“One of the most fabulous B&Bs in Texas”

Woodbine Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Madisonville
Dallas, Texas
“One of the most fabulous B&Bs in Texas”
Reviewed September 6, 2010

The owner and chef, Susan, provided an absolutely fabulous experience for my colleagues and me. The rooms were invitingly comfortable, the whirlpool bath tub was the perfect end to a busy day, and the fresh hot breakfast was to die for! Who knew french toast could taste so much like heaven??!! Susan was more than accommodating of our needs and Max the chihuahua was an awesome co-host!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank angelfitz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Huntsville, Texas
Reviewed July 25, 2010

I was part of the first quilting retreat held at the Woodbine Hotel. Upon arrival, our sewing tables were in place, electricity was arranged, ironing boards were up, and many snacks were provided to keep up our strength so that we could sew into the night.

The rooms were a vision of another life time in history. Each room had it's own personality and was full of artifacts from the past that included antique bathroom fixtures, furniture, drapes, ornate woodwork, and much more. I could close my eyes and envision life as my grandmother did as a child, young bride, mother and grandmother. It has inspired me to make many of the old time quilts that were used in the early 1900's.

Our Inn Keeper and Host, Susan, made sure we tasted the best cuisine imaginable. She served us prime rib, shrimp, fruits, salads, and so much more. Her rattlesnake ranch pecan coated french toast is superb! This was a treat to all of us. We did not have to cook any meals, or eat the retreat staples of cold cuts, salads, etc. We were treated royaly!

I had just undergone foot surgery seven days before our quilt retreat. The only negative experience for me was having to go up and down stairs. There is NO elevator. That said, I would crawl up the stairs to have another experience at the Woodbine Hotel. After the hotel was closed to the public for dining, Susan and her husband would come upstairs and visit with us. They have so many interesting stories to tell and share.

In conclusion, the room, utilities, food, service, and friendship was more than I could ask for. I give it a five-star rating and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank memaflanagin
Mont Belvieu, Texas
Reviewed April 28, 2010

Wasn't sure what to expect after reading some of the previous reviews, but the pictures and descriptions on the website convinced us to give it a try. We arrived around 6PM and were able to check-in without any issues, everyone we spoke to were friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is an old historic building and as such is full of interesting architectural oddities and ornate moldings. Everything about the building and rooms was old and interesting and we enjoyed the uniqueness of the whole experience. Our room wasn't huge, but it was plenty big enough for the two of us and our motorcycle gear. Our dinner at the hotel restaurant was very good with a good selection of entrees. The portobello mushroom salad, prime rib salad and salmon entrees were well prepared and presented, total cost of our meals, with a bottle of local Texas wine and desert was $61, which we thought was very reasonable. The breakfast included with the room was complete and cooked to order, I had an omelet and the wife the pecan waffles, both of which were well prepared. The proprietor was our "waitress" and was most gracious. The room and building were clean and well kept but still had character and a unique ambiance. As we were leaving we asked the proprietor the location of the nearest hardware store as a odd sized metric screw had broken in one of our helmets and needed replacement. She summoned her husband who disappeared with the helmet and returned a few minutes later with new screw installed. Now that's service you won't get at any chain hotel. All the employees and staff we saw and spoke to were friendly and ready to help and/or show us all the nooks and crannies of the old building. If you are looking forward to staying in a sterile, cookie cutter hotel room this isn't the place for you, but if you are looking for something a little off the beaten path and with old time character I highly recommend the Woodbine. Our one night stay was very comfortable and we left refreshed, with every intention of returning in the near future.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nomadbiker
madisonville
Reviewed July 30, 2009

Rude waitress, I think she was the manager. Service was slow, I guess, never even recieved a refill of water. Food was bad also.
The building was in need of repair. Old curtains with stains.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
tmer25
Reviewed April 19, 2009

I had stayed here years ago and was very pleased, this was no longer the case. The service was horrible, people were very rude, and the food was average at best. Would no longer recommend the Woodbine to anyone.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed June 24, 2008

We had to go into the kitchen to find someone who could check us in. The bed had torn linens. The security light from the adjacent city vehicle lot shined brightly all night. The roar from the window air conditioner was a constant distraction as it cycled through its on/off action all night. The evening meal of prime rib was tolerable but the desserts were probably three days old. The free breakfast was not worth it. Check out worked the same as the check in...no one was available. My wife was apprehensive at the notion of staying at a B&B and after this experience I doubt I will ever get her to try another. Madisonville looks like a quaint town but there is absolutely nothing to do after 5pm. I wish I could have been kinder.

• Liked — The historic appeal.
  • Disliked — Food.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 20, 2008

We came to Madisonville for a small family reunion and this room was gifted to us as a birthday present. Considering the cost of the room, it was a lavish gift! I am so thankful for it.

However, when we checked in the room, all of the towels were dirty... left over and used from the previous people who were staying there. I am glad we had our own towel!!

The waste baskets were still full of beer bottles from the previous lodgers.

In the night stand, was a big pile of very personal papers of the previous lodgers as well as a couple very big buck knives that obviously didn't come in the room.

I couldn't find the manager, so I left a message on the answering machine. The manager comes knocking on our door at 11pm at night, waking us up, She seemed put out by this. She said all the right words 'i'm sorry for the inconvienience... bla bla bla'.. but the words were empty and I felt like I was doing something wrong by asking for a clean room.

The building is beautiful!! We took some fabulous pictures there. Breakfast was out of this world. They were setting up for their sunday brunch while we were eating, and it looked scrumptious! This is something I would like to try one day.

Overall, it's a nice enough building with good food, but based on the cleanliness of the room and the attitude of the management, in my opinion, they don't rely on much repeat business.

• Liked — It's a beautiful old building that is nicely restored.
  • Disliked — Dirty room and rude staff.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madisonville
Best Western Executive Inn & Suites
#4 of 5 in Madisonville
Days Inn Centerville
Days Inn Centerville
#1 of 2 in Centerville

Been to Woodbine Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!