“Terrible”

Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Terrible”
Reviewed February 17, 2012

The Ellen Trout Zoo is an absolute joke, even for a small-town zoo. I can't believe it is getting positive reviews. People must have no idea what they're seeing. I've been there several times just to prove to people how unbelievable awful it is. The herps on display are all overfed and probably dying of kidney and liver failure. I've heard even worse about the herps that are not on display. There are two raccoons on exhibit that happen to belong to one of the zoo people. There are several empty enclosures. The hippo pool is WAAAAAY too small and way too easy to climb into. Many of the birds seem distressed. Every time I've gone the children's train hasn't been running. I can't think of any animal displays that make this zoo special except for the Louisiana Pine Snake on display, if it hasn't already died. Inside the zoo I was most impressed with the palm garden.

The highlight of the zoo is the lake outside where you have the chance to see some happy waterfowl and a gator or two. Last time I went I saw two bald eagles flying around as I was leaving.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank mulleina

Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic zoo”
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Well maintained and amazing amount of animals for a small town zoo. Worth the trip for all ages.

Louisville, Kentucky
“I belong in the zoo!”
Reviewed December 24, 2011

I am biased. I grew up in Lufkin. My folks took me to the zoo often when I was a young girl. My Poppa and I would get the African Crowned Cranes to dance! I miss Hippy and Jamie!

Visited March 2011
Livingston, Texas
“Unknown Treasure”
Reviewed October 17, 2011

What a special treasure. We took 2 two-year-olds and they had a great time. Easy to see animals, lovely shaded park, pretty train ride. Only one negative, which we will resolve by bringing our own meal, the concession stand has candy, sodas, nachos and frito pie. Nothing for our little ones to eat. Suggest adding hot dog, corn dog or chick strips and milk or juice, We plan to join as members and visit regularly.

Visited October 2011
Nacogdoches, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A Nice Little Zoo”
Reviewed October 5, 2011

It was a clean, shaded zoo. I thought they had a good variety of animals and insects. There was a concession stand with almost any kind of treat a kid could ask for. And a gift shop, too, for memories. Outside the zoo you can go for train ride, fish in the lake or play on several different playgrounds. There were pavilion areas set up for gatherings. Overall, it's a great place to visit and the kids had a good time. The only thing they did miss is getting to interact with animals like at some other zoos. Oh yeah...unless you count all the peacocks running around everywhere.

Visited October 2011