poster, was the front desk staff. One girl in particular, (name withheld) needs some serious customer service training.

Hopefully, my letter to the managment will help others in the future. This is a great little spot to stay. Don't want to see their business decline due to poor staffing when you walk in the door.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed May 6, 2008

This place is really nice. It is built in the old style with rugged doors, spanish style and a nice pool.
What was negative? The receptionist was unmotivated, unfriendly and sort of "rough" if you know what I mean....
I spent an hour at the nice pool, was great.
The place of this town in this world is solitaire... desert around and at the next corner a french little supermarket with fresh lettuce... amazing contrasts (go there!)
Decoration and building are exceptional and well-kept. This hotel has an outragous price but a good value, I find.

• Liked — athmosphere
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
Reviewed May 2, 2008

I was very disappointed in your prices for accommodations and eating. There was no where else to eat and your restaurant had high prices. Our breakfast, since we order 2 eggs each on the side, to your weird breakfast menu, was $33! Breakfast at best is no more than $12 for 2 people at I Hop etc. We just chose not to eat at the place for evening meal. Of course, there was no other place open either. I think you take advantage of being the "only place in town." If I ever go to Big Bend again, it will be at the Chisos Lodge there. You are in excess of 80 miles away anyway.

• Liked — Atrium area was pretty
  • Disliked — No reasonable dining places
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ampjbb
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 1, 2008

We stayed at the Gage Hotel on the night prior to our visit to Big Bend National Park. It is a lovely old restored property with a great restaurant. Our room was in the original hotel and was on the second floor. We had 2 old iron beds with great mattresses and a view of the main street out the window. The floor was wood covered with a cow hide rug and made you feel part of the Old West. I was surprised to see 2 little packets of ear plugs in a basket, but soon realized we were right next to the train tracks and each train coming through let out a long whistle to announce its arrival, and there were a LOT of trains. Surprisingly, we were not bothered while we slept and only heard one train during the night. The bathroom was fine. There was a TV in a lounge on the main floor, lots of leather and an Old West feel to the whole property. There was a pool, but it was too cold to jump in. There are also newer pueblo type lodgings adjacent to the hotel. While talking to a few guests, we learned that they did not want to see the hotel get popular as it was unique and special to the area. The only problem we had was with a ceiling air vent that poured in cool air and was noisy. It could not be turned off and it should have been off because it was cool at night. However, there was a supplementary heater in the room and the blankets were wonderfully warm and heavy. A great stop.

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — Ceiling Air Vent
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Been to Gage Hotel? Share your experiences!