“Manhattan Fine Dining, Fine is Relative”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Manhattan

Manhattan
Ranked #6 of 119 Restaurants in Lufkin
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
The Colony, TX
“Manhattan Fine Dining, Fine is Relative”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Manhattan Fine Dining aspires to be a fine dining establishment. Perhaps in Lufkin, there is a different definition of fine. The food was unimpressive and the service uneven.
The restaurant is located in the basement of a downtown Lufkin office building. The entrance and elevator ride to the basement sets an expectation of Mad Men style ambiance, successfully created by the well-maintained vintage elevator and lobby. Being a fan of restoration rather than replacement, that ride was the highlight of the evening.
Our group had reservations. We were greeted and seated promptly at a table for six covered with a real white tablecloth. The lighting was low and comfortable, augmented by an aquarium of tropical fish. Our attentive waiter took the drink order and delivered a description of the specials of the evening. There was no beer listed on the menu, but they do have the standard big names. (I suggest they add some local micro brews. Texas has a few good ones.) I ordered a glass of house red; Cellar #8 Pinot Noir served in a heavy wine glass. I expected a finer goblet, but the wine was well rounded, mellow, satisfying and not expensive at $6.50.
The group ordered from the menu, main dishes running from around $12 to $24. We stuck to beef and chicken, although they had selection of veal and seafood. Everything comes with salad and breadsticks. The salad was an average lettuce mix with a savory sundried tomato house dressing. The breadstick were commercial and reaheated, the saving grace being the absence of foil wrapped butter. Real softened butter was served to the table on a small plate.The food was served, with two orders wrong. Potatoes and vegetables were served rather than the requested pasta with the chicken parmesan. A “grilled” prime rib with Oscar sauce was delivered rather than a plain grilled prime rib. The waiter apologized, and promised to make it right. After a few minutes, the owner also stopped by, and offered to make it right. He finally brought the pasta. They offered to comp the upgrade prime rib.
The Oscar sauce was what tasted like canned crab meat in a very bland grayish hollandaise sauce poured over the lightly grilled beef. The prime rib was raw inside and fatty, very tough to cut, practically inedible. This was not fine in any sense. After it was sent back, the replacement was not much better, smaller by half, and much too salty. One expects prime rib to be very beefy in flavor and reasonably tender even when rare. The idea of grilled prime rib is odd when it is actually prepared like steak. The beef is not roasted rare, but cooked like a steak. What is rare when roasted is raw when grilled.
The other dining companions found their meals to be adequate, not special. The service may have just been a bit of bad communication, but the food preparation seemed rushed and careless. The experience was disappointing, but there could be potential here. With some menu adjustments, reexamination of recipes and cooking techniques, this place could be a real find dining establishment.

• Visited April 2013

Fayetteville, Arkansas
“The most amazing restaurant!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

While visiting Lufkin, we had Manhatten's restaurant recommended........and we're so glad we did!! We loved everything about it!! The decor was wonderful and the food even better! Not one single complaint!! I had the steak stuffed with goat cheese filling......out of this world! And the Taramisu was the best I have ever eaten! The owner, Destin, is a very charming host....loved it so, I hugged him when we left! BTW, the service was great!

• Visited February 2013
Lufkin, Texas
“Don't be fooled by the white tablecloths”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

The food was extremely heavy on all spices, my friend could not eat hers so I traded with her because I like spicy food. Alas I could not eat it either. And the cajun dish has so much cayenne it was inedible. The Italian dish tasted like it had a tablespoon of tex-mex chili powder in the tomato sauce. The salad was limp and unappetizing. Just terrible. The people who had steak were more satisfied but said the steaks were on the tough side.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank Marilyn B
Lufkin, TX
“Okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

This is "a nice restaurant" and I've been twice and not been overwhelmingly impressed. They have a very good menu, but on my first visit (dinner), the service was awful. Our server was simply rude and childish, afraid to ask the chef any questions for our vegetarian friends, saying he would get yelled at. The second time I went, for business lunch, we had better service. I ordered the Chicken Schnitzel which was absolutely delicious, for 9.99. The side dishes are the questionable part- it came with asparagus (as noted on the menu), but only about 3 stalks, but also came with spaghetti noodles with marinara sauce just as the Chicken Parmesan plates did. This confused me, as I don't think I needed spaghetti when my dish was not marinara based, and I wish I'd had more vegetables. The piece of chicken was very large and filling, though, and as I said, amazingly delicious.

Visited February 2012
Lufkin, Texas
“Great Food, Service and Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Located in the basement of the Perry Bldg. in Lufkin, TX, the decor reminds of a New York Steak House, but with a menu unlike you will find in any big city. This is the place for special occasions and business dinners, they have a great lunch also. The owner Destin is a great host and his staff is excellent. We always eat at Manhattan when in Lufkin with freinds and everyone loves the experience.

• Visited December 2012