“Your retreat in the middle of nowhere”
Review of Gage Hotel

Gage Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Marathon
London, United Kingdom
“Your retreat in the middle of nowhere”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We've been going to the Gage for several years to enjoy Christmas. It's hard not to like: the town of Marathon has only 500 people and is in the middle of nowhere, bordering Big Bend National Park. The Gage has a fun bar and an excellent restaurant. Accommodations are very nice but not consistent. I'd recommend one of the rooms next to the patios of the hotel. We've tried the various houses, which are nice but always seem to be missing something. Most recently, we stayed at a new house that's part of the hotel and has 5 separate rooms. BE CAREFUL: the bathrooms for some of the rooms in that house were separate from the actual rooms, requiring guests to walk through the hallway past other guests to their bathroom--not good enough for the price that's charged. The staff are also a bit unwelcoming and treat guests like they're lucky to get a room. Still, the setting is hard to beat; we'll be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Meyreuil, France
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I enjoyed my two nights in the Gage Hotel, Marathon, West Texas. Once a ranch house, the current owner has turned it into a luxurious hotel, with extensions across the highway that houses large ranch house rooms and suites. There isn't much to the town of Marathon itself (population 500+), but it is a gateway to the Big Bend National Park area of West Texas, a much under appreciated area of the USA.
Our room was very comfortable, beds, bath, and quiet, except for the thrilling sound of the night train as it sped through the little city (infrequent). The restaurant is superb. Excellent food, modern cuisine, worth the trip alone for this. In the middle of one dinner there was a tremendous rain storm, and the lights went out for a few minutes of candlelight. Very romantic! The waitress said it was the first rain in two years!
There is a lovely pool, spa services, a workout center in the Ritchey Building across the railroad tracks, a lovely garden, and good walks nearby. I would recommend staying for a long weekend to relax, enjoy the food and the spa. There is much to see nearby.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I have been visiting the Gage off and on for the past 30 years, and we've touted it to many others. I always loved staying in the old "cowboy" section best, with bathroom down the hall. Not only did it suit our budget, but it was such a unique experience. But this past December, our stay there was less pleasant. I just think this wing of the hotel needs a thorough cleaning. There was a rusty, musty pipe smell in the ladies' restroom that never went away throughout our stay.

We also spent one night in a casita, and it was awesome. What luxury. Unfortunately, prices over the holidays doubled on several nights, so we couldn't afford to stay there exclusively.

I do love the Gage and appreciate the devotion and hard work it takes to run such a historic place. As for the staff, we found them to be both cordial and helpful. And on a cold winter night, there's absolutely no better place to be than in the Gage's lobby, curled up with a book in front of that lovely fireplace.

2 Thank Andrea B
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The rooms are great in the old and new section. The front porch rockers are the place to hang out and watch the sunset. For drinks thirty kit the White Buffalo courtyard. The pool in the new section, Los Portales is the place for a late night swim.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank elzabell
Castroville, Texas
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and our son and his fiance spent New Year's Eve here. It was awesome.My husband and I had stayed here before, but not the kids.
We stayed in the Loas Portales rooms. The dinner was delicious, with the wine pairing. Rooms of course were beautiful . Staff and service great . Recommend to anyone for a relaxing and quiet stay.

Room Tip: We like the Los Portales rooms
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 2, 2013

First, the negative reviews on here need some clarification. The Gage has several different types of properties. If I stayed in the original hotel, which I did the first time around, I wasn't too happy. The room was way too small, it was extremely hot, it was loud, etc.

The rooms in the courtyard are amazing and make my experience happy. So be sure to stay there.

I finally had a chance to recently stay at the Cibolo Creek Ranch. That was the last place in the hipster world of west Texas where I hadn't had a chance to stay. Cibolo was certainly very nice. But it made me realize what a great deal the Gage is for me. I love the food at the Gage. I can eat it whenever I want - not designated settings with other guests. Marathon has a great little breakfast place - Johnny B's, etc. Nothing going on in Marathon, but that's what makes it great. No McDonald's, no DQ, this is a cool town. Can't find something like this in Texas. The mountains in the background are awesome. Being 45 minutes away from Panther Junction in Big Bend is amazing.

The Gage's grounds are beyond incredible. The swimming pool in the summer is the best in Texas. Can't think of anywhere else in Texas where I can go swimming and see mountains in the background.

I love Marathon and Gage. So tired of Marfa and all that. Give me a relaxing trip to the Gage and hanging out around Marathon and Big Bend.

I do wish they have TVs. I don't normally watch TV. But when you're on a vacation, it's nice to be able to turn it on sometimes.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the old hotel - it isn't fun. Stay in the new courtyard - it's amazing...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SkipJones
Marin, CA
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I hate writing bad reviews, because I’m always a little skeptical that maybe it was an off night or the clerk wasn’t feeling good…..or something along those lines. The Gage Hotel in Marathon is a really beautiful old hotel and restaurant…..on the surface. So, I'm giving it 3 stars for the aesthetics! But, the service at the hotel was terrible and the food at the restaurant was just OK. The receptionist at the hotel was bored and completely unempathetic. We had made reservations and ended up in a room with a fireplace. We paid an exorbitant price for a room two blocks from the old hotel in a modern, yet tastefully decorated apartment. No internet. What really put the icing on the cake was when we asked for newspaper and matches to light the fire and were told the hotel doesn’t provide that material and we should just enjoy the fire in the main lobby of the hotel!

My advice is bring your wallet, expect to bleed money and don’t look for any additional service!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Cirriped
Gage Hotel J, Manager at Gage Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dearest Valued Guest,

It is extremely disturbing and upsetting to hear that you received this type of customer service from our clerks. I am not sure if the location of the room was not made clear during the reservation process. I believe that you are speaking about the newly renovated Captain Shepards House which is our newest addition to the hotel.
I have been with the hotel for several years and it has never been our practice to be so un-empathetic or dismissive to a guest’s request. I take this very personally and will address it immediately. We have always strive to make everyone’s stay as “Legendary” as the Hotel. In your case we failed miserably and for this I apologize. The clerk was terribly mis-informative; we do provide matches and fire starters to our guest.
Please contact me at 432.386.4205 ext 106 or judy@gagehotel.com so that we may discus how I can make correct this for you. As well as to find out when this issue may have occurred in order to try and pin point our problems.

Thank you in advance for giving us the opportunity to correct this awful experience.

Been to Gage Hotel? Share your experiences!