“Good Day for Us”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I was in Luling with some of my colleagues for business. We are a bunch of foodies, but all love BBQ so we overwhelming voted for City Market as our lunch destination. Although the staff was a little surly, the food was great. My brisket was melt in your mouth good and the beans were wonderful. Skip the potato salad - it was pretty boring. I have read the other reviews and some are pretty bad. Perhaps it's was a "bad meat day." Ha! We were extremely pleased with our experience.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I agree with some of the comments of other reviewers: I only thought the brisket was so-so, but the hot links were truly great. But the best part of this place is the atmosphere, particularly the fact that the smoker and meat service area are inside their own room, inside the restaurant itself. A classic arrangement--not as classic as the old Kruez (now Smitty's) in Lockhart, but close. Lack of any unsweetened tea is a problem, and you need to go to a separte counter to get cheese and drinks. Luling is about 45 minutes east of San Antonio and a nice town to wander around. Watermelon capital of Texas; oil derricks decorated with cutesy art; an outdoor market; and a nice petroleum museum.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stopped in for lunch with 2 of our grandsons on the way from San Antonio to Dallas the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The brisket was the best I believe I have ever had anywhere. The ribs were fantastic and the sausage was good although I was disappointed that they did not have a jalapeño sausage on their menu. Loved the sauce. I have eaten at most all of the great BBQ places in Texas and I rank City Market right up at the top of the list!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Sure the locals love it and this place has LIVED on it's reputation for decades. BUT. Not so pretty good. Stooped there recently to get the "best" BBQ in Texas. Plaah! Go in the back smoke room and order beef (can't get chopped) or sausage. Served on brown butcher paper with some white bread. That's OK. Sit at a common table inside and go get your drinks and sides for an extra price. Self service here. Wait for a waitress to bring around a squeeze bottle of BBQ sauce. That's OK. We did all that, and the sausage was OK, but the brisket looked like roast beef my Mom served. It was juicy and smoked but lacked the crusty exterior and pick interior of what even a Yankee would expect. That's not OK. I was raised in North Central Texas and I know good BBQ. This ain't it. I am so disappointed. Don't even bother to get off I-10 to go here. Find a Rudy's or go to Mickey D's for a Mac-Rib.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

If you want to experience really bad Texas BBQ be sure to visit this place. Ribs, (which were supposed to be exquisite} had obviously been cooked days before and re heated. The sausage, (I asked for a dry link) was fatty and you could taste the fat.

I ordered an iced tea unsweetened, someone behind the counter stated that all they had was sweetened with artificial sweeteners and artificial lemon.

Why would anyone in their right mind stop here for BBQ when several of the best BBQ joints in Texas are located approximately 15 miles north in Lockhart.

Do not waste your time in this place.

1  Thank rpnsr