“Beautiful Oasis, Fabulous Food”
Review of Gage Hotel

Gage Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Marathon
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at the Gage. We could not have picked a better spot! We took our bloodhound along too - she loved it, and the hotel staff were so sweet to her. The food was incredible - I am a huge foodie and was so impressed! Loved everything we ate - so fresh and delicious. The chef even came out to meet some of the guests and ask about our dining experience (which was top notch). We had a casual dinner at the White Buffalo Bar too and drank the famous Marathon Mule cocktail (now my favorite), made by their super friendly, talented and sweet bartender!

The rooms were very comfortable and cozy - we stayed in a room looking out into the courtyard. It was so quiet and peaceful - such a pleasant stay. The Gage Gardens are gorgeous! You must take a long stroll around the property - they keep the grounds so lush and green and they grow their own vegetables too!!!

We will definitely be going back very soon! The trip to the Gage is worth every minute and mile it takes to get there. Nestled in the beautiful West Texas country, you will never forget your trip to the Gage! Thank you to the staff for making our visit to the Gage so memorable and special!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank ClaireTheCook

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Conveniently located near Big Bend National Park, I love the way this hotel is decorated with beautiful western artwork, antiques, and flowers. We stayed in the old part which gives you the feel of an old western movie set. The lobby and the room were very comfortable. The newer part also looked inviting with lovely gardens. Not every room in the older part has private bathrooms, so be careful when booking if that matters to you. There is a great looking swimming pool and a spa. Next time, I will plan to stay longer. The staff is most friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My $140 room cost me $200 and they wanted to charge me $100 more for a TV!! This is a bait and swith hotel located on the main route to the Big Bend and they get away with murder. When I told them I was handicapped they charged me an extra $60 to get a room on the first floor since they have no elevator. When I arrived I discovered there is no TV in the room. They said it was to keep things "authentic" to the 1800s period. Right. Like the authentic microwave and authentic frig in my room.

But for an additional $100 they would move me to a room with a TV. My brother was on CNN that day so I really wanted to see him, but not for $100!

Then there was the so-called "free WiFi." I went to the bar where I was assured there would be free WiFi. Not. The bartender said I might be able to pick up the WiFi next door (I couldn't). No WiFi in the room either.

There was nothing to do in the room. Couldn't even read because the light level was so dim you coluldn't see the pages of a book. In the morning there was no way to keep the light out of the room--the wooden window blinds did not close all the way--allowing passers-by to look in at night but allowing the early-morning light in.

This place pretends to be many things it is not. The management should concern itself more with honest communication and less with squeezing passing tourists for every nickel they can get. They know you won't be back so they can get away with this sort of thing. That's why I am warning you in advance.

If you want to pay $100 extra--on top of a $200 room bill-- for a TV, and stay in a bogus adobe room without shades, go to the Gage Hotel and pretend you are a cowboy for a night. If you'd rather pay $80 for an nice clean room that includes a TV, there are other options nearby.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank JONATHON L
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I loved this. My husband had booked this hotel as a wind down from our three day hiking trip to Big Bend National Park. What a perfect way to wind down. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. It was very comfortable and relaxing. The grounds were beautifully maintained with flowers and cactus, which fit the surrounding area. Our room was decorated with a western flair and the bed and bedding were very comfortable. We even had a fireplace and used it when a cold front blew in with temperatures below freezing at night. This hotel also offers a very, very nice restaurant. A few door down is also a restaurant with an old fashioned soda fountain. I shopped at the local bookstore and was very pleased with the overall atmosphere and shopping of this little three block main street. This place is a must see and stay for a couple of days for a very beautiful escape.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Over and over while planning a trip to the Big Bend I saw advice that the Gage Hotel was not to be missed, and indeed this upscale Western hotel in the very small and remote town of Marathon is a gem. The lobby and grounds and our room were all done in an elegant Western theme with a great deal of attention to detail. Our Los Portales room was luxurious and Rustic Western all at once.
We did have an unfortunate experience which made our stay less than perfect. The smoke alarms were set off when a faulty damper in the room of another guest caused smoke to build up in that room. The alarms woke us up and continued to sound for almost an hour. We only ever found out what was happening from other guests. The staff made no effort to let us know what was going on or if we were in danger. In retrospect, the front desk staff working that evening was much less helpful or friendly than the lady working when we checked out and another lady working at the front desk earlier in the week when we stopped in to make dinner reservations. Perhaps it was the B-team working on Sunday night. In any case, the staff working that night didn't provide the level of care or service I expected. Still, I would definitely recommend the Gage Hotel if you visit the Big Bend.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Unfortunately, my brother made the reservations and hadn't read trip advisor. So he booked on line thru the national park reservations system and got charged a reservation fee (I believe it may have been 10 %) Who ever heard of being charged for booking on line instead of calling?? And his reservation said "adjoining rooms with a shared bath." So he thought we had two rooms with a bathroom between the two rooms. Incorrect - we stayed next to the lobby, in the historic part of the hotel, which he thought would be cool. Our rooms were not right next to each other and the "shared bath" was a communal bathroom down the hall, shared by all of the rooms in the hall. When we questioned the front desk, they said they did not even have adjoining rooms with a shared bathroom in this part of the hotel. Not sure why they would say that - my brother was in room #5 and the door was open to the shared bathroom with room #6. They later said that was a mistake and the door should have been locked because room #6 comes with a private bath. We were in room #3. The room itself was ok, but you heard every noise around - if anyone on that floor or above moved, you heard it. I did not think the bed was comfortable and did not have a good nights sleep. Grounds were immaculate, pool looked nice, and the rooms in the newer part, which come with their own bathrooms, looked very nice - wish we had stayed there. Front desk was not overly friendly. In the morning, they did have coffee, muffins, and fruit in the lobby.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jkren
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed our first night in the Gage's Captain Shepard House (listed on TripAdvisor as a separate property, but I think it's wholly owned by the Gage now). By the way, the Shepard is not one of the properties listed on the "Accommodations" portion of the website. It's just a block away from the main hotel, and in this tiny 10-square-block town that's nothing. At first glance it's beautiful. The grounds have been laid out incredibly well. There's fake green turf and lush native-looking plantings, so kudos to them for creating something that looks great and conserves water.

The inside is equally visually appealing. The furnishings and linens are good quality. There are animal horns everywhere, lest you forget you're in Texas. The bathroom was nicely done with a big walk in shower. The bed was comfortable.

Here's my one complaint. All this money and effort was spent on nice furniture and linens and nice tile work on the wall. Yet my room door is probably as old as the building itself (I'm guessing late nineteenth century) and I could hear every whisper and footstep from the hall though the door's gaps and cracks. And there was no individual climate control for the room (I'm assuming there was a thermostat somewhere for the floor or the building. I guess I would have just appreciated the check-in person making mention of the fact, so I didn't spend 20 minutes looking around the room for a thermostat before realizing that the temperature was out of my control.) It would have been nice if they had scaled back on the decor a bit and put some of that money into beefing up the door, fixing the floorboards in the room above us (I think someone up there had a bladder problem because they were up at least 5 times in the night), and coming up with some way to control the climate in the room.

We were going to move the 2nd night to a room in their Los Portales section. This wasn't because of the quality of the room the 1st night, but rather because of our own booking screw up. However we ended up leaving a day early and going home. I'm only mentioning this because it's indicative of the general vibe of the town; it's slow paced and you might get bored easily if you're sticking around during the day and not going into Big Bend, and I don't think the hotel offers enough as a "resort" to keep you entertained.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Jarred W

Been to Gage Hotel? Share your experiences!