“Easily best choice in west Texas”
Review of Gage Hotel

Gage Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Marathon
Austin, Texas
“Easily best choice in west Texas”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

First, the negative reviews on here need some clarification. The Gage has several different types of properties. If I stayed in the original hotel, which I did the first time around, I wasn't too happy. The room was way too small, it was extremely hot, it was loud, etc.

The rooms in the courtyard are amazing and make my experience happy. So be sure to stay there.

I finally had a chance to recently stay at the Cibolo Creek Ranch. That was the last place in the hipster world of west Texas where I hadn't had a chance to stay. Cibolo was certainly very nice. But it made me realize what a great deal the Gage is for me. I love the food at the Gage. I can eat it whenever I want - not designated settings with other guests. Marathon has a great little breakfast place - Johnny B's, etc. Nothing going on in Marathon, but that's what makes it great. No McDonald's, no DQ, this is a cool town. Can't find something like this in Texas. The mountains in the background are awesome. Being 45 minutes away from Panther Junction in Big Bend is amazing.

The Gage's grounds are beyond incredible. The swimming pool in the summer is the best in Texas. Can't think of anywhere else in Texas where I can go swimming and see mountains in the background.

I love Marathon and Gage. So tired of Marfa and all that. Give me a relaxing trip to the Gage and hanging out around Marathon and Big Bend.

I do wish they have TVs. I don't normally watch TV. But when you're on a vacation, it's nice to be able to turn it on sometimes.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the old hotel - it isn't fun. Stay in the new courtyard - it's amazing...
1 Thank SkipJones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Marin, CA
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I hate writing bad reviews, because I’m always a little skeptical that maybe it was an off night or the clerk wasn’t feeling good…..or something along those lines. The Gage Hotel in Marathon is a really beautiful old hotel and restaurant…..on the surface. So, I'm giving it 3 stars for the aesthetics! But, the service at the hotel was terrible and the food at the restaurant was just OK. The receptionist at the hotel was bored and completely unempathetic. We had made reservations and ended up in a room with a fireplace. We paid an exorbitant price for a room two blocks from the old hotel in a modern, yet tastefully decorated apartment. No internet. What really put the icing on the cake was when we asked for newspaper and matches to light the fire and were told the hotel doesn’t provide that material and we should just enjoy the fire in the main lobby of the hotel!

My advice is bring your wallet, expect to bleed money and don’t look for any additional service!

4 Thank Cirriped
Gage Hotel J, Manager at Gage Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dearest Valued Guest,

It is extremely disturbing and upsetting to hear that you received this type of customer service from our clerks. I am not sure if the location of the room was not made clear during the reservation process. I believe that you are speaking about the newly renovated Captain Shepards House which is our newest addition to the hotel.
I have been with the hotel for several years and it has never been our practice to be so un-empathetic or dismissive to a guest’s request. I take this very personally and will address it immediately. We have always strive to make everyone’s stay as “Legendary” as the Hotel. In your case we failed miserably and for this I apologize. The clerk was terribly mis-informative; we do provide matches and fire starters to our guest.
Please contact me at 432.386.4205 ext 106 or judy@gagehotel.com so that we may discus how I can make correct this for you. As well as to find out when this issue may have occurred in order to try and pin point our problems.

Thank you in advance for giving us the opportunity to correct this awful experience.
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed overnight in the Gage after a week in the Trans-Pecos, after hearing about the historic hotel for years. We stayed in one of the casitas, having been advised to do so by friends, and found it comfortable with an excellent facilities except for the lack of TV. Staff was friendly, and there were plenty of places to sit a read or just enjoy the scenery. Drinks at the White Buffalo Bar and dinner at 12 Gage also were excellent.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the casitas out back
2 Thank David P
Dallas, TX
Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at Gage periodically over past 12 years, beginning with our return to Texas from our honeymoon. We always stay in the new wing (Mexican cowboy theme adobe buildings with lovely courtyard); some rooms have fireplaces - all are very nicely appointed with modern baths and comfortable beds with high quality bedding. The pool/pool area is especially nice during warm weather

Our recent stay was on weekend after Thanksgiving day. As usual, we were warmly received; room was excellent, nearby Gage Gardens provided fun walk while awaiting checkin.

The 12-Gage restaurant serves excellent food with efficient, courteous staff (see separate review).

My complaint is that at $242/night the Gage is pricing itself out of our consideration, especially considering that Gage no longer serves complimentary continental breakfast; neither fireplace in the common areas were working; the TV room accomodates two persons on a loveseat (room has been filled with bar and cabinets with items for sale).

