“Awesome”
Review of Bryan's Smokehouse Bar-B-Q - CLOSED

Bryan's Smokehouse Bar-B-Q
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Bryan's has awesome food hospitality a must try !!!! Mmmmm the Show is better than I thought , lufkin has a great place to eat not fake food real food that's good for you .

1  Thank Calleemarie1

Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

We looked for some BBQ on a Sunday, and as you probably know, it is a tough job to find a good BBQ place open, but we did. We tried a little of everything. Ribs, sausage, and brisket were all very good. Also, the baked potatoes were large and tasted good with the brisket on top. Staff was very pleasant and owner was on premise.

1  Thank cpheller
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I saw this place on Restaurant Impossible. I loved the ribs and chili! Definitely would go back again if I'm in town.

1  Thank travelingtmans
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Once again it was necessary for me to make the long, tedious drive from Dallas to Lufkin. Some brief googling led me to Bryan's Smokehouse, which had been recently renovated by critically-acclaimed chef Robert Irvine and his Restaurant: Impossible crew. I couldn't resist!

Sadly, I found myself a little unimpressed with the renovation, although I don't know what it looked like before, so maybe it is an improvement. I liked the decor in general, but it just didn't seem to fit; it was a little uppity for barbecue. Apparently Bryan's wasn't allowing cameras inside until after their episode of Restaurant: Impossible airs on Food Network sometime in May. Luckily, I've never been one for following the rules. Looks like I got the scoop on this one!

I ended up ordering a Two Meat Combo of sausage and sliced brisket, with potato salad and baked beans on the side. After ordering, I sat down to wait for them to bring out my lunch. The lunch crowd (if you can call it that) amounted to a total of six people. Despite the lack of customers, it took over 10 minutes to get my food. All they had to do was slice the meat and stick it on a plate.

The potato salad looked like nothing more than mashed potatoes sitting on the plate, with no visible spices of any kind. I found absolutely no crunch from vegetables. Basically, it tasted like cold mashed potatoes with a little mustard mixed in. The beans were chunky, mushy, and tasted no different than a can of Bush's baked beans. There was no pepper or spiciness at all. I don't know if Chef Robert modified their bean recipe, but I suspect not.

My sausage had big visible bits of cracked pepper, which was a good sign. I liked the flavor of the vinegar-based sauce; it was just applied a little too heavily. The sausage was very finely ground, although I won't criticize them just because I happen to prefer a more coarse grind. All of the black pepper gave the sausage a nice kick, and the rest of the seasonings were pretty tasty too.

The brisket came with a beautiful black crust and a pronounced red smoke ring. That being said, I couldn't get a good grasp of the smoke level because the brisket was drowning in their potent, acidic sauce. It was also a little difficult to cut with the accompanying butter knife. Some pieces were ok, but most of the brisket was dry and tough. The fatty slices had a half-inch thick strip of rubbery unrendered fat along the edge. Maybe they need a new meat supplier.

Sorry Chef Robert, but this place still needs a lot of improvement. My guess is that they've backtracked quite a bit since his renovation. Although, the best decor in the world can't make up for bad food and bad service.

Read my full review, complete with pictures:

The Barbecue Fiend

UPDATE (April 29, 2013): After posting my review of Bryan's Smokehouse, I was contacted by their owner, Lynn Marie Bryan. Ms. Bryan was combative, rude, and unapologetic as far as my disappointing dining experience was concerned. I can certainly understand the frustration that any restaurant owner must feel upon reading negative criticism of his or her establishment. However, if this is the way that Ms. Bryan chooses to address customer complaints (particularly in a public forum), it's not surprising that their business is dwindling. My full response is posted on my blog.

16  Thank Jared K