“Wasn't as remembered”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Having been to Ralph & Kakoo's December 2011, we were looking forward to another opportunity as we had such great memories; especially the wonderful rolls. Our hosts brought us from Nacogdoches and we were all eager. The rolls while tasty, hot and crispy were not the ones from before and not as memorable. One at our table had the grilled catfish and steamed vegetables which were outstanding. Another had the sirloin steak and reported it was good though only average. The other couple did not have such positive experiences. They will go back another time, but were disappointed that their "favorites" had declined and would order something else.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

When working in Lufkin I always have to eat at this restaurant at least once during the week. Do not consider this the best Cajun around but the food is consistently good from my perspective. Our waiter was excellent and very attentive. I enjoyed the oysters on the half shell and followed up with their grilled Mahi. My guest enjoyed their all you can eat shrimp special for that night and we topped it off with the bread pudding. Their draft beers are fairly priced (stick with the talls for the best value) and they had an acceptable selection. Be back next time I am in town.

1  Thank CheshireTurkey
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This place was a bit disappointing. I was hopeful for more cajun flavor given the theme of the restaurant. However, it was truly form over substance. Neither really good, nor really bad. It is a reasonable place for a kind of expensive lunch.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Thanksgiving weekend we were in Lufkin visiting relatives. We saw the Ralph & Kacoo's from the freeway and decided to go there for dinner the first night. We had eaten at R & K's once before at another location and thought it was excellent. This visit did not live up to our expectations. We are from south Louisiana and know what fresh Cajun seafood should be like. The food was really awful! I had fried shrimp that were not fresh and looked like they had been pre-breaded and frozen. My husband had a chicken fried steak that was tough and not very appetizing. The mashed potatoes and gravy were cold. The service was only adequate.

We were in town again for Christmas holiday and relatives picked us up to go to dinner. I almost said that we would go anywhere EXCEPT Ralph and Kakoo's and sure enough, that is where they took us. We had a group of six and sat on the patio which was heated and had live music. The music was by far the best thing about the evening. The service was awful and the service mediocre at best. It took forever to get our food and when we did get it, some of it was cold. Our relatives agreed that it was a huge disappointment. This location certainly does not live up to the others.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is part of a small chain of four restaurants, this being the only location in Texas. The food is mainstream cajun. I would not consider any of it gourmet on the national scale. A lot of the menu is geared to people that want value for their dollar over quality. The portions are substantial, but not overbearing. They do have a nice selection of gator on the menu and plenty of crawfish options. If you want to try cajun style food this is a great introduction.
The interior is nice enough, but closer to the diner style than I would like.
On an objective scale I would say it is nicer than what you might consider a Cajun "Olive Garden." Relative to the National market I would put it on par or a little better than a Bubba-Gump, but not quite as nice / good as a Cheesecake Factory or Claim Jumper, neither of those two being Cajun, just exemplars.
It gets bonus points for a very good dessert platter and a nice bar. In the summer there is a great patio for outdoor dining and they promote a lot of live music. If I lived in Lufkin, I could see going here often. As it is, it is a good lunch stop on the Tyler - Houston drive right on the highway.