“An outstanding combination of great meals, fast friendly service, in a unique setting.”

Family Tree Recipe's
Ranked #4 of 107 Restaurants in Magnolia
Cuisines: American
Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

A meal at Family Tree Recipes is worth the trip to Magnolia from anywhere in South East Texas. Only open Mon. - Fri. 7am- 2pm. Come in hungry, and leave happy and full. The daily special is posted daily on Facebook. Your mouth will water just reading it. Good country family cooking. I love the Penne Pasta bake that comes with a Cinderella salad and Butterfinger Cake. The pulled pork sandwich on Friday melts in your mouth. It comes with Brent's beans which are the best baked beans anywhere. If you are a burger fan, you will find exceptional offering here. Breakfast? Also great. I really love the Frog on a Log. Along with the food you will find fast, friendly service is a welcoming atmosphere decorated with a collection of vintage odds and ends from the last century. So pull off the FM 1488 where you see the Treehouse with a scarecrow waving, take a look at the Hillbilly Hilton art car (truck) and watch out for turtles as you cross their home on the pathway from the parking lot, and treat yourself to a great meal. CAUTION: One visit won't be enough!

1  Thank IrieTraveller

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Visited the Family Tree Recipes restaurant today, wow, it was great! First off, it was not what I thought! From the street you view an old truck-camper type vehicle, next to a tree house that resembles an old fort and a parking lot, so I thought it was a foodie truck, it is not! What it is, a great lodge style restaurant nestled in the woods, a short walk from the parking up a shaded path. At first glance it seems you are walking into someone’s yard, gardens and turtle ponds nearby as you walk the path, climb the steps and voila, you are there! Opening the door, you are greeted with wonderful smells of lunch (or breakfast) and a friendly face offers you a seat. Very cozy place with wildlife hanging from the walls, you might be on someone’s cabin and are treated this way by the waitstaff, which was also an owner. We were explained today’s specials but I had my tastes set on a burger so decided to try one and was not disappointed. Being gluton free I asked about putting one on a salad instead of a bun (which are house baked) and was steered to the Wagon Wheel, which was exactly what I needed! Choice of homemade dressings, I picked the creamy Parmesan after our waitress recommended it, it was hard to choose as they all sounded so good! Again, no disappointment, so tasty with chunks of Parmesan and a light, but full flavor, it went well with my burger with melted cheddar on top. The burger itself was so good, slightly crunchy on the outside, the inside was moist but not greasy, easy to chew. The cheese melted on top was also crispy on the edges (just perfect!) making the entire meal tasty and left me wanting more, even though the portion was a perfect size! Can’t wait to go back.

2  Thank laenie
Reviewed October 18, 2012

When I first visited Family Tree Recipe's - I didn't know what to expect because allI saw was this Old Truck with old and wonderful things attached to it at a lot on the roadside. Then I went in with friends to investigate and WOW. We spent about 3 hours there because I so enjoyed the unusual decor (family treasures and collections of unusual items). We were told by the owners, Brent and Terryl Scott, that Brent was the designer and builder of most of the restaurant and surrounding wooded area.

We had their home cooked breakfast - and it was so good we had to eat every bite and then groan because we were so full....but happy. We wander the property enjoying the scenes they designed, the "Truck" out front and so many more things we cannot begin to tell you.

We have been back as they have added more and more to the decor, including an area incorporting tortoises. It is handicap-friendly and the owners and staff are even more friendly. And the "Family Tree Reclpes" are fabulous, especially the luncheon dessert SAVE ROOM.

In Short, this little, out of the way, rural feeling family restaurant is worth everyone's time to visit and enjoy. I promise you won't go just once.

1  Thank Antique9410