“WOW! Best Bar-B-Q in Texas....the World!”
Review of City Market

City Market
Ranked #2 of 23 Restaurants in Luling
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Yes.....This IS the Best Bar-B-Q in Texas......No the USA.........No the world! Take my word for it, this Bar-B-Q beats anything in Lockhart, Austin, Dallas, Houston or Georgia for that matter. I was working in Yoakum and I was able to make it to Luling before the restaurant closed. This is not "fine dining" for there are no plates ( you eat on a sheet of butcher paper), your knife and fork is plastic, and you will get a soft drink in a bottle. Walk directly to the back of the restaurant to load up on beef brisket, beef ribs, and especially the sausage "links". The butcher will pull your meat directly off the pit and slice it to your request. Add slices of white bread if you want a sandwich and make sure you add one or two sausage rings. They will knock your socks off. Pay the man and head out to any old table or booth. Get your sauce and drink at tjhe front counter and cod slaw, potato salad, or beans. I don't bother. I just want the beef! Now, dig in!

1  Thank wildbillwww

Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

We stopped at this restaurant as we were passing through luling. We tried the ribs, the brisket, and the sausage. Everything had a good and unique flavor, But the ribs and brisket were very dry. The sauce was good, but it really just tasted like a honey mustard sauce. It was a nice unique place to try, but I wouldn't go out of my way to come back.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

This was a unique experience. You first go into the smoker room in the back of the store and order and pay for you meat. You then find a seat and proceed to goto the middle of the store and order and pay for your sides. Never been to a place where you pay for each item separately and in different locations. By the way, they only take cash...so make sure you bring plenty. The brisket really was the best brisket this Floridian has ever tasted. I also loved their sauce. I smoked sausage rings were ok. We didn't try the ribs. I could eat the brisket all day, it was that good. It was worth pulling off the road to give this place a try.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

When I first moved to Texas, I researched Texas barbecue, and quickly realized that to get the good stuff...I was going to have to drive...so I made the 500 mile round trip to Luling and Llano to try two of the most hyped BBQ restaurants....both were good..but City Market was definitely the best...

And though it was not enough to convert me (Texans can't have the best barbecue when they don't even use the right animal), I was very impressed...the simplicity and the flavor is something that should be experienced...it's not NC barbecue, but it's really good..

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Our cousins from Lockhart took us here on our visit to Texas and I've never had any better BBQ anywhere. We had the brisket, ribs, chicken, and sausage. All were great and don't use the sauce, you don't need it. Great experience!