Room Tip: back courtyard rooms are quieter (train runs in front of hotel)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank stanfxy
Midland
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The Gage is a charming, rustic hotel. The grounds are beautiful! It would make for a great backdrop for pictures. It is a quite and very peaceful. However, the rooms are very western, there are no tv's, only has a walk-in shower and you can hear the neighbors and people in the courtyard. Also, we were told the pool was heated, on an 85 degree day, the water felt like it was around 60 degrees. We made reservations at the restaurant both nights of our stay, the food was above average, but not worth the price, approximately $30-40 a plate. The servers all looked like there were in high school and it took a long time to get anything, even a water refill. The tables weren't even full. I suppose they are able to charge such high prices for the rooms and food since it is in the middle of nowhere. We were able to spend an afternoon hiking at Big Bend National Park, which was quite beautiful. Overall, I think that the Gage is not worth the price. Our bill ended up being $815 for 2 nights in a king room with a fireplace and 2 dinners.

Room Tip: I would suggest choosing a room furthest away from the railroad tracks.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2012

As a family we've spent Thanksgiving here twice for a week each time. Let me first say that it is always a wonderful stay and we will be back again.

Coming off of my second visit I only have one consistent complaint that keeps me from giving this place 5 stars. Front desk staff are out to lunch. I know it must be hard to find quality competent hospitality people in the middle of nowhere, but I hope they try harder in the future for the hotel's reputation's sake. Make sure to check multiple times to double and triple check your reservations for dinners, spa visits, rooms, etc. One person will give you the okay and then the other may not find it in the system, then the other will find it but for the wrong time and place. If you're uninitiated to this circus you'll probably be pretty frustrated. If you're thorough though, it shouldn't destroy the trip.

Quick examples: Part of our party needed a wheelchair accessible room and upon arrival they weren't sure about what we were talking about until checking with other staff. The handicap room's front porch light was burnt out and for how dark it gets out there, it was problematic. Also, that shows that the grounds don't get daily facility checks. The lobby has a big fireplace and no fire in it. When I asked why they didn't have it lit the front desk attendant said she didn't know how to turn it on... Our Thanksgiving dinner reservations both years were mixed up. When we showed up to the dinner they didn't know we had a person in a wheelchair with us even though we made a big point of putting that in the reservation. If it was located in a city with other hotels on the same level close by, this kind of stuff would really hurt their attendance.

I love the hotel, I love Marathon and it's location close to so many wonderful West Texas sights. I'm not saying don't stay here by any means, I'm just saying be prepared to be thorough when working with the staff.

(Side note: Housekeeping was phenomenal and really friendly)

Room Tip: Get the newer rooms out of the main historic building.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Texharp
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I can now mark the Gage Hotel off my bucket list! When we decided to take a West Texas / Big Bend vacation, I was so excited that I'd get to finally get to stay @ the Gage. When we pulled up to the front of the hotel, I was so pleasantly surprised....EXACTLY what I pictured! As we opened the gorgeous heavy wrought iron doors into the lobby, I had to make a concentrated effort to contain myself & keep my mouth closed. All the while, my heart was pounding with excitement! The woman @ the front desk was very friendly & willing to let us take a look @ the rooms in the main hotel. The decor is Vintage Wild West Cowboy / Vaquero. Lots of antiques.....I Love it ! We were so excited to have booked the Owners Suite in the Los Portales part of the Hotel. We were handed THE BIG KEY....YAY! (Oh, by the way, it's $40.00 if ya loose / misplace it.) As we entered the courtyard, it was just beautiful! So many lovely plants filled butterflies & huge bumble bees....a wonderful water feature right outside our door.....just gorgeous! We opened the door to the most amazing suite! The Adobe walls were washed in a pale blue.... lots of historic atrifacts on the walls and placed all around the bedroom and sitting room with a kiva-style fireplace and bar area. Outside the sitttng room there is a small patio....we didn't ever use it....the seating outside our room in the courtyard was perfect. The old Vintage Spanish Style entry door and bathroom door are very unique. The details, the wood ceilings, the decor, the artwork, the rustic tile in the large shower, the gorgeous immaculate courtyard , the peace & quiet & the very comfortable king bed made for an unforgettable stay.

I will say this, just beware....there are Trains that pass by right in front of the hotel....we actually liked that....it adds to the character of the place....but, we were also glad our room was on the back side of the courtyard....rooms 33-39 are the best! There are no TV's in the rooms...there's one in the bar area of the lobby . We didn't miss it a bit. We enjoed dining @ the 12 Gage Restaurant each night, as well as the White Buffalo Bar before we walked back to our room each night. For Breakfast, I'd recommend The Burnt Biscuit....YUMMMOLA! Nothing Burned there!

The Gage Hotel will always have a piece of my little Texas Heart. We hope to visit often & look forward to our next visit with anxious anticipation. Thank you, Mr. J.P. Bryan, for allowing us to enjoy your beautiful Gage Hotel!

Room Tip: Los Portales is the best part of the hotel. It's surrounded by a beautiful peaceful courtyard...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Gage Hotel? Share your experiences!