“Nice surprise”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice surprise”
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Good find. Very good food and good prices for what was served. Fine dining at fast food prices. Would stop again.

Texarkana,Texas
“The Best Place to Eat in Lufkin!”
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Wow! Where do I begin to share our wonderful dining experience this past week at Ralph & Kacoo's?

Since we were passing through Lufkin, we decided to stop here for lunch. As we had never eaten at any of the Ralph & Kacoo's restaurants, we really did not know what to expect. We couldn't have been more surprised and pleased as punch with our choice.

Although this restaurant chain is mainly known for their Seafood, it is all that and so much more! As they also serve the Certified Angus Beef Steaks brand, I ordered the Chopped Steak which was served with the vegetable of the day, green beans, and seasoned potatoes. Absolutely wonderful! My brother had the Fettuccini Alfredo which consisted of Shrimp and Lump Crabmeat which was tossed in a flavorful and rich Alfredo Sauce. And please, please don't get me started on their tempting desserts! I had initially decided to forego dessert because I am trying to lose weight. However, I couldn't resist the temptation to sample something from their bountiful dessert tray. I must say that their Banana Foster Cheesecake is to-die-for! This is high praise, indeed, since as an ex-New Yorker, I consider myself somewhat of a cheesecake connoisseur!

Even though the restaurant has an English Club atmosphere with their wait staff formally dressed in the European manner, Ralph & Kacoo's is a very informal and casual restaurant.

We are so very pleased that we decided to lunch here but it won't be the last time. Next time, I plan on selecting something from their Bayou Specialties, Louisiana or Grill Platters or a Southern Fried Classic!

• Visited October 2011
Houston, Texas
“All atmosphere!”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Crab cakes way below expectations. Some foods perpared ahead of time and served later. Food that should be hot served warm. Salad starting to wilt some.

“The food is not fit to eat”
Reviewed January 30, 2011

I have been a fan of their sea food platter. But if you want fish , shrimp and oysters that have been cooked days and heated in a microwave this is for you. Their quality has gone to nothing. And the last time I ordered I even told them I wanted it hot, fresh and cooked today. That was not what I got.

Baltimore, MD
“Best restaurant in Lufkin but food has little taste”
Reviewed July 8, 2010

The portions where huge and the desserts were good, but overall I don't get the hype about this place.

The prices are pretty high, and the food is actually bland. We went here recently on all-you-can-eat shrimp night, and the fried shrimp just had a dry, basic taste to them. Almost like the oil was old and they didn't season the batter or salt the shrimp when they came out.

Also, what is up with the gumbo at this place? First time I went here, the gumbo was nice and smooth and was loaded with big chunks of seafood.

This past time I got a bowl and it was this big gloppy mess that almost looked like it was starting to curdle a little. And there were just specs of seafood. I also had to add about a half cup of hot sauce since it was so bland.

The choices for eating around Lufkin are pretty bad, and this place could be the best if they could be more consistent with their seasoning. It also wouldn't hurt to lower the prices a little.

Just my .02