“Wonderful place, great courtyard”
Review of Marathon Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marathon
Marathon Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Marathon
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Well, after checking rates at the Gage Hotel "just for fun", we went down the road to the "Marathon Motel".......and we are so glad we did!
What a beautiful property and such friendly hosts the staff and owner were.
If you are looking for a reasonable, clean, classic place to stay, this is it.
The rooms are set up mostly in cabin duplex style around a wonderful, landscaped courtyard area. Sure, this is an older place, but the updates and improvements made to the rooms are wonderful.
Now......people complain about the train.....well, Marathon is along the railroad tracks, just like most all of the other towns in west Texas. Deal with it people.....it's just a train.....Oh, and by the way, the Gage hotel is along the tracks too, so don't think for a minute that paying more is gonna make the train noise "go away". Honestly, we didn't even notice it until the next morning when the train came through town about 730am....use the provided earplugs if you want to.
Anyway, we will definitely stay here again next time we are in Marathon, on the way to Big Bend.....

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is facing the courtyard and mountains.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sj-jj-houston

Reviewed July 6, 2011

I'm generally not one to write effusive reviews about the places I've stayed, but the Marathon Motel genuinely deserves praise. We (a group of four) stayed in "the apartment," which is a second story unit in a building set apart from the others. The are large windows looking nearly 360 degrees over the desert, with the mountains to the west and the wide open Big Bend country to the south. The motel grounds are a highly appealing, with more than a hint of West Texas charm: there's a watering hole for local wildlife (we saw several local birds and bats eating mosquitoes at dusk), and a dirt road leading north off the property which is great for wildlife viewing (and, at night, stargazing. You can definitely see galaxies out here!!!). The women at the front desk were all very courteous and helpful, even with our 9 PM arrival. The room itself was charming--not fancy by any means, but very appealing nonetheless (clean and comfortable). My traveling companions initially thought I was a bit crazy for booking a room at a "Motel and RV Park" in a tiny Texas town, but in retrospect we all agreed that it was one of the highlights of our trip. Highly, highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2011

Had a nice stay before going to Big Bend. Nice common area/green space is in the middle of the motel complex which made for a good place to roast marshmallows. Good service. Beware trains if you are a light sleeper. Brought a noise machine which made sleeping much easier.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed January 28, 2011

The Marathon Motel itself is alright. It is recently renovated per the sign outside the office. The room I got was very basic and on the small side but clean and functional. The clerks were friendly enough as well. The other choice in town was the "upscale" Gage Hotel next door and I didn't want to pay that much more money.

The stay would overall had been excellent if it wasn't for its proximity to the train track and the lack of adequate soundproofing, the sound of trains kept me awake in the early evening until I finally fell asleep. The drive to Big Bend is also quite a bit, at almost 1.5 hours. If you have no other choice, this motel will have to do, as they do offer pretty reasonable nightly rates. But next time, I might try staying Terlingua/Study Butte for its proximity to Big Bend and the several river outfitters there, or even at the park at Chisos Lodge.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 9, 2011

This place left a bad taste in my mouth.

If you're staying at the motel (rather than the RV park), you'll likely be in a duplex of two rooms. The decor is ... 70s rustic? Dark brown almost shag carpet with plenty of wood paneling. The room itself was larger than I expected. The bathroom is small. I'm 5'6", and the shower head was low enough that the water hit at about shoulder height. Compounding that issue is that the water only trickles out and occasionally will turn scalding hot on you for no apparent reason. Showering is an adventure. Towels are thin but get the job done.

I would have given this place 3 stars but for the attitude from the staff. Check out is at 11 a.m. We overslept and checked out at 12:15. In the meantime, a staff member came by to clean the room. I told her we were getting packed up so we could get out, and she made sarcastic remarks about the fact that we weren't out yet. Seriously? Stuff happens, and check-in isn't until 3 p.m. The attitude wasn't necessary. I stripped the bed myself and gave her what towels we had to placate her. Then, as we were leaving, we realized we had a bottle in the car we hadn't thrown out in the room. We stopped by the office to ask if we could throw it out there. They said no and that they didn't have a trash can. Yeah, right. So obnoxious.

For $90/night, I'm pretty sure I can do better and not have to deal with the attitude, even if it means staying in Fort Davis or Alpine instead of Marathon.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kp_1981
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Stayed at one of their rent houses in town. The less than friendly staff at the motel failed to take the time to turn on the air conditioner in the house prior to our scheduled arrival. Unpleasant stuffy heat greeted us upon entry to the house at 10:00 p.m. and took some time with the window units running full bore to dissipate.

Add the scorpion and vinegaroon and my daughter, who has was travelling her one year old son, was ready to come home.

Overpriced for basically just a run-down, Marathon, adobe house.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Ollantaytanbo
Reviewed July 22, 2010

We met family members in Marathon for a weekend. The Marathon Motel was the perfect place for us. The cabins are simple but clean. We never noticed the train when we were in our rooms. The best part was the beautiful courtyard. We spent hours and hours there enjoying the view, playing dominoes and cards. Our granddaughter (19 months) was able to run around in the walled courtyard while we relaxed and visited. We would definitely stay at the Marathon Motel again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family