“Good experience, oriented more toward family than business”

Studio 6 Lubbock TX
Ranked #26 of 70 Hotels in Lubbock
Reviewed August 21, 2010

I arrived late, and had no problems checking in, and got a very good recommendation on a dinner place close by (Buffalo Wild Wings, recommended). Parking was easy. Finding my room was a little tough, as the number on the building signage was wrong (I think there was an "oops" during the renovation) but I found the room as soon as I learned to eyeball the numbers on the doors. I was a little bummed to have to hand carry my (huge) suitcase up to a second floor room. But, even though I had requested a first floor room, I was glad for the booking on the second floor due to the amount of noise in the main courtyard/pool area. It wasn't horribly - just a lot of families and kids playing, swimming, bbq'ing and socializing. I was just passing through and needed a bed for the night, and was glad to be up high where I was largely insulated from the noise. But do note there are no elevators - each group of rooms is in its own little building - almost detached condo style - and so has its own staircase.

The room was a little musty smelling, but it was very minor. The overall size of the suite was very large and roomy. The bed was comfortable, and the room overall was clean and well kept. The FREE (wired) internet worked (did not try wireless). There was a kitchen, refrigerator, stove and more - but I didn't use it at all so can't really speak to them, other than to observe all seemed pretty new and in good repair. Linens and toiletries were fine, and all plumbing worked well.

Overall, I would probably stay there again as a biz solo traveler. I would definitely consider this for any family travel, it is definitely a family oriented place.

This was an abbreviated stay (just in at night, out on the road in the morning) and this is probably an overkill property for that, but it scored well in the areas I look for on an overnight stay: easy parking, easy checkin, good bed, clean bathroom, quiet (and working) A/C.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank GibsonCRG

Reviewed July 30, 2010

My husband and I travel with our small granddaughter and have a hard time finding rooms which work for us. Our room at this hotel had some good features and should have been fine, but the french doors opening from the bedroom into the living area without any curtains on them makes it difficult for everyone. This means that each of us has to go into the tiny bathroom to dress. Some opaque curtains on these doors would make all the difference.

The way the hotel is configured means that there are no elevators and never will be. Each set of rooms has its own stairway (narrow and steep).

There is little parking and since our room was on the back side of the hotel, we had to make several long trips to the parking lot to get all our stuff to the room - no luggage carts either.

I would never stay here again even though the hotel was clean, located in a great area, and the staff were very accommodating. The breakfast was good too.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2010

We stayed in a very spacious suite that had 2 very comfortable queen size beds. The suite was much like an apartment. It had a living area with a fireplace and nice work desk area; the kitchen had full size appliances (Range with oven, microwave, Refrigerator with freezer & dishwaser.) The rooms have central air & heat and the A/C really worked well. The rooms & the hotel property were extreamly clean and pleaseing to the eye. The property was much like a small apartment complex. the complimentary wireless internet worked perfectly. The full breakfast buffet was awesome. It had everything and the food was hot and tasted really good. In the evening they had a social time where we were treated to drinks and different kinds of wings. We visited with Amanda the Sales director and enjoyed her wonderful personality. This was very nice. One of the best things about our experience was the staff. They were all so friendly & accommodating. We had a nine month old and when we checked in were promptly asked if we needed a crib. We declined at check-in, but requested one the next morning and it was promplty delivered to us. This was a wonderful place to stay and we will definitely stay here in the future. We were very impressed! Thank you Amanda & staff for your wonderful attitudes and taking such good care of us!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2010

My first night I thought someone with really bad body odor had slept there. I kept the door open and bought Febreze the next day. When I got back from my business the odor was unbearable, I tried the same thing again. The next morning I did not hear my alarm clock and overslept (I never do that). Today 16 July I returned from my business and the room was so bad I could not stay in it. I went to the desk and the attendant came down and even she could not go in the the room. The maintenance man was off duty. I was immediately moved,, but my headache will probably take days to go away and my throat is still sore, even after fresh air. The replacement room is better

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Check-In/Lobby: The lobby was undergoing renovation when I entered. I had no problems checking in and the front desk staff was courteous and efficient.

Room: (Cleanliness, Noise, Space, Electronics, Renovation, Location of Room)
The rooms here have been recently remodeled. The full kitchens now have stainless appliances and granite countertops. The furniture was also updated into the general Marriott modern style (see my pictures). I stayed at this hotel last year and everything looked tired. The renovation was needed. Unfortunately, the TV had not been updated and was still the tiny 27” tube TV. The rooms are very large, about apartment size.

Previously, the hotel only had wired internet (and it also still says that on the website), now they have wireless internet that was fairly fast for a hotel connection. The noise level was low as I was on the second floor. The building is apartment-style with exterior entrances, expect to carry your luggage up stairs if you’re on the second floor (no elevator). Cleanliness was a slight issue (see below). Overall, a nice room.

Problems/Concerns: The carpet in the vanity area was wet and there was no hot water. I contacted the front desk and was given a key to a vacant room to shower. Not so fun since it far from my room and cold. The front desk person was courteous but said in reference to giving me the key to the other room, “I won’t charge you for it.” Haha I would hope not!

The housekeeping at this hotel has always left something to be desired. In the past, I have found glasses with Coke in the bottom, hair in the bathroom, and dirty furniture. The situation currently has improved, but not by much. True to form, there was some hair in the tub area, it looked like the bar area hadn’t been wiped down, and when I walked up to the room in the window beside the door were nasty, stained sheers that definitely needed replacement (Room 721 or 722, can't remember). Not a huge deal, but still leaves room for improvement.

Area: The property is located near University and the Loop. It has a steakhouse just across the parking lot and a Target within walking distance. Tech is a fairly good distance away for Lubbock, but nothing beyond 10mins. There are established homes in the back of the property if you want to jog/walk in the area, it seems safe.

Additional Features: Breakfast, Manager’s Reception
I did not have time to enjoy the breakfast or managers reception. They have the manager’s reception on weekdays with a free food, free beer, and wine. The breakfast in the past has been the usual continental.

Points/Club/Upgrade:
Residence Inns are only 5 points per dollar instead of the usual 10. That’s a little disappointing. They did, however, upgrade me from a studio to a one bedroom, without me having to request, which was nice. I’ve stayed at this hotel many times last year and they never upgraded me, so that was a pleasant change.

Overall:
The hotel underwent a much-needed renovation and is still working out the quirks. In time this will be a very nice RI. Hopefully they can get the hot water situation and housekeeping under control. ;-)

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank KevinTexas
ttribby, Guest Relations Manager at Studio 6 Lubbock TX, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2010

Thank your for the review.
We are sorry your stay was disappointing.
We take your review seriously & will use this critique to improve our
service and product.
Thank you again & please call us when you are traveling to Lubbock again.
You will be pleased with the new changes!

Reviewed February 2, 2010

We stayed here with our daughter, son-in-law and 9 month old grand-daughter. We were in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit. Each bedroom had a king size bed. Our assigned room had a door that wouldn't close properly (there was a lot of snow and ice in the door frame) and they quickly moved us to another room. The rooms had been partially renovated. The carpet and paint looked new, but the wood furniture was scratched and dated. The bath had granite countertops and the sink unit looked new. I would like more towel racks. The kitchen was nice, especially for warming baby bottles. The pillows were fluffy but not much support. (I guess I should have asked for firmer pillows.) Overall the place was very clean. The staff was very friendly. Breakfast was good. The best surprise is that when I checked out my bill was actually $10.00 less than my confirmation on-line. I guess there was a weekend special. It was a very good value for us because we had 2 families in one room instead of paying for 2 separate motel rooms which would have been 2 times as much.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for your review and the time you took to let us know about the
things you experienced while staying at the Residence Inn Lubbock!
We look forward to seeing you again, during your next trip to Lubbock.

Reviewed October 4, 2009

First, the staff are great. But this does not make up for filthy rooms, no toilet paper (can you believe that- for $150 a night....not a square to spare...no hand towels on the vanity etc..no ice maker or ice ....and a bug actually crawled out of the sheets on to me. Gross!
The grounds are full of trash...... There was no excuse for the filthy conditions at the outrageous rates they were charging. They take advantage of the desperation and they abuse the "Marriott" logo. Try Townplace first if you want a Marriott. Its a little run down,
but nothing like this.

The staff at the check in desk were great and it is not their fault that the housekeeping and maintenece staff are non-existent.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business

Thank you for your review and feedback.
We are sorry your stay was disappointing.
We have used your review to improve our service and product.
If you are visiting Lubbock again, please call us....I think you
will be surprised at the great changes we have made to the
hotel!