“Very rude server”

First Ton's Mongolian Grill
Ranked #70 of 164 Restaurants in Mansfield
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Me and my kids usually eat at tons a couple times a month. The waitress usually are not friendly and that's fine but my last experience I'll never go back! Tons is a buffet and usually once they cook your food it becomes a lot bigger. My kids and I ate about half our plates and the waitress comes and says " you don't need to bring your kids back here if they are going to waste food".... After that we have not been back and I do not recommend anyone going due to the costumer service they give....

Reviewed February 7, 2014

I absolutely love Ton's!! I've been there quite a few times since my first visit in 2005, and I've never been disappointed. The ingredients are always fresh, the cooks do a great job, and the food is SO delicious. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes Asian food... and even if you don't, try Ton's anyway - I think you'll change your mind!

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We don’t live near Tons and are not able to frequent here as much as we would like but make a point of going there for lunch or an early dinner if we are passing thru or visiting local friends. We like Asian stir fry and like the “make it yourself” Mongolian style that Tons is. If you don’t want to make it yourself or the idea of everyone going thru the line and picking from a buffet – stay away from here. Kids eat their meal the same way. They don’t have burgers nor chicken nuggets. For us, it’s fun and a great value. It’s also very healthy in most cases too.

With our kids (who like stir fry) they love to make their own dish and then end the meal with the (included) vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup. Kids meals are cheap at Tons. In fact, for what it is and what you get, all the prices are very reasonable.

The quality of food is on par with most other mom and pop Mongolian places we have been to in the USA. Most meats are typically sliced and frozen. Some aren’t frozen (sausage). They have shrimps and some other seafood items. The veggies are a mix of both fresh (cabbage, broccoli, sprouts, etc) and canned (pineapple, water chestnuts, etc). They have about a dozen different sauces and oils ranging from things like lemon water, and sesame oil all the way up to some crazy hot stuff (which I really like and add one scoop per bowl). It’s the typical mom and pop Mongolian oils and sauces. Nothing exotic or fancy. Just the basic good stuff.

A common question people ask me is how it compares to Genghis Grill. I like GG but I don’t usually take my kids there unless it’s a free kids bowl day. Genghis is more expensive but it also has fresh meats and some interesting sauces and spices. GG limits your flavor sauces to what will fit in a separate small bowl. I like to have enough oil in my bowl that everything cooks in the flavor. There isn’t enough of that at GG to fully cook but they still do a very good job. There is a GG near Tons in Mansfield but I haven’t been there. For my money, I prefer the value and basics of Tons mom and pop Mongolian over the higher priced and higher end GG.

Here are my recommendations:
• The hot and sour soup is good but I pass it up in favor of the main meal
• If you like a particular flavor, get two bowls and make a single plate of the same flavor
• If you like to experiment, use a single bowl and keep going back as many times as you like
• Keep an eye on the kids with the sauces and oils, my need help else they spill
• Use at least 6 spoons of sauce / oil per bowl – less than that they will add water and dilute the flavor
• If you like the spicy oil, fully stir the pot before scooping to get all the spices
• I recommend telling the cook to use just a little water (for steam) else some cooks use water even if it’s not needed – add enough oil to cook your meal
• They have tortillas so just ask – they are included but not advertised
• Fried rice or white rice is included – I use it to mix into my stuff and soak up the extra flavor
• I like to add sesame seeds and the pineapples (from the veggie station) after cooking
• Chopsticks are available if you ask
• Plum sauce is available if you ask (i.e. moo shu pork style wrapped in a tortilla)

One other thing… The management will accommodate large parties easily without reservations. They have a space in the back where they hold open for large groups. We didn’t plan it but ended up meeting 4 other families at Tons for dinner one night. It was early, around 5pm, but they welcomed us and arranged a space for the 23 of us to eat. The staff is great and always friendly to us when we come in albeit infrequently. We have been going to this Tons for years now and will be going there when we are in the Mansfield area in the future. If you like Mongolian and would prefer a mom and pop offering versus a chain, you can’t beat the value at Tons.

1  Thank JuniorBirdman
Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

This is our favorite for Mongolian! Food cooked right in front of you all you can eat and everything is fresh. Great place for date night on a budget!

1  Thank Wyomingdan
Reviewed July 23, 2012

It's kind of fun to pick your ingredients and watch the bored cooks fry them. It does produce a product that every item taste alike. Not the friendly feel good type of place. The rice and frozen desert are a joke.