“Very nice, extremely clean and well maintained zoo.”
Review of Ellen Trout Zoo

Ellen Trout Zoo
Reviewed January 11, 2011

We were visiting my mom in the Lufkin area and wanted to take the kids to the zoo. We recognized the fact they were expanding but that did not slow us down at all. It was a chilly day so the animals were active and made the trip so worth while. The paths were nicely trimmed with lots of growth, we loved looking at the designs on the sidewalks and the place was so clean. Before we went to the zoo, we watched the videos on-line and liked seeing some of the babies had grown up. We really enjoyed the Ellen Trout Zoo and would highly recommend it to others.

2  Thank mdreiss2
"run free"
"free roaming"
"interesting animals"
in 4 reviews
"large variety of animals"
"concession stand"
"lufkin area"
"giraffes"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed December 15, 2010

This has become a favorite place to spend an afternoon. Nice variety of animals! The paths are winding and well tended.

2  Thank medswab
Reviewed October 23, 2010

The road around the zoo was closed because it is under construction. We had to park at the Rodeo Parking Area and walk about 800 feet (partially in sand) to get to the entrance of the zoo. There is no way anyone handicapped could have even gotten to the zoo. We were pushing 2 babies in strollers (through the sand). Then there was the temporary orange fencing that was knocked down. We weren't even sure that was the zoo entrance. My brother in law stepped up about a 18" "nothing" to get to the sidewalk to ask if this was the zoo entrance. The lady said yes. So .... you got it ..... it took 2 adults to lift each child up in their stroller to get to the sidewalk. Then after paying $5 each, we saw peacocks walking around, 1 bear who wasn't moving (the sign said he had arthritis very bad in his wrists and was under treatment of a veterinarian. He never moved. We saw 2 raccoons who were very active. We saw some monkeys. 4 alligators or crocodiles of which none of them ever moved. 3 were just laying in the water. 1 was on shore. It's teeth were showing, but he was dirty I guess from having rain splashed up on him, however, we haven't had rain here in I don't know how long. As a matter of fact, we are in a drought situation and a burn ban is on. I am totally convinced they were fake. We saw a hippo under the water. 4 giraffe at a distance (these were the best animals and habitat the zoo had). 1 tiger, 1 leopard. And a whole lot of birds. That's it! We paid $1 each to ride the little train. The train ride was okay. There was no "welcome aboard" or "hope you enjoyed the ride", or anything. I'm not sure where their southern hospitality was today, but I tell you what .... I will not be going back to this so called zoo.

6  Thank 1like2travel
Reviewed July 22, 2010

I've been through Lufkin numerous times and didn't even know the zoo existed until my dad told me about it last week. What a find! It is small enough so that it's easy to see the whole thing in a couple of hours, but big enough to keep you coming back. I lost track of how many times we thought "Wow, look at what's over here!" The only improvement I would recommend is either a printed map or a big overall map near the entrance. There was 1 or 2 times that we backtracked to be sure we hadn't missed something since we weren't sure where a path was taking us. It did not detract from the overall experience though.

4  Thank swfcpilot