“Nice but problems”
Review of Marathon Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marathon
Marathon Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Marathon
Yamhill, OR
“Nice but problems”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

The rooms and location are all great, for the most part. The outdoor fireplace and seating area is especially beautiful.

I personally enjoy the sound of trains passing at speed just across the highway. Earplugs are provided for those who don't. One thing that makes it a little more intense, for good or ill, is that eastbound trains are required to sound their whistle before reaching the Marathon road crossing east of the motel, which means that the whistle is blown right when they are even with the motel. With westbound trains the whistle is sounded at the far end of town and all you hear is the engine and rumbling track noise. I loved it.

The doors of our room and the bathroom both didn't close very tightly and the latches didn't work right. However I was able to lock the outside door with deadbolt. I could keep the bathroom door from opening by sort of jamming the latch mechanism.

We turned down the heat when we went to bed and slept nicely under the cozy covers. When I arose the room temperature was probably around 50 and the outdoor temp was in the low 20s. The doors are a little drafty. When I turned up the heat the gas furnace made a little "boom" and stopped functioning. I phoned the office but got no answer. We hurried our packing and stopped at the office as we were leaving, and told the attendant of the situation. She thanked me for the information.

I went for a walk down the highway before going to bed, and the west Texas stars were GLORIOUS!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Everjoyful

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Lake Elsinore, California
Reviewed March 20, 2013

After researching RV parks in the area, we decided to stop here on our way to Big Bend National Park. This is a quaint, refurbished establishment built in the 1940s. The grounds were nicely landscaped and the RV park has full hook-ups and cable TV.

Being in the middle of West Texas, this area is prone to wind and we, unfortunately, had a bad storm the night we camped here. The site we had was situated so that the wind hit us broadside, so it made for a miserable night of being bounced around. They do have sites that appear to be a bit more sheltered located toward the rear of the property.

Otherwise, this is a very quiet location with great star-gazing potential, conveniently located and in the closest proximity to Big Bend National Park.

I would recommend this property as a stop over spot.

Room Tip: Choose a site with some shelter if staying during windy winter months.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the motel very much. Loved the fireplace and courtyard. There's a train. Deal with it. It's not the Ritz, it's West Texas! The rooms aren't fancy, but they're clean. We would definitely return! Great value! We enjoyed the stars at night.

Room Tip: They don't have a restaurant Or pool.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Katy, Texas
Reviewed January 7, 2013

LOVED it!!! We had the best sleep ever in the most luxurious beds! We were heading to Big Bend National Park and the plan was to leave before 6 am. We ended up leaving at 9 am because the beds were too comfy!! I wished we had had the time to use the courtyard with the fireplace!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Midland, Texas
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I purchased a gift certificate that a benefactor had donated for a local charity fundraiser. I paid over $300 for a two nite stay at this place. The write up at the auction showed the picturesque courtyard. Upon arriving we went to our room and it was freezing cold and the heater did not work. BEFORE LUNCH we stopped by the office and told the clerk about the problem. No problem, she would get someone to light the pilot on the wall heater. We return at 8:45 PM to a FREEZING COLD ROOM in the 40's! We could tell the heater was on because it was humming but the thermostat was turned down all the way. We turned up the thermostat and waited 10-15 minutes and there was no change in temp and no evidence of heat coming from the wall furnace. Being concerned about getting CO poisoning we turned the thermostat back down and donned extra thick socks and our clothes to go to bed.
The next morning I had a missed call on my cell phone from a strange number around 9:30 PM the prior evening. It was the manager of the hotel stating that we could come and get a key and move to the room next door. REALLY? WHY DIDN'T YOU LEAVE US A NOTE IN THE ROOM OR ON THE DOOR OR COME AND KNOCK ON THE DOOR WHEN YOU DIDN'T REACH US ON THE CELL PHONE? You had about 10 hours to do all of this before we got back. It didn't look like you had a sell out so you couldn't have been that busy! I had a horrible earache and I couldn't take a shower because I didn't want to get sicker from stepping out of the shower into a 40 something degree room. Needless to say, I forked out over $300+ for a horrible experience and cut my trip short a day to go back home sick COMPLIMENTS OF THE MARATHON MOTEL!

The good end to this story is that I supported a good cause with my $300+ donation, but I will let the charity and the benefactor know not to purchase anymore gift certificates from this establishment.

Room Tip: Go to the Gage Hotel or KEEP GOING TOWARD ALPINE...you will be glad you did!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank PBFoodTraveler
Daniel S, Owner at Marathon Motel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
I would initially like to extend an apology for your uncomfortable stay. Guest comfort is always paramount. In the 12 years I've been operating the Marathon Motel, which by the way has been in continuous operation for 70 years, this has been by far above and beyond the worst experience. Things do happen as with any accommodation and we do try to make every effort to remedy them in a timely manner.
After carefully reviewing your description as well as that of the front desk staff, I concluded, every attempt was made to repair the heater. However, a part was required which had to be ordered. Therefore we made arrangements to move you to the room next door. Attempts were made to contact you by cell, however, I will admit, we generally make an attempt to leave a note on the door, and for failing to do so, I do apologize. It is often times quite difficult for a front desk person to step away due to phone calls, check-ins and other requests, they can get side tracked etc. However, even with a note, it would have required you to come to the office.
Now, you stated in your review you arrived back at your room around 8:45PM to a freezing cold room. Tried the heater which clearly was not working, so with the concern of CO poisoning, turned it off, donned extra thick socks and clothes and went to bed. That was a choice made by you. There was a message on your cell, at 9:30 PM which was the last attempt to contact you, the front desk is open until 10:00PM, our phone numbers are listed on your receipt, in addition there are after hours/emergency numbers on the door. When asked the next day by the front desk person why you didn't just come to the office, you stated, "You Didn't Think it was Open". Had you just stopped in as you drove past the office, or upon realizing there was a situation, returned to the office, you would have been handed the key to your replacement room.
Due to the uniqueness of this situation, I have had a meeting with the staff as to how we can be more proactive in preventing something like this in the future.
Again, on behalf of the motel and myself, I do apologize for the discomfort and inconvenience you may have experienced on our part. I would suggest however, in the future, if you find yourself in a similar or unacceptable situation, it is helpful to notify someone before things disintegrate in order to get the situation remedied.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We were headed for Big Bend with no reserved place to stay for the night. We figured we would "wing it," and find something along the way. I am really glad we did! We "happened" upon the Marathon Motel and thought we'd take a chance. What a beautiful experience!
We stayed in Cabin # 4. It is "older," furbished, nothing modern, but clean, workable, quaint and necessary for the atmosphere.
The beds were very, very comfortable (the best we have ever slept in).
The Courtyard is surrounded by an adobe wall with a fountain and green grass with astounding views of the surrounding mountains. There is a large outdoor fireplace and room for many people, but it was just Johanna & I and a Biker from Utah. It was a really relaxing, very enjoyable evening as we watched the sun set behind the majestic mountains.
We were awoken once around 3:30 by a passing train, but fell quickly back to sleep.
We missed not having a refrigerator and microwave in the room, but again not really necessary.

Room Tip: Our Cabin (# 4) was very nice. I imagine they are all pretty much the same.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Phillywill1863
Clifton, Tx
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We loved our room and its location. A little high on the price for type of room

The taxes were outrageous. We were charged over 22% taxes for this small rural town (over 14%) & state (8.25%) ! We will be contesting the rates charged. Nowhere was this info communicated to us before or during check in.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank jrdtsta
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Davis Mountains Inn
#6 of 9 in Fort Davis
Gage Hotel
Gage Hotel
#1 of 2 in Marathon

Been to Marathon Motel? Share your experiences